Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Let's talk about foiling

Windsurfing shop talk

by JonathanP » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:41 am

shmish wrote:From what I remember, the swimming area at Ellison gets swimmers itch so there’s that too. Some people don’t react to it, but I do.

Michael, any problems going upwind when strapless? I feel like I really have to work the straps to get the windward rail down and head upwind. Or maybe there’s other problems with my technique.

Are you using both straps? I'm using only front straps and modulating my rear foot position a lot: Will go to the upwind rail of the board for upwind sailing while leaning my body out/extending legs as far as comfortable, middle for cruising, and on the downwind rail for jybes and cruising downwind. Also moving the rear foot forward when going faster and back when going slow. Tried using a rear strap before but found the position weird. Just purchased some half strap foot hooks to try out for the rear though
JonathanP

by shmish » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am

JonathanP wrote:Are you using both straps? I'm using only front straps and modulating my rear foot position a lot: Will go to the upwind rail of the board for upwind sailing while leaning my body out/extending legs as far as comfortable, middle for cruising, and on the downwind rail for jybes and cruising downwind. Also moving the rear foot forward when going faster and back when going slow. Tried using a rear strap before but found the position weird. Just purchased some half strap foot hooks to try out for the rear though

The last couple of times out I had my back footstraps in. I prefer without, but I'm a bit afraid of wearing out the screw and plug if I can adding and removing the straps, since I use the board for fin sailing too.

Now that you mention it, my overall stance probably wasn't optimal for heading upwind. The wind was a bit marginal for my sail size so I couldn't really lean back too much. "Just able to waterstart" seems like the ideal sail size for learning.

Ok, it looks like it's sunny in Squamish for this week. I get in the car and head out!
shmish

by Michael » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:26 pm

shmish wrote:Michael, any problems going upwind when strapless? I feel like I really have to work the straps to get the windward rail down and head upwind. Or maybe there’s other problems with my technique.

Sorry for the late reply but I really got to test this out on Saturday. I had my best foiling session yet, another few hours of strapless fun on the lake again. Wind was really steady and there was some really nice swell. Found a sweet spot for the back foot which made it really nice for riding swell. Got in some nice turns and was really close to foiling out of my jibes. I had no trouble sailing up wind, just needed to move my feet to the outside rail. However my SUP is 30" wide which might help and my foil really cranks up wind.
Michael

by shmish » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:14 pm

Practice practice practice. Good day at Nexen today. Had more power in the sail and no problems going upwind. Only one breach. Lots of whipeouts though which is really tiring. I’m having a lot of problems/pain with metatarsal injuries so when things are getting a bit iffy on the foil, I’m bailing. I don’t want to risk a crash and I don’t want to put too much force on my foot.

Tomorrow I may try Porteau.

Michael, I’m glad to hear things are going well. Sounds like fun.

Lots of wing toilets at Nexen, they outnumbered the fins and windfoils. I overheard at least people say this was their best day of the season.
shmish

by adam2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:31 pm

Wing toilets 8-)
adam2

by shmish » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:44 am

Ok, I have no idea why autospell would change wing foil to wing toilets.
shmish

by Mike » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Ok, finally resisted the reliable wind at Squamish and gave Harrison a go. It seems the iwindsurf sensor has not been accurate and often low. Word on the beach was that the HWS graph is abit optimistic (high). I wasn't looking at the HWS graph until yesterday.

No swell to ride on the lake but you do get gusty wind. ;)

Went without footstaps today and it's going to take a really good reason to go back. WAY better (for me) in all ways. I could move my feet to adjust to different wind levels and tacks (easier to find a good balance point). Kind of like kite surfboard strapless. Multiple almost flying jibes (probably be here for awhile). No footstraps makes my clumsy foot change a little easier.

Thanks Michael for sharing as I may not have tried this otherwise.
Mike

by Michael » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:59 pm

Mike wrote:Went without footstaps today and it's going to take a really good reason to go back. WAY better (for me) in all ways.

Awesome, stoked you liked it Mike! Way better for me as well.
Mike wrote:Thanks Michael for sharing as I may not have tried this otherwise.

No problem, I liked it so much I figured others would as well!
I'm heading back to the coast next week and looking forward to some strapless foiling out in Boundary Bay!
Michael

by shmish » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:05 am

Two nice but short days foiling at Porteau Cove. Warm air, warm water. Tuesday I joined BrianC who was already on the water with a 6.5 Hucker. I was using a 5.5 Retro and Moses 790, it was a good balance. Brian had 1.5hrs on the water, I had 1hr. We both had a small swim in as the current pushed our slogs back behind the ferry pier.

Yesterday the wind was even better when I got there at 1pm. 5.5 again. Port tack was great, I still touched down a few times but mostly in control and stable flight. Starboard tack I'm still breaching with some spectacular crashes but it's coming.

Brian, that car horn was still honking yesterday! The wind was a bit stronger and there was even a bit of smooth (small) swell. The wind slammed shut at 2pm.

Mike, that's awesome that you're moving on to jibes. I can't even imagine trying a jibe just yet.
shmish

by LeopardSkin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:42 pm

LeopardSkin

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing