Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Welcome to Coronatown - Beaches Closed

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Alton » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Alton

by 8mdude » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:32 pm

I think this is for the good of all.

I was on the market today and keeping distance to people just brought tears to my eyes.

I may feel invincible right now but others may not be so lucky so let's pull our weight together to stop spreading this virus.

Take care!
8mdude

by Slappy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Looks to me like beaches are still open, it's just the facilities that are closed

"Please help us keep beaches safe and open," tweeted park board general manager Malcolm Bromley Sunday morning, as the closure of facilities was announced.

I think it's odd they chose to close the tennis courts though as it's a good distance activity.
Slappy

by shmish » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Slappy wrote:Looks to me like beaches are still open, it's just the facilities that are closed

"Please help us keep beaches safe and open," tweeted park board general manager Malcolm Bromley Sunday morning, as the closure of facilities was announced.

I think it's odd they chose to close the tennis courts though as it's a good distance activity.

I was thinking that tennis would be a good COVID sport until I thought about all the sweat on a person's hand which then transfers to the ball, which then......
shmish

by mjamero » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:35 am

In regards to Locarno/Jericho. Is it OK to park or will you get ticked/fined for just parking and rigging there? The restrooms are closed I imagine? If you are by yourself or maybe one other sailor for safety, quickly rig, then are on the water it's a pretty solitary process. Lots of social distance when you are on the water.
mjamero

by imdmitry » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:54 pm

Can we launch from Centenial Beach, if it's closed is it going to be ok to launch from3d Ave.
Sat and Sun forecast is 20-30kn.
imdmitry

by Brian C » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Parking at Jericho is probably hard to find now that all the lots are closed, but as far as I know, wind sports are still permitted locally. Let’s keep it that way by spreading out in rigging areas and practicing exceptionally good social distancing. Our preference to “shoot the breeze” with our friends before and after sailing would definitely draw criticism from observers, and risk spreading a virus that is probably lurking among some of us.
Let’s set an example of the right way to get exercise and fresh air without spreading CoVid !

One more thought: now is not the best time to push the limits of your sailing skills and get injured. Play safe and stay healthy everyone.
Brian C

by Michael » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Centennial Beach Park is now closed as well.
Michael

by Mike » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:46 am

Brian C wrote: Let’s keep it that way by spreading out in rigging areas and practicing exceptionally good social distancing. Our preference to “shoot the breeze” with our friends before and after sailing would definitely draw criticism from observers, and risk spreading a virus that is probably lurking among some of us.

Very good point Brian. Let's make it something > than 6 feet and assume a photo is taken. Let the photo show and be an example we are overcoming our nature tendency to cluster when relaxed and chatting. I need at least the the option of windsport to keep sane even in routine times (ie "fish out of water" :)).
Mike

by Brian C » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 am

As Michael noted, Centennial Beach parking lots are now closed too (as are the lots at Jericho). Metro Vancouver’s website says it was ordered by the City of Delta. It seems that the strategy throughout the region is to leave parks, trails etc open for local walk-in users but nothing more, in order to keep numbers low.
I guess windsports are out, given our gear transport, even if we behave well and only want to be there on stormy days when the places are otherwise empty. A few locals can probably park and launch at the other small access locations outside the parks but the numbers will have to be very small to get away with it. I will stay away (reluctantly) rather than be part of the problem
Brian C

Next

Return to General