Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Jericho Parking Pass

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Mike » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:43 am

Michael wrote:
Slappy wrote:I don't think windsurfers will ever lose access to the Squamish River, they will simply have to slog over from another launch.

Now kiters in the other hand might be screwed.

I just had got this image of what the bay would look like without the spit. If they get rid of the entire thing it could be awesome. A way bigger sailing area with much less current and nothing to disturb the wind. Sorry, just trying to be positive.

It's all speculation right now but I wonder how it will look in low tide? With changing currents I'm sure there will be changes to present low tide sand bars.

Another thing I heard from someone is that the original reason for the spit was to mitigate flooding to residences. Not sure if this is true and if this is a consideration...

Overall a tough one as I intuitively support protection of habitat but sure do not like the idea of losing the spit.
Mike

by Brian C » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:57 am

Yup, I agree with Tony’s comments.
I have sailed all three places for MANY years. I love them all when they have good wind, but Squamish has by far the most of that!
If you want to learn shortboard sailing locally it’s the only practical place to get enough time on the water.
Nitinat has even easier learning conditions but it is awkward to get to for more than one or two trips per year and it needs the right weather setup (a big high pressure system).
Harrison is beautiful but the wind is too light and patchy at the village end of the lake. The only good sailing is at Bear Creek, about an hour north along a very rough logging road (beautiful camping there though). Even there, it blows half as often as Squamish.
I recommend spending lots of days at the Spit (when the weather is good), and doing a trip to Nitinat and/or the Gorge for a week or two.
Save Jericho for those few lucky days in the spring and fall when it’s blowing over 15 knots there.
Brian C

by Slappy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:16 pm

The Spot's primary purpose is to stop the shipping channel from silting and I don't see this assesment saying that they could live without it. It also probably provides some flood protection especially for the port access.

What they will probably end up doing is cutting a channel through the Spit or higher up the dyke and letting 10-20% of the water flow in to the estuary, any more would require them to spend millions dredging the shipping channel every other year and I'll bet the dredging would have a rather big environmental impact on the estuary too.
Slappy

by mjamero » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:49 pm

Michael wrote:
mjamero wrote:Any of you successfully purchase/renew your Jericho seasonal parking pass through Honkmobile? Their online renewal system is giving me grief.

$225.. ouch. Yup I'm with Tony on this one, I had no idea it was that much. :(

It's not $225. A season pass is $87... around the same cost as driving my van to Squamish and back for one session... and without the aggravation of driving the sea-to-sky in the summer traffic.

UPDATE. Honkmobile/Easypark has updated for this year. I can confirm it is now working and it IS $87 as in the past... I have just paid.
mjamero

by mjamero » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:55 pm

For those looking to purchase/renew their Jericho/Locarno pass here is the link.

https://www.honkmobile.com/monthly/zones/3692

1. Select April as starting month.
2. Select the second seasonal permit option for $87.00.
3. Continue from there.

Pass is good April 1st to September 30th.
mjamero

by Michael » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:59 pm

mjamero wrote:It's not $225. A season pass is $87...
Thanks for correcting me sorry about that.
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:32 pm

Brian C wrote:I recommend... , and doing a trip to Nitinat...

Unfortunately Nitinat will remain closed for this season.
LeopardSkin

by mjamero » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:07 pm

Looks like a 2021 season parking pass for Jericho has increased from $87 to $100. :roll:

Paid for a season pass last year and couldn't use it for two months because the lot was closed.
mjamero

Previous

Return to General