dan.e

by Alton » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:48 pm

9m at Ambleside
Alton

by Alton » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Now 12m at Ambleside
Alton

by decman_r » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Epic day at WR. Lit on 5m and surf board. Waves were over head high. 6 to 7 feet! Wind was pretty steady. :D :D :D
decman_r

by Faceplant » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Great time at Jericho. Never seen it that windy before. Little crazy at the beach. Swirling wind. Launch, and get the heck out.
Good to see the crew!
Faceplant

by Alton » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:25 pm

Spent the morning as a spectator of kiters (Dave B, Slappy, Reggie, James) on 5m+surfboard enjoying Acadia waves and 7m+TT kiters (Dan, Faceplant and Roxstock) boosting big at Spanish Bank. Very entertaining watching 4 kite-mares - over confident kiters attempting to launch on 9m.

W 30-40 didn't ease off so I finally headed off to Ambleside.

Scored almost 2 hrs at Ambleside in civilized W 22-28 with smooth waist to chest high waves on 9m+surfboard. Over a dozen kiters, 4 windsurfers and way more surfers.

Enjoyed the waves all the way to sunset. What an awesome way to start the weekend!!!
Alton

by LeopardSkin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:45 pm

And what was up with that Tesla Model S that fell into the ditch?
LeopardSkin

by tweegster » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:25 pm

Rode Crescent with Kari lit on 7m. Launched at the grass by the volleyball nets, I swear some guests were touching 50kts. Was surprised how clean the wind is and waist high waves with such little fetch.
Nice to have the flat water option behind blackie to mix things up.

Kari launched from blackie and that worked good too. I launched him then self launched and landed. Exciting in the conditions. Been a while since I have ridden such a nuking session.

For the record WR stayed cross shore so it ended up a good option for those with the day free. It was high tide by the time I was off work. It only went offshore after dark.

Film crew was at crescent filming some SUP folks including a gal with a single leg. One guy went out, which I thought was brave given the crazy wind. He did not last long, made sure I got some boosts in the background.

:mrgreen:
tweegster

by C36 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Bad Dad. Quick morning tour of Langara with Ethan and then straight to the beach. Watched the early birds take to the water and decided on 3.4/74. First couple of reaches were perfect - then it ampted up to 'hectic'. Some jumping. Some backside riding, but a lot of pounding out on the 2 second period (not a fan) and pointing against the flooding tide. Not sure what was going on today, but there was a lot of churn in the water that created some really odd push-pull cross-waves. Sailed as low as Dog Beach on the second stint, then most of the way back to the cove and called it just as it looked to be cleaning up some (but the reports from the water said not so much). Funny part was the early stuff proved to be the most fun. Glad Kato made it in (thanks to the kiter who towed him in).

Very rarely does Ethan want to kite locally, but last night he said he wanted to go and I felt like a prick for talking him out of it - I didn't think the set-up was going to be workable for him (plus I really wanted to sail at Acadia, not kite beach). As it turned out I think he would have been pushing it on his 5 m (like I told the kiter who was considering giving their 9 m a try - yeah, no). In the end I think it was the right call - for both of us (especially when I saw the near kitemare at Lacarno at the end of the day)..

Pre-Session OSR
Gallery (to view a slideshow click on the screen icon - top right
C36

by Brian C » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:51 pm

Wow, those pictures of Acadia today look pretty nasty. No clean swell? I think we had it better at Ambleside, which is definitely not normal.
Brian C

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing