Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Dakine t8 and nrg harness

Windsurfing shop talk

by shmish » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:38 am

Thanks to telus022420’s notice about the Dakine sale, I’m thinking about finally getting a waist harness, I’m kind of tired of walking in a waist harness. What are the main drawbacks of the NRG harness compared to their T-8 harness? Less support and padding? And do people really notice enough difference?

Thanks
shmish

by Michael » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:46 am

shmish wrote:Thanks to telus022420’s notice about the Dakine sale, I’m thinking about finally getting a waist harness, I’m kind of tired of walking in a waist harness. What are the main drawbacks of the NRG harness compared to their T-8 harness? Less support and padding? And do people really notice enough difference?

Thanks

I've had both. I went from a T5, with the slider bar, to a NRG, which got stollen then back to a T8. The NRG was very nice and I probably wouldn't have replaced it if it had not have been stollen. The T8 is awesome and does have more padding and support but that's a great price for the NRG. I'm sure you'll be happy with it for your first waist harness.
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:16 am

I've used several of the T harnesses, as well as an NRG.

The NRG had a locked-in spreader bar that didn't move. Didn't like it.

The spreader bar slides from side to side on the T harnesses. I think the current T harness is called the T-8. I prefer the free flowing feel of the T.
LeopardSkin

by LeopardSkin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:49 am

I just looked on the web site. The T-8 is available in sliding and non-sliding versions.

The Canadian site lists harnesses, but they haven't been available for at least a year.

The USA site has harnesses.
LeopardSkin

by Michael » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:57 am

LeopardSkin wrote:I just looked on the web site. The T-8 is available in sliding and non-sliding versions.

Sorry I forgot to mention that, I have the none sliding version of the T8. I had the sliding version of the T5 and didn't like it but that's a personal preference. I still have the T5 if you want to test it out, I keep it as a spare.
Michael

by shmish » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:21 am

Michael wrote:
LeopardSkin wrote:I just looked on the web site. The T-8 is available in sliding and non-sliding versions.

Sorry I forgot to mention that, I have the none sliding version of the T8. I had the sliding version of the T5 and didn't like it but that's a personal preference. I still have the T5 if you want to test it out, I keep it as a spare.

Thanks. I've used a non-sliding seat harness for many years and a chest harness before that. What I don't know won't hurt me, I think I'll try the NRG.

cheers
shmish

by LeopardSkin » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:45 pm

I saw a posting about a T9. Looks like a new 2020 release.
LeopardSkin

by jtorva » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:09 pm

I had the NRG and changed to the T5 with sliding bar. The issue I had with the NRG was that it would twist and rotate on my body. This may be because of my slim build. I found this to be very annoying and uncomfortable. I then switched to the T5 with the sliding bar. It was a more comfortable harness to begin with and it no longer rotated and twisted on my body. I have actually considered returning to a seat style harness for salomn/race sailing at Squamish hoping to maybe gain a little speed.

Jordan
Jordan
jtorva

by AlexK » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:28 pm

What a great topic.
If I can just drop my 2 cents here as I have found some harnesses in past to absorb a fair bit of water and become heavy as u sail. This can detract from your surf feel as u go down to low volume boards and light (small sails).
I don't know about the T8 or NRG as I have not had them. I use a Hotsails which absorbs little and is super light. I also like the MFC that Brawzhino uses. Super light.
If u r spending lots of tow with long hours of sailing I think u need more padding. Otherwise go as light as posibble and look for nonabsorbing materials. If it is over a wetsuit u have plenty of cushion.
Thx and great convo
AlexK

Return to Windsurfing