Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Let's talk about foiling

Windsurfing shop talk

by grantmac » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:28 am

Something I don't think I have a clear picture of right now is what level you and your family currently windsurf at.

Have you tried to see what size boards you can uphaul? 145L might be more than you absolutely need.

For me I find that my big foil board gets "too big" to fin sail long before I'm overpowered on the foil with a 3.7 (my smallest sail). So it's range is massive.
My smaller foil board is getting downsized to what I can just barely uphaul with the idea that it should fin sail comfortably into higher wind than I'd want to foil. Also I'm choosing it for playing in light wind waves.

Foiling is starting to split into different disciplines fairly dramatically. I'm choosing to pursue the lower speed, turning, wave riding/freestyle approach.

If you are thinking more slalom/freerace style then my advice may not be great.
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 pm

grantmac wrote:Something I don't think I have a clear picture of right now is what level you and your family currently windsurf at.

Have you tried to see what size boards you can uphaul? 145L might be more than you absolutely need.

For me I find that my big foil board gets "too big" to fin sail long before I'm overpowered on the foil with a 3.7 (my smallest sail). So it's range is massive.
My smaller foil board is getting downsized to what I can just barely uphaul with the idea that it should fin sail comfortably into higher wind than I'd want to foil. Also I'm choosing it for playing in light wind waves.

Foiling is starting to split into different disciplines fairly dramatically. I'm choosing to pursue the lower speed, turning, wave riding/freestyle approach.

If you are thinking more slalom/freerace style then my advice may not be great.

The 145 liter is based on James Douglas calculator and the fact in the beginning I will be up hauling more. I think that it would be a perfect volume for me in the beginning. My son is a beginner and can practice on my Techno 185 or my wife's Chinook WindSup 275 l. For him I think that the Bic Techno 148 (has deep tuttle box) for foiling and first short board makes sense (he is 145lbs, but growing fast). It is inexpensive board (now USD 830) and the stress on the board from adding a foil at his weight doesn't worry me. That board would solve high & low wind issues. I would pair it with an Ezzy Legacy 4.2 sail. I am just getting back into windsurfing (gone last 14 years) and using the Techno 185. I don't have a short board at this time, but I could use the Techno 148 when the time comes (not the best short board-but still fun). I am very interested in the idea that BigD posted with the 84cm wing:

https://www.slingshotsports.com/Hover-G ... 45-Package

I send an email to the company with specific questions regarding my weight. I think one of the problems around here is getting used equipment. I know that older Starboard Go boards have a decent deep tuttle box, but they aren't around used at a decent price.

Forgot to answer your question. Wind foiling for light wind; just cruising around up and down the coast. No wave & racing.
ZeroR2

by grantmac » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:50 pm

The one downside to the 148 is that it's long, like +2' more than most foil boards.
On the other hand it would be a good board to replace the 185 once your kid progresses which would then let you grab something more modern down the road.

I personally would push you towards the NP Glyde over Slingshot. But if you want Slingshot I'm going to sell mine and I can get the 84cm wing for a good price.
grantmac

by BigD » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:10 pm

ZeroR2 wrote:
BigD wrote:I'm about 220-225 before a wetsuit and harness.

I have the Dialer 145 which I would definitely recommend for you
https://www.slingshotsports.com/Dialer-145-Foil-Board

I was talking to Tony Logoz the Slingshot guy and he was telling me that it's pretty overbuilt. I guess they were scared of stuff breaking initially so overbuilt the earlier Dialer boards. The new boards are lighter so I guess they found that they're not as fragile and don't need all the reinforcement. That and there is no nose to crack!

I have about 15 sessions on mine and have 0 concerns about durability. Super easy to uphaul and with the longer nose I usually just skip off the water even when I foil out at the full 90cm. Rarely have I sunk the nose and gotten launched.

As for wings..
I only tried the 76cm infinity briefly and it was my first time foiling so I sucked. I definitely want to give it a shot again.

I bought the 84cm wing with the larger 48cm rear. It works great in 12-25knot. I also have both the long(regular) fuselage and the shorter SUP fuselage. If you go with the 84cm I would say

42cm rear wing -> long fuselage
48cm rear wing -> short fuselage
See discussion here:
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling/Slingshot-Hover-Glide-Infinity-84-wing-review?page=2

The large rear wing with the long fuselage is stable but difficult to turn.

I'd check out this deal:
https://www.slingshotsports.com/Hover-Glide-FWIND1-Dialer-145-Package

Only the paint job is different from the current mast and fuselage. It all works with the new infinity wings.

Then add:http://www.windance.com/HG-INFINITY-84CM-CARB-F-Wing/44211/

Full setup for $1129+ $529 = $1658usd
Less than most boards even though you will probably never use the older wing.

Or add the 76cm so I can borrow it to test

You think I would be ok with 245 lbs? On BigWinds website it states that the recommended weight up to 170lbs. What kind of sails have you been using and the largest one you think you would use? Very interesting!

The 170 or less recommendation is for the 130L Dialer, have a look at the slingshot website. The Dialer 145L is for 170+ and having ridden it all summer I can say it has a ton of flotation so you will have no problem uphauling or stopping for a nap.

I plan on trying the 145L with a Tuttle fin but I'm having too much fun foiling. I think it would work just fine. My 9yo daughter and 7yo son use it as a SUP with the tuttle fin and it works great for them and should for a few more years. Not super efficient for SUP since it is a bit wide but totally useable. I can SUP it as well but it is a bit challenging. I also put the protective tape on the sides to protect from paddle scratches, there is alot of paint transfer from the paddle so I'm glad I spent the $30.

Honestly for the price I think you can't beat the Slingshot sale. That is a smoking deal with board and foil. My buddy has the Fanatic Blast 145L, he took it out with a tuttle/5.3 but is just learning to foil so I didn't really see it airborne. It's a very nice board and lighter than the Dialer but I had more fun!

I could see myself upgrading to a Wizard and possibly adding a 76cm wing for higher wind foiling in a couple of years but for learning I sure am glad to have the nose. Who knows I might even just cut the nose off the Dialer and fiberglass it up to make a custom Wizard.

As for sails I bought a Sailworks Flyer 7.0 which works in stupid light wind, 12ish knots. Mostly I've been using my 5.3 , 4.7 and 4.2 Naish Forces. It's crazy how little sail you need to get going with that big wing.
BigD

by ZeroR2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:21 pm

grantmac wrote:The one downside to the 148 is that it's long, like +2' more than most foil boards.
On the other hand it would be a good board to replace the 185 once your kid progresses which would then let you grab something more modern down the road.

I personally would push you towards the NP Glyde over Slingshot. But if you want Slingshot I'm going to sell mine and I can get the 84cm wing for a good price.

What board would you pair the NP Glyde that has min. 145 liter and reinforced box? I think the foil itself isn't the issue, rather the board.
ZeroR2

by ZeroR2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:57 pm

BigD wrote:
ZeroR2 wrote:
BigD wrote:I'm about 220-225 before a wetsuit and harness.

I have the Dialer 145 which I would definitely recommend for you
https://www.slingshotsports.com/Dialer-145-Foil-Board

I was talking to Tony Logoz the Slingshot guy and he was telling me that it's pretty overbuilt. I guess they were scared of stuff breaking initially so overbuilt the earlier Dialer boards. The new boards are lighter so I guess they found that they're not as fragile and don't need all the reinforcement. That and there is no nose to crack!

I have about 15 sessions on mine and have 0 concerns about durability. Super easy to uphaul and with the longer nose I usually just skip off the water even when I foil out at the full 90cm. Rarely have I sunk the nose and gotten launched.

As for wings..
I only tried the 76cm infinity briefly and it was my first time foiling so I sucked. I definitely want to give it a shot again.

I bought the 84cm wing with the larger 48cm rear. It works great in 12-25knot. I also have both the long(regular) fuselage and the shorter SUP fuselage. If you go with the 84cm I would say

42cm rear wing -> long fuselage
48cm rear wing -> short fuselage
See discussion here:
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling/Slingshot-Hover-Glide-Infinity-84-wing-review?page=2

The large rear wing with the long fuselage is stable but difficult to turn.

I'd check out this deal:
https://www.slingshotsports.com/Hover-Glide-FWIND1-Dialer-145-Package

Only the paint job is different from the current mast and fuselage. It all works with the new infinity wings.

Then add:http://www.windance.com/HG-INFINITY-84CM-CARB-F-Wing/44211/

Full setup for $1129+ $529 = $1658usd
Less than most boards even though you will probably never use the older wing.

Or add the 76cm so I can borrow it to test

You think I would be ok with 245 lbs? On BigWinds website it states that the recommended weight up to 170lbs. What kind of sails have you been using and the largest one you think you would use? Very interesting!

The 170 or less recommendation is for the 130L Dialer, have a look at the slingshot website. The Dialer 145L is for 170+ and having ridden it all summer I can say it has a ton of flotation so you will have no problem uphauling or stopping for a nap.

I plan on trying the 145L with a Tuttle fin but I'm having too much fun foiling. I think it would work just fine. My 9yo daughter and 7yo son use it as a SUP with the tuttle fin and it works great for them and should for a few more years. Not super efficient for SUP since it is a bit wide but totally useable. I can SUP it as well but it is a bit challenging. I also put the protective tape on the sides to protect from paddle scratches, there is alot of paint transfer from the paddle so I'm glad I spent the $30.

Honestly for the price I think you can't beat the Slingshot sale. That is a smoking deal with board and foil. My buddy has the Fanatic Blast 145L, he took it out with a tuttle/5.3 but is just learning to foil so I didn't really see it airborne. It's a very nice board and lighter than the Dialer but I had more fun!

I could see myself upgrading to a Wizard and possibly adding a 76cm wing for higher wind foiling in a couple of years but for learning I sure am glad to have the nose. Who knows I might even just cut the nose off the Dialer and fiberglass it up to make a custom Wizard.

As for sails I bought a Sailworks Flyer 7.0 which works in stupid light wind, 12ish knots. Mostly I've been using my 5.3 , 4.7 and 4.2 Naish Forces. It's crazy how little sail you need to get going with that big wing.

Yes you are right. That applies to the 130 model. In reference to using the 145 without foil, I guess I was probing to see if my son (145lbs) could use it when the wind picks up and I go for a short board. I know it isn't ideal, just if anyone had experience. Interesting that one would use a sail with cam feature. I would have thought otherwise. Thanks for the info.
ZeroR2

by shmish » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:12 pm

I came *this* close to getting a Fanatic Stingray foil board. They have a 145 and 160 L I think. It has slightly more outward footstraps so probably a bit better at cruising and reaching. It also comes with a deep Tuttle foil box and the track system. Somewhat future proof. Foil only, not for SUP or fin riding. I think the idea is that it can compliment and replace fin riding from 10 to 20 knots though.

The reason I didn’t get it: it’s brand new + a foil = too much $$ for me. I was very interested in the 2018 Wizard 125, but eventually learned that they use a chinook Tuttle, which means it would only ever fit a slingshot foil.

I ended up getting a 2020 Blast 115 which I hope will be ok for foiling. It’s width, stubby nose, and somewhat box-ish tail (diamond really) make me think it will work pretty good. I haven’t received the board yet and I have no idea when I’ll get the $$ for a foil. Dare to dream, that’s what I say :)
shmish

by ZeroR2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Why not just get close out 2019 Blast LTD (save $$$)? Any improvements in the 2020 model?
ZeroR2

by adam2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Anyone else here get any of that super weird outflow wind at Jericho today? My starboard windfoil reaches were practically parallel to the shore, when there was actually wind. Lots if kitefoilers were making it look easy, I can tell people have been getting out lots the collective skill level seems way higher than only a season or two ago.
adam2

by adam2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:31 pm

adam2 wrote:Anyone else here get any of that super weird outflow wind at Jericho today? My starboard windfoil reaches were practically parallel to the shore, when there was actually wind. Lots of kitefoilers were making it look easy, I can tell people have been getting out lots the collective skill level seems way higher than only a season or two ago.
adam2

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing