Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday Morning Westerly

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by shmish » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:38 pm

ShonanDB wrote: Great day with 3hrs of quality TOW. :D Tues and Wed this week look promising too.
Note to self: always bring the small board

I'm always worried about making a bad decision on a small board and getting stuck out with a dying wind and unable to uphaul my small board. I don't know what would happen at Garry Point if that happened, but I guess a WNW is mostly onshore?. Growing up I was always on lakes or the Gorge, where I knew that even in a pinch I could swim to shore in a reasonable amount of time. Squamish Spit always bothers me too because the current pushes a person into even lighter wind. Note: I've never had to swim in, it's just something that I worry about.
shmish

by adam2 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:18 pm

Jericho ended up being super fun, easily the most windfoilers I've seen out there yet. I probably should have ditched the 6.5 for the 5.0 but couldn't be bothered. It made my downwind run at the end exciting.
adam2

by ShonanDB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:11 pm

shmish wrote:
ShonanDB wrote: Great day with 3hrs of quality TOW. :D Tues and Wed this week look promising too.

I'm always worried about making a bad decision on a small board and getting stuck out with a dying wind and unable to uphaul my small board. I don't know what would happen at Garry Point if that happened, but I guess a WNW is mostly onshore?. Growing up I was always on lakes or the Gorge, where I knew that even in a pinch I could swim to shore in a reasonable amount of time. Squamish Spit always bothers me too because the current pushes a person into even lighter wind. Note: I've never had to swim in, it's just something that I worry about.

The wind blows straight upriver at GPP on a WNW so it's like a mini Gorge and it rarely dies off suddenly. Over the last 7 or 8 years I've sailed there I've only had to do the walk of shame once but it was my fault as I decided to take that "one more run" after the wind got really holey and I couldn't get back to the launch. The current took me for a couple hundred meter ride before I could get to the edge. Now, when it starts to lull, I head in. The wind was solid right across the river today and the 73L would have been just that much more fun.
ShonanDB

by Slappy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:32 pm

Had a nice 2 hour session before the lifeguards started duty:

There were 2 people who landed their kites on the beach well after the start of lifeguard hours. We should not be doing that and I encourage people to talk to the people that do it and try and advise them against it.

There are little kids running randomly around on the beach and the wind in there is notoriously sketchy.

I was packed up by the time the second guy self landed on the beach so I told him that doing that will cause the lifeguards to write it up as an incident that they report to the city and that he should not be flying his kite on to the beach during lifeguard hours.

He felt strongly that this was the safest option because he could no longer stay upwind but in reality it is not. On top of that it's seen as a much much more dangerous situation by any non-kiter.

If you need to come in to the beach during lifeguard hours you need to be packing up your gear out in the water away from anyone and then carrying it safely in.

If you need to see what that looks like please watch the clip at 4:00 mark.
Slappy

by shmish » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:55 pm

ShonanDB wrote:Tues and Wed this week look promising too.

I'm back in town Tuesday night so I'll keep my eye on the forecasts and hopefully I will make it out to GPP Wednesday morning.
shmish

by BigD » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:52 am

adam2 wrote:Jericho ended up being super fun, easily the most windfoilers I've seen out there yet. I probably should have ditched the 6.5 for the 5.0 but couldn't be bothered. It made my downwind run at the end exciting.

Yes the Jericho Foiling Club was awesome! I followed you upwind as far as I could but my 7.0 got to be too much. Overpowered downwinder was a bit sketchy! My 5.3 was much more manageable for the last hour until it started dropping. Great day!
BigD

by adam2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:39 am

BigD wrote:
adam2 wrote:Jericho ended up being super fun, easily the most windfoilers I've seen out there yet. I probably should have ditched the 6.5 for the 5.0 but couldn't be bothered. It made my downwind run at the end exciting.

Yes the Jericho Foiling Club was awesome! I followed you upwind as far as I could but my 7.0 got to be too much. Overpowered downwinder was a bit sketchy! My 5.3 was much more manageable for the last hour until it started dropping. Great day!

The Jericho Foiling Club, aka the JFC, how fitting. That 7.0 would've been a handful for sure. As expected it just got stronger the farther upwind I went. I made it to the west dolphin marker before turning around. I would have enjoyed the downwinder more on a 5.0.
adam2

by LeopardSkin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 am

There were also some foilers at LFC (Locarno Foiling Club), immediately adjacent to the JFC.
LeopardSkin

by ShonanDB » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:18 pm

ShonanDB

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR