Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Pistol River 2019

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:43 pm

Tough session at the Cape this morning, winds seem to be getting gustier and waves smaller but got a few nice hits and finally put on the GoPro.
Attachments
CapeSmack.jpg
#photo
CapeSmack.jpg (880.96 KiB) Viewed 12609 times
Last edited by Michael on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

by C36 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 pm

S16 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 23)

Solo. Had the Cape to myself after Tsawwasasen decided to head north for Bandon and beyond with Redbaron, just me and the Pelicans (first time I have seen them do a PSC fly-by at the Cape. Always sad when the crew starts to break apart. Waves were better than expected and got about an hour in before my gear (4.5/92) started to feel too big. Luke, Rhonda and Heather all came out to play just as I was leaving the water. Moo followed and ejected his kite when about 20 minutes later when the wind really started to amp up. Fun way to start the day!

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)

S17 – windsurf – Pistol River (2019 June 23)

Happy Hour. Peter G (5.4), I took (4.0), Johnny (3.7), and Heather (3.1) went down to The Rock for an evening cool down session after Peter G mentioned that the South Jetty was lighter than yesterday (too light). Funhouse water and fairly solid wind made for playful session with both riding and jumping. Johnny was able to reduce neck rash with DYI combo of plastic bag and sandwich grease – big relief. Heather had another successful launch at The Rock but suffered a minor shoulder injury. Dinner and three slices of pie to share at the Porthole. Great way to end the day!

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)
C36

by Michael » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 am

Back home now, thanks to Dave, Tony and Johnny and Heather for the good company and good times. Great to see Peter and Rhonda again, thanks for having us all over! :D 3 super burritos, some super ribs and a campsite pancake breakfast by Dave! Many waves shredded by all.
Michael

by C36 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 pm

S18 – SUP – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 24)

Glass. Day got off to a strange start – I almost left my phone charging at the breakfast restaurant and almost left my groceries behind at the store (either I am really relaxed or have ‘beach brain’). I arrived at the Cape around 8 am to find NW flow on the outside, but south flow at the beach and glassy waves. Even more interesting were the four surfers catching rides on the clean right just south of the island with the natural tunnel in it. Quick look-see at Myer’s Beach and Secret Beach, then back to the Cape. I grabbed my SUP and went out for a try with mixed results – spooky shadow and seal in cove kept me out of the cove (turned out to be a rock just below the surface), south end of Cape was soft but closing out, middle of was dumping. Sorry I didn’t commit to the cove. I may try again tomorrow.

S19 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 24)

Micro-Wave-Sailing. NW wind finally filled into Cape around 12 noon. Nanmoo was first on it and I followed. Souths it was a Cape effect day – no wind in town. Wind got gustier, waves harder to find and limited return on effort so called it. Russ showed up with film crew in tow. Dana took to the water too. Hood River Mike scored high wave count but punched his right hand through his sail and pounded his sternum on his boom when he hit a double-up trough on the inside that stopped him cold (he seemed shock up but OK). Glad to get one more farewell session in at the Cape but wasn’t what I had hoped for.

S20 – windsurf – Pistol River (2019 June 24)

Light. Lighter than expected. Kites out and locals leaving the water in the spooky wind. Johnny and I rigged (4.5/92) for me and there was enough wind to get out and SUP-sail style wave ride in. A few rides but then called it to avoid ending my day with a long swim. Johnny and Heather headed south and Tony and I headed back into Gold Beach for dinner at The Barnacle. Sad to see them go, but happy to have shared the time together.

Last edited by C36 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:55 pm

DEDICATION

This year`s pictures and text are dedicated to those who couldn`t come or had to cut their trips cut short, including Chris, Yuma, and Trudy.

S21 – SUP – Agate Beach (2019 June 25)

Roadside Attraction. Day started with a power outage that included Brookings, Gold Beach, and Port Orford, Stopped for a quick SUP at Agate Beach in Newport as a `good-bye` to the Oregon Coast. As I stepped onto the beach the surf instructor said, “There are lots of REALY fun waves out there today!”, The Northwest 3’ swell at five seconds made for some really great clean waves that were easy to catch and smack. One smooth open right sticks in my mind. Twelve days in with ten spent on the coast it was hard to say good-bye, but glad I made the stop, got wet and caught a few waves.

S22 – windsurf – Swell City (2019 June 25)

Breath. I saw the last planing ride at The Hatchery as I drove by. Took to the water at Swell City in just a breath of wind (to take a dip in the river and to keep the steak alive more than for the conditions). Forecast was really weak for today so hoping for more tomorrow. $10 spaghetti dinner at Pietros that included salad bar and bread sticks.

S23 – windsurf – Swell City (2019 June 26)

Rain. Running errands for Tsawwassen and shopping in town. Then off to the river. Better than yesterday – some planing, jumping and gybing, but sub-par. Still better than Squamish with some shape to the water. Windance Thai food truck for dinner then went to see the sold-out showing of the Sarah Hauser film “Girl on Wave” at Andrew`s Pizza Place. Ended the day with a campfire at Tucker Park (that is how cool and damp it was) – odd.

S24 – windsurf – Swell City (2019 June 27)

Pulse. Caught the mid-afternoon power hour. Rain drop kisses again today (but sun to the east). There were four others out today, so the conditions must have been better. Under and over wind, but powered most of the time. One over-rotated push loop on port. That was fun!

Last edited by C36 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:30 pm

S25 – SUP – Agate Beach (2019 June 28)

Trimmed. Broke free of the three-day ‘holding pattern’ in the Gorge and returned back out to the coast. Was treated to waist to chest gentle glassy mid-day A-frames under sunny skies at Agate. Waves had enough power to them that you could drop in and drive back to the lip (sometimes more than once). There must have been some background south swell today as there were waves reflecting off the Yaquina Head and rolling along parallel to the beach (first world problem). At 15 degrees the air felt fresh, but with it being calm the 5/4 summer suit (sans hood) felt warm.

Had 1.5” trimmed off my SUP paddle at Big Winds while in the Gorge and got to try the trimmed, shorter 73.5” paddle (still longer than many I know use, but the shortest I have ever used – 3.5” shorter than my first). It felt great – more powerful and quicker for high-cadence paddling while catching waves. Amazing what a big difference a little change can make.

Not epic, but absolutely delightful session! From the size and shape of the dunes on the beach at the Agate Wayside, it looks like Agate has been getting some wind this year.

An RV had dropped a rear tire into the ditch south of Bandon blocking half of Highway 101. Rolled into Gold Beach last night on fumes (too tired to notice I needed gas in Port Orford). Gauge was below the red reserve touching the top of the whites ”E”. The last few miles we’re pretty stressful. Very happy to be driving and not walking into town! Back in position in Gold Beach ready for the next cycle.

Last edited by C36 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Michael » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 pm

C36 wrote:Broke free of the three-day ‘holding pattern’ in the Gorge and returned back out to the coast.
Nice, major withdrawals happening now, next weeks round of pictures are going to kill me. Have fun, forecast looks sweet!!
Michael

by C36 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:11 pm

C36 wrote:Broke free of the three-day ‘holding pattern’ in the Gorge and returned back out to the coast.

Michael wrote:Nice, major withdrawals happening now, next weeks round of pictures are going to kill me. Have fun, forecast looks sweet!!

This place is hard on the mind and body while you are here and hard on the soul once you leave. :twisted: :twisted: :? :D ;)

S26 – SUP – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 29)

Lottery. Glassy mini-west swell at the Cape. Fun playful waves with shoulders and some size variation to play with. Small centre beach and medium to the south end. Even caught a few in the L-spot. Just as I came off the water two locals showed up with longboards to surf. It must have felt like they had won the lottery as it was the perfect longboard day. Must be frustrating being a longboard surfer in Gold Beach – either too wind or too big. Chatted with them after their session and they were all smiles. The Cape has such a different vibe, chill and soothing, when `the hate` is not around.

S27 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 29)

Puffy. Went into Brookings for a trip extending body maintenance message just as the NW wind was filling in (the only time I could get on short notice). Arrived back at 5 pm to Tony saying his 4.7 was barely enough to waterstart, but wind looked better than that so gave the 4.5/92 a try with marginal result – was able to slog, but ride – not so much. Caught a few waves as they rolled under me and broke on the inside. It was puffy – like Long Beach nothing to not quite enough puffy – like even Jesse would struggle to make it work puffy – really puffy. The funny part was the Cape was ‘busy’ with tourists all afternoon eating lunch, walking, jogging and enjoying the beach in the `calm` conditions. Still nice to get out and get a couple of inside hits.

Last edited by C36 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by 8mdude » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:13 pm

@C36 how’s the wind for the coming week. It seems nothing? I’ll stay here at SF until the wind decided to show up north
8mdude

by C36 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 pm

8mdude wrote:@C36 how’s the wind for the coming week. It seems nothing? I’ll stay here at SF until the wind decided to show up north

Forecast is lighter than typical, but today was workable and looks like the next cycle has started in earnest. It could be pretty special when the swell turns back on.

But remember rule number 1 (Don`t leave wind to find wind). :D ;)
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing