Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:47 am

1mHB showed up today, 1 hour too early.
and left as soon as tide was getting under 10ft.

1m.JPG
1m.JPG (24.18 KiB) Viewed 17659 times

Adam and I. Some nude girl photo session going on at beach, with us getting some waves in the background ... that should get more young people interested in surfing in the near future. :ugeek:
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:12 am

Darrell, this NW will get closer to Vancouver, even Acadia may work for wind. All kind of tides that day.
gabrielb

by ShonanDB » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks G, I'll check the forecast Tues evening.
ShonanDB

by C36 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:59 pm

S35 – SUP – Florencia (2019 July 7)

Dreamy. Traded the cold, damp rain squalls of Nitinat for a warm, sunny, glassy evening SUP session at Flo. South swell was still pumping in earnest so quick surf checks at Flo and Wick (smaller, rolly, longboard wave all the way down the beach) had us return to Flo. When Ethan and I got down to the beach at Flo he said, “This is soooooo much better than Nitinat!” Glad we were on the same page. So much fun watching Ethan drop into some smooth open waves, compress into a bottom turn and return to the hit the lip! Wooo Hooo! Some of the nicest waves of the summer (so far) for me too. Ocean view campsite dinner at sunset. That was fun!

/edit Temp (both air and water), shape is waves (A-frames), and vibe all reminded me of sessions Ethan and I had also shared at Old Man’s in Cabo San Jose. Water was so warm I was comfortable in 3/3 short sleeve and could have warm a shortie. A treat after the ice-water on the south Oregon coast.

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)

S36 – SUP – Green Point (2019 July 8)

Private Club. First time out at Green Point. Funny that access to the beach at Green Point is reserved for registered campers but it made for small crowd in the water this morning (me solo joined by surfer on a mal – there were lots of rides to go around). It felt a little like sking a private club in Ontario (light crowds, no lines, and great conditions). South swell was still marching in so waves were soft and open, for the most part (there were a few closeouts). A little unnerving paddling out by myself (waves looked much bigger at beach level then they did from the bluff), until I got a sense of the place – it was fairly predictable. Interesting left just south of the point. Seal was watching us both. Great way to start the day!

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)
C36

by C36 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:31 pm

S37 – SUP – Florencia (2019 July 8)

Repeat. Look-sees at Long Beach (looked sweet up at tinnies, but Ethan wanted more), Rosie (heavy, quick, and a dozen shortboarders competing for the peak), Long Beach (thumpy now), so Flo it was. Very similar to the day before and delightful as well. A little smaller, some roll and a light southeast wind but it cleaned up as the session went on. A few nice rights and a few clean hits. Not as much power as the day before (yesterday I was able to back-door the peak a couple of times on purpose, but today no Bueno). Sorry Ethan didn`t join in the fun, but his choice. One friendly local surfer out sharing the peak lookers left of the stair case. I have a new found admiration for Flo.

S38 – SUP – Green Point (2019 July 9)

Morning. Less lullage, more girth and lower tide made for tough time getting out and a lot of energy burned. Seal was watching me again. Some well overhead. A lot of work for the limited number of rides, but still worth it.

S39 – SUP – South Chesterman (2019 July 9)

Bombs. Look-see at Long Beach (stirred up) and Cox Bay (cleaner but north end favoured and closing out), so decided on an afternoon session at South Chesterman and the south swell continued to deliver. There were a few that made my eyes open wide and a few that rolled me. They were round and fat on the outside so you have to work to catch them and the angle didn`t have much west in it so they were a little `close-outie` but there was a young gun there that had the left in the cove figured out and showed us how it was done. Even a few two hit minis up at the east end of the beach. Fun to have Ethan back out on the water yesterday after his `day off`. Share plate dinner at Wolf in the Fog then campfire and cards under the trap and evening rain at the campsite.

S40 – surf/SUP – Florencia (2019 July 10)

Rain Day. Survived the monsoon last night. Just as I decided I was going to check out the SE at Long Beach/South Chesterman the early morning wind tanked. Ukee, Wind and Sea, bakery, surf shops and then a late day Flo session in the sun. By the time we got out on the water it turned rather chaotic. It was easier to get out then it looked, but harder to catch then it looked (variation, positioning, and size). When you hung outside only the closeout bombs could be caught, if you dared. Ethan grabbed one, dropped in and then kicked out when the foam pile engulfed him. He was then too tired to battle his way out again on his shortboard. It took me what felt like forever to pick off my second (and final) wave of the session. Nice to get out after the rain, but that session felt more like we were playing defence (and just happy to get back to the beach). Late dinner at Sobo.

S41 – SUP – Green Point (2019 July 11)

Semi-relentless. Quick wake-up session to start the day. The foam piles were semi-relentless this morning (I just about gave up them made it out). Once out, there was a soft left a little further north that provided some fun rides. Fog rolled in while I was leaving the water.

S42 – SUP – Wickeninnish (2019 July 11)

Contest. Toured the sand dunes at Wickeninnish Beach. Then toured the south surf spots - look-see at Flo (thick fog), Wick (sun and variety of waves on offer), and Long Beach (fog and dumpy). We decided to return to Wick. We started with a hitting the lip contest in the cove then migrated our way down the beach to Lot E to surf the shoulders of the remaining south swell (caught one really fun pocket right). Back playing offence. Ate while watching the surfers on the backlit waves at the Cox Bay as dinner guests of the Beachside Grill (Long Beach Resort) and then campfire at Green Point.

Last edited by C36 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by gabrielb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:54 pm

C36, I had to magnify the bbq photo... fish fillet and kebabs.. nice ;) .
and what's with Sunday? it's already chest high; it looks big.
gabrielb

by C36 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:38 pm

gabrielb wrote:C36, I had to magnify the bbq photo... fish fillet and kebabs.. nice ;) .
and what's with Sunday? it's already chest high; it looks big.

Glad you enjoyed the Bar-B-Q (corn on the cob slow roasted in husk on top row too).
Looks big: there were some big sets each day right up until today (Sat, July 13). In transit home now. Will report more on later.
C36

by gabrielb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:07 pm

C36,
getting in shape while having fun (windsurfing and SUPing) can't be beat, given your long hiatus you must be closer to the right picture, I am still on the left :) the guy on the left is not getting any local sessions either, based on faces
b.JPG
b.JPG (25.72 KiB) Viewed 16535 times
gabrielb

by LilyV » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Oh wouaha beautiful pictures and session in Tofino guys .
I'll plane to go in 2 or 3 weeks, hopefully it will be the same :D
waiting for a short session at wreck beach would be welcome but no waves
Enjoy
LilyV

by C36 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm

gabrielb wrote:C36,
getting in shape while having fun (windsurfing and SUPing) can't be beat, given your long hiatus you must be closer to the right picture, I am still on the left :) the guy on the left is not getting any local sessions either, based on faces
b.JPG

The smile on my face is like the guy on the right (brighter outlook with all the time outside and on/in the water) and definitely in.better shape then when I left. :D ;)

Last two installments from this trip.

S43 – SUP – Cox Bay (2019 July 12)

Playful. Gentle session with waves for all. Lots of “Wooo Hoos” shouted encouraging others! Group of four on SUP worked the middle peak. On my way in I paddled north and scored one mini bomb from the pack working the next peak. A few swimmers and one on SUP in board shorts. High on the fun scale! Red Can Gourmet pizza on MacKenzie Beach at sunset for dinner and campfire at Green Point.

S44 – SUP – Green Point (2019 July 13)

Tucked In (Sort of). Funny what looks like knee-high from the bluff is more like chest to head-high on the water. Glassy, softer, and fun-sized (for the most part). Caught one really nice open left and one barreling right (throwing at chest level) – if I was thinking I could have bent down to tuck right in - silly me. Super fun session. It was still work getting out but there was some lullage helped. Once outside it was easy to work the clean outside rows. Nice send off session!

C36

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing