Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Windsurfing Vacation

Windsurfing shop talk

by Pavel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Can anyone recommend a good place to go on a windsurfing vacation with the family (wife doesn’t sail, 3y old kid)? January/February next year.
My top picks are:
1. Hawaii - are there any gear rental places in Honolulu? Anything to do for the family in Maui?
2. Cabarete - how is it in Jan, Feb?

Thanks in advance, any info would be great.
Pavel

by LeopardSkin » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Depends on the length of the vacation.

For example, if it's only a one day vacation, I'd suggest Centennial Beach Park in Tsawwassen. In January and February, it often gets above a balmy 0°, and only a survival suit is needed.
LeopardSkin

by Pavel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Yea, I head about that place. The resort must be amazing....
Pavel

by mjamero » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Tobago! That time of year is the perfect time to go. Shallow flat water lagoon sailing. Warm water. Strong steady wind. Perfect conditions for where you are at in your progression. Much cheaper than Bonaire. Better conditions for your level than La Ventana which is where a lot of BC people go to that time of year. I much prefer Tobago. Your wife and daughter would have a good time there. It's pretty chill.

The entire beginning to Jem Hall's Beginner to Winner was filmed at Tobago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSBoLDZu2k0

That time of year both Jem Hall and Peter Hart run week long boot camps if you time it right. You can either book through Vela or directly with Radical Sports which is what I will do next time now that I know what/wear to go. Radical also does lessons outside of a boot camp.

This is the link to Radical Sports. If you book outside of Vela Resorts Radical Sports is who you need to contact.
https://www.radicalsportstobago.com/

If you want to keep it easy to arrange (the more expensive way) book with Vela resorts. They have complete packages (minus airfare).
http://www.velaresorts.com/tobago.html

Also, if you time it right you can combine your trip with Carnival in Trinidad. That's a whole other adventure and takes more planning.It's worth it.
mjamero

by mjamero » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:08 pm

This is Peter Hart's video for his 2017 Tobago Masterclass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r0uX1uwyGI

My wife and I were there at the same time as this. I have a cameo in the video! If I had known ahead of time Peter Hart was running a clinic I would have taken it. Live and learn. The week before we arrived Jem Hall was there.
mjamero

by Pavel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks Mark, Tobago is definitely on my list. Ideally I want to keep the flight time as short as possible, it’s a bit of a pain with a small child. A cruise might be one way around that, but the stay time at one port is usually limited to a few days.
Thailand and Vietnam could work as well...
Pavel

by Michael » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:44 am

Pavel wrote:Can anyone recommend a good place to go on a windsurfing vacation with the family (wife doesn’t sail, 3y old kid)? January/February next year.

January/February isn't the best to go to Maui for windsurfing as the trade winds don't start kicking in until March. Sometimes things pick up around the end of February though. Sorry I don't know about Cabarete, but I would like to go sometime. :D La Ventana is close and the wind is good that time of year. If you're interested in LV ask around as lots of people here have been, I haven't but it's on my list.
Michael

by grantmac » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:49 am

My buddy, his wife and 1yo did several weeks in Baja. None of them windsurf and all enjoyed themselves.
grantmac

by Pavel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Yes, La Ventana is definitely on my list. From what Mark told me, it’s a pretty advanced spot to sail, because of the shore break. Is that always the case?
Pavel

Return to Windsurfing