Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by Michael » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 pm

gabrielb wrote:Tofino video... some barrels for George while waiting for April

Nice, thanks for that Gabriel! I need to get a short board now! :D Going out there for the family day long weekend in Feb.
Michael

by gabrielb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:08 am

it's still NW, with 0 local wind. Not in forecast, same as the 1.2m last night, lasting 2 hours...
hb.JPG
hb.JPG (20.88 KiB) Viewed 13544 times

I am passing by UBC at 1245pm. I'll take a photo.
gabrielb

by keeldude » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Northern half of strait was cooking overnight, though the sea state recorded at HB was a mix of NW and SE

Sisters_night_wind.jpg
Sisters_night_wind.jpg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 13521 times
keeldude

by gabrielb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:30 pm

went by WB at 1245. HB was 0.7m at 12noon.

Was there a break? yes. It was small but there were rides and you could surf it.
Wind was just direcly NW of WB, white caps too. From UBC lookout there was 0 wind, no break at iona at all. very localized.

But still at 10-12 noon there were rides at WB.

Next time, I'll give it a try. Sisters-Ballenas was strong.
gabrielb

by keeldude » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:57 pm

I've seen that weather pattern once before and heard of it occurring another time (swell rolling down from far up strait). it set up some nice conditions at Wreck, was like 3ft @ 6s without a breath of wind at the beach. Today, the white caps you saw near the beach were probably N/NW from the outlet of Howe Sound? Possibly a bit of combo swell rolling out of there? :D I remember you checked WB once when Pam Rocks was N 45kn and there was maybe a foot of shorebreak, but i wonder how much swell shows up at wreck from N 53 G 66kn which occurred last night.
keeldude

by gabrielb » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 am

Some NW tomorrow Wed. There was a small session last Sunday, WB.

Next friday looking good for PR...
friday.JPG
friday.JPG (36.99 KiB) Viewed 13286 times

friday1.JPG
friday1.JPG (20.58 KiB) Viewed 13286 times
gabrielb

by C36 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:14 am

SI-1 - Sombrio (2019 Feb 21)

Mirage. As I drove down the last hill I let out a WhooHoo! at the sight of a dream-like peeling right at Queesto. According to one local it seems sediment has been stacking up in the lee of the old pier piles to create a low-tide bar break. Well whatever was causing it, it looked unreal.

ImageQuick stop at JR (closing out) to see the SE wind start to push (enough that I would have rigged 5.3/116 if I had it with me) and by the time I got back to Q-spot the wind and tide had both conspired to take the beauties away. Off to Sombrio it was (to seek shelter from the wind) and get my first session in there.

Semi-sketch snow-covered access road down (one car parked up at the highway – guess they didn’t want to risk it). Nice to see François when I arrived (but he was coming off the water after a week on the south isle). François said he had been out at chickens and it was small. I walked in for a look-see.

Firsts looked fun (except for the field of boiling boulders on the inside) and no one was riding it was a little unnerving.

Chickens looked like it had something to offer (and looked open and low-risk).

Seconds looked heavy and fast and was the focus of attention for a large pack of rather skilled surfers (surfing the way I want to when I grow up).

Hmmmm – given the cool temps, wind and feeling exhausted from a long week, I just about didn’t go out, but I did. Chickens was fun (even if the roll and wind made positioning a challenge)! Beware of the shore break on the way in and out. Glad I went out!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

SI-2 – Jordan River (2019 Feb 21)

Cool-down/warm-up. Stopped in a JR on the way home and it looked like a rolly-polly stew of confusion and I just about drove away. After a few minutes the wind backed and it hinted it was glassing off so I suited up for a cool-down session. Glad I did as first few strikes were all successful, wave count went up and it was fun, until the ebbing tide rounded off the swell to just a little too fat and hard to catch. Started at rock pile (caught one open right with size and energy that served up what felt like a dozen hits), then pointe left, then pointe right (first time on SUP – small, but I’ll take it). Was working so hard at not catching waves toward the end I had to jump in to cool down from overheating. Overall it was fun and felt warm in the sun. Glad I went out!

Slideshow

SI-3 – Jordan River (2019 Feb 21)

Playful. Got my ‘chores’ done early so headed west for one last try before leaving the island. Looked small, but glassy with hints of fun. Paddled out against the set of the day (overhead peelers). Glassy with slight offshore wind at times. Low-tide and small swell made for some rides in shallow water. One guy out on SUP foil catching rides on even the roundest of swell. Started at rock pile, then pointe left, then pointe right, rock pile again, then Queesto. I could see a small pack of skilled surfers slashing the wedge off the Queesto pier piles, so paddle down to get a water-side look-see. Power pocket wave that look like seconds, but I waited for a medium sized one with more width and caught a nice sample ride. As I was paddling back from Queesto I thought of a Gerry Lopez quote, “When in doubt, paddle out.” – wisdom. Exited on pointe left. Glad I went out!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by ShonanDB » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 am

Nice work Dave! Glad to hear you were able to get out a few times while there.
ShonanDB

by Michael » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for the photos Dave, looks like a nice place. Glad you got out!
Michael

by Slappy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:21 am

Nice score David, surprised nobody raged at you for being out at JR on a SUP.
Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing