Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Solo Third Person Filming While on the Water

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by mjamero » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Pavel wrote:Mark, next time we go Windsurfing together, I can follow you with my head mount camera and/or film you from the beach while I take a break.

Thanks for the offer Pavel. This could work in a pinch. The challenge with having windsurfers film windsurfers is we all want to be on the water together! It's more fun the more of us there are out there. Filming from a fixed location on shore also offers a good perspective for critical analyzing later.

Apparently the Soloshot 3 allows you to track multiple people provided they are wearing a tracker.

A Refurb Soloshot 3 can be had for 599 USD right now. Still a bit rich for my blood at the moment. Maybe once the CAD is more favorable. Seems like it could be a really useful tool though.
mjamero

by Slappy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:52 pm

I know one of the WS people set up a GoPro on a sand spike at the Spit in the low tide river flats. Only people that can steal it there are fellow WS/kiters so it's pretty safe. I think it had a bit of issue with the wind blowing the spike around creating wobble in the video though. I think the video was posted to kiteboardbc.com or here, it was a few years ago.

Alternatively you can just build a little sandcastle and put your GoPro on top of it upside down resting on the mouth mount.

Those solutions only really work for areas where you have beach next to deep enough water though and I think you are more of a Jericho guy. For Jericho you could build yourself a little Inuksuk platform at the end of the groin in the sailing area and just put your GoPro on top of that upside down on the mouth mount.

Then you just sail close by when filming so you can keep watch on it. To steal it someone would have to walk out on to the groin and you would see them pretty easy. Make sure to switch to Linear or Medium or even Narrow FoV to make up for the distance.

jericho.jpg
jericho.jpg (97.39 KiB) Viewed 14312 times

The best thing about the official GoPro bite mount is that once you are done filming 3rd person stuff you just clip it back on to your boom or helmet or whatever as the bite mount has a standard clip on the other end.
Slappy

by Michael » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:57 pm

mjamero wrote:The first idea is to find a clear camera case and somehow secure it to a fixed object with an unobstructed view of the sailing area.

A good spot to do this is at the Squamish spit. You need a camera that takes good video from a distance, not a gopro. Set the camera up on the river side of the spit in the rocks, I've seen a few people do this with different amounts of success, I think Massimo got some good shots? Get someone to do a few gybes while you set up the camera and just keep sailing in that spot. Squamish is great for gybe practice in the river because the reach is so short, if set up right you could capture gybes on both tacks. Saying that I think a clew setup with the gopro will help you more with your gybes, you get to see both your foot and hand movement/placement, best would be a 2 cam set up, clew and from the beach! :D
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Mark, if you're serious about progress, I would ditch Jericho this summer and try to get as many days as possible in Squamish instead. The stronger and more reliable wind will speed up progress immensely. It also offers better filming options, either from the sandbar at low tide, or from the rocks/spit.

I've left my GoPro on the rocks before when trying to figure out loops a few years back, and it did actually really help with progress.

With the videos I was able to figure out that my rotation position was all wrong, and eventually self-coach to proper technique.

With some angles from the sandbar on low tide days:

Better off shelling out $500 in gas getting to Squamish this summer, than $500 on a self-filming cam: The ROI on progress will be much higher. There are also more than enough stoked windsurfers ready to offer advice and take turns filming, to help out those serious about progress ;)
AdrienGrelon

by mjamero » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:38 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have a lead on a used Soloshot3 for $650 CAD. For what it is this is a fair price. However, after watching several reviews and footage I'm not sure the technology is there yet. For the price (especially the new price) I was expecting better quality video. Video looks washed out and the potential for camera shake when zoomed due to wind in is a deal breaker. Perhaps other robotic camera/mounts are better.

A review of the Soloshot3 from a kiteboarder's opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6enOqu4czs8
mjamero

by grantmac » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Squamish>camera.

It's way easier to learn gybes when you can rig smaller.
grantmac

by LeopardSkin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Yes, I agree with AdrienGrelon and grantmac.

Sailing at the Squamish Spit really is the most effective and fastest way to improve your windsurfing and kiting.

In addition, it is also the cheapest way to improve your riding.

At the Spit, all you need is one board. Probably around a 90 litre FSW for your body weight. Most 180 pound guys are on 100 litre FSW. You only need to own two sails. For you, maybe a 5.0, and a 4.2. For a 180 lb guy, 5.5 or 6.0 for the biggest sail. Something like that. There is no need to own expensive race gear and a ridiculous number of sails. One board, one mast extension, one mast, two sails, one boom.

Sail two times a week from June through September. If you have a week off from work, sail every day at the Spit. At the end of the summer, you will be one of those guys who can gybe consistently. You'd be doing laydowns, ducks, whatever. Maybe some freestyle if you're really motivated. Get at least 30 days in the summer. Carpool with another windsurfer or kiter. At the Spit, you are right where the action is. Hang out with other competent windsurfers. Ask them lots of questions re: technique. There are lots of windsurfers who are competent sailors at the spit. At the spit, typically you rig the same sail every day. You don't waste time and effort deciding what size you're going to rig. Show up, rig up, sail. Leave Vancouver at 11:00 AM. Sail for two hours. You're back in Vancouver by 5:00 PM.

The Gorge is gusty, and requires more than one board, and two sails. Hence the Gorge is expensive and ineffectual in learning how to gybe. Don't sail at Harrison Lake or Porteau Cove, where you're forced to buy expensive race gear which doesn't gybe easily. Don't sail at Nexen, because you typically need to spend more money for a bigger rig, and you waste time schlogging upwind to where the wind is. When you're learning to gybe, you don't want to waste time schlogging upwind. 5.0 and smaller sails are easy to gybe, and the skills are easily transferable to large gear.

In 2020, when you're a consistent lawn mower, then you can think about buying expensive race gear, travelling to exotic locales, sailing at Harrison, Nexen, etc. Buy an expensive camera to film yourself doing cool stuff for fun videos. In 2020.

Most people around the world don't have access to daily consistent 20 to 25 knots. You should take advantage of it. Lots of wind tourists from across Canada and Washington State visit the spit because they don't have the same conditions at home. Many live in Squamish for the summer. That's how good we have it here.
Last edited by LeopardSkin on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LeopardSkin

by tweegster » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Page 2 and not a single joke on the name solo shot and, let’s be honest, it’s largest market potential?
tweegster

by LeopardSkin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:40 pm

tweegster wrote:Page 2 and not a single joke on the name solo shot and, let’s be honest, it’s largest market potential?

Holy shite I just thought of it now :D
LeopardSkin

by Alton » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:43 pm

tweegster wrote:Page 2 and not a single joke on the name solo shot and, let’s be honest, it’s largest market potential?

I'm so shamed I missed that too. After 27 years of marriage, what can I say? :(
Alton

PreviousNext

Return to General