2019 first sesh Thursday? Wednesday too cold

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:56 pm

Done. It's tanking to 12m conditions
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:06 pm

Alton wrote:Done. It's tanking to 12m conditions

But is it.... civilized? :lol:

Solid first session of the year. 4.2m for 2 hours, dialed to lit. Watched Michael come so close to claiming a backloop! Just had to hang onto the rig and waterstart it, and it was a done deal, but the clew got ripped from his hands on landing :evil:

No XXL bowls on the outside today, but occasional nuggets that allowed a very Euro frontside bottom turn :lol:

Air temp was tolerable, water temp was brutal!
AdrienGrelon

by Alton » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Scored 2hrs (9am - noon) on 7m+surfboard. Very civilized start SSE 25-30 with fun waist high rollers between 3rd Ave and Centennial - tons of wave rides ... but riding solo (only kiter).

Eventually, Dan, Rob D, Cash, David, James, Ben and Jerry joined in. Towards 11am overpowered in SSE 28-33 so took a break. Returned to very civilized SSE 25 with glassy smooth sections between waves ... fun fun fun ... until it tanked to SSE 20 ... then called it a day.

Hope late arrivals Chalmers, Slappy, Steve ... scored a good session.

Boundary_Bay_Thu_Jan_3.gif
Boundary_Bay_Thu_Jan_3.gif (20.58 KiB) Viewed 9668 times
Alton

by C36 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:48 pm

POW. Arrived to find AG getting ready to rip (rigging) and Johnny2 telling tales of dawn patrol face shots in the POW in the outside (deep rolling swell) - must have been deep because he disappeared from view.

Saw the aerial artist AG land a helicopter (forward loop) on his first jump. Nice! Didn't look like that much from the trail head (beach), but J2 was right, there was deep fresh snow (big smooth rolling waves) on the outside just past the second bank in the honey hole (like our own version of 'The Generals'). Dropped into the soft, smooth quiet rolls and felt the inner joy well up. Snow conditions (wind/wave angle) made for easy turns back to the lift (launch). Jumped back in the lift line (upwind tack out), and repeat (again and again). It was snowing so hard (windy) that the tracks from the last run had filled in by the time we got back to the outside again! More smiles!!! Lots of stoke on the hill (water) and in the lodge (on the beach)! This one was shiny for sure! Air temp was perfect, but snow (water) was chilly (Peter mentioned 4 degrees for polar bear swim on Jan 1). No gloves (just). Great way to kick off the new year! I like 2019.

Pre-Session OSR
Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Brian C » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:55 pm

I had a chilling start but a much better finish...
Hit the water at 940 on 4.5/86 litres and sailed until 1120. The 4.5 was just right at the beginning, a bit overpowered during the mid-session peak, and just right at the finish.
Had a frustrating start when, on my second reach, I missed a gybe and a breaking wave washed my rig away. Had to swim hard for a few minutes (and several more waves) to catch it, then my hands were frozen for the next few reaches. I stayed on the inside for a while after that to regain my confidence. Found some nice waves and ramps but had to deal with more chop than most of you on the outside in the clean swell.
Once the rain let up, it seemed warmer and I ventured out into “the good stuff”. Best rides were with Dave on the outside swell just before the wind lightened and we came in.
Overall, it was great to get such an early start to the 2019 season and certainly a fun way to spend a rainy morning!
Happy New Year everyone!!
Brian C

by LeopardSkin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:31 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Air temp was tolerable, water temp was brutal!

C36 wrote:Air temp was perfect, but snow (water) was chilly (Peter mentioned 4 degrees for polar bear swim on Jan 1)

Brian C wrote:...then my hands were frozen for the next few reaches...

Orca wrote:...too cold for a nice breaching...

Seal wrote:...too cold to munch on yummy fish...

Polar bear wrote:...what you guys talking about. It's way too warm...

Yep.
LeopardSkin

by 8mdude » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:58 pm

Good way to start the year with a double session: Windsurfing with 3.4M / 83L and kiting with 8M. I still got it -- still stoked with windsurfing.
8mdude

by Adrian L » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:43 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:
AdrienGrelon wrote:Air temp was tolerable, water temp was brutal!

C36 wrote:Air temp was perfect, but snow (water) was chilly (Peter mentioned 4 degrees for polar bear swim on Jan 1)

Brian C wrote:...then my hands were frozen for the next few reaches...

Orca wrote:...too cold for a nice breaching...

Seal wrote:...too cold to munch on yummy fish...

Polar bear wrote:...what you guys talking about. It's way too warm...

Yep.

I should have worn board shorts to work today; the heat was cranking!
Adrian L

by Roxstock » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Managed to squeeze in a 45 minute session at 72nd before it got too dark to ride. Light wind when I first went out but luckily it picked up after a few minutes on the water and made dealing with the tunnel traffic worth while.

Thanks for the inspiration words of encouragement Alton, I was on the fence all afternoon until you swayed me.
Roxstock

by tweegster » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 pm

Mark and I had a good after work session. Started light, ended lit with no light.

The big depower center line let go on my old 2014 North bar. I was able continue flying and ride in on my flagging line. Score one for old skool dual line flagging.

:mrgreen:
tweegster

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR