Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

JP AllRide

Windsurfing shop talk

by Pavel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:07 am

Has anyone had any experience with the JP AllRide? There’s very few reviews online. I know they are narrow, but most people seem very happy with them on forums. Some say that it actually planes earlier than Magic Rides, but has higher top speed and handles chop better.
I was able to get a reply from a JP design guy, he also recommended it over the Magic Ride.
I’m looking at the 2018 106l in wood construction. It would cover 4 of my 5 sails (4.7-7.5), could be the only board I need.
Pavel

by mjamero » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:22 am

If this is going to be your biggest board and used at Locarno I would not recommend a 106. If you are planning to have another board larger than this then 106 maybe.

I'm looking at the sail range for a 2018 JP Allride wood 106 right now. It's ideal sail range is 5.0 - 6.7. Your 7.5 is completely eliminated along with a 7.0. A 6.5 would be at the edge of it's comfort zone and may be a poor match for the board. The sweet spot of this board's sail range is 5.8. The supplied fin is a 32 and would likely not be enough for 6.0 and up. You would need to buy an additional fin 36-38 maybe if you used a 6.5. This board is too narrow for my personal taste.

My opinion is a 106 for you is too big to be small and too small to be big. I recommend a 121(ish) for your big board and an 86-96 for your small board. Those two sizes would cover 95% of the type of sailing you will likely do for the next 5 years.
mjamero

by grantmac » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 am

I've sailed a similar 106L with a 7.4 and it just didn't work right. It didn't gain any early planing ability but sailed heavier.

The 116 would probably work down to a 5.0 and then you could comfortably hop on a 85-90L board.
grantmac

by adam2 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 pm

I feel like a one board quiver for finned (non-foiling) in the Lower Mainland and Squamish will always be a big compromise at either end of the wind spectrum regardless of the shape. At 75Kgs I've had the best luck in the past with a 135L big board for reasonably good days at Jericho (even these are rare), and an 85L board for decent Squamish conditions. The 85L would also be alright for light Gorge days at spots like the Hatch.

Mjamero nailed it with, "My opinion is a 106 for you is too big to be small and too small to be big."

I think 106L would feel big in Squamish on most summer days, especially if you are light, and a little too small at Jericho on all but the best days.

The closest I've come to a one-board quiver is thanks to foiling, I've used the same 122L board with a 6.5 (I'd like to go bigger too) down to a 3.7 and haven't felt like another board would be worth the trouble yet. The high end has worked so well with the foil that I don't even bother bringing its fin with me anymore as it would top out as a finned board much earlier than it tops out on the foil.
adam2

by grantmac » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:33 pm

I agree with Adam except at 85kg I found 106L awesome in squamish and only marginal for a good day at Acadia.

I've settled on a two board quiver of 122L and 95L for mainly island sailing. I haven't gotten into high wind foiling but I have used a 5.7 and 5.2 on the 122L, had the wind come up and plugged it directly into the 95L. My 122L has centerline straps and I've used it with quite small fins.

Of note (this was also mentioned in the other thread). NP is releasing a foil for powerbox boards of normal width designed for very light winds.
I'd still get the 116 however since a bit more volume really helps get foiling earlier and the extra width will allow a bit more sail. But with that combo you could cover a wide range of conditions.

Edit: also consider the Naish starship. Reviews are outstanding and they are very well built.
https://www.bigwinds.com/naish-windsurf ... p-115-used
grantmac

by mjamero » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:11 pm

Pavel, I'm sure you've looked in to it already but, what about that 115 Fanatic that's on Craigslist at the moment? The price, size, and model seem to be in line with what you're looking for. Who's board is that by the way? Does it belong to a WTFBC member? It's been posted a while now. I'd assume there should be some wiggle room on the price for that board.
mjamero

by Pavel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies.

When I enter my current weight (152lbs/69kg) into the “Riggeek” calculator, it recommends 102l for the lightwind board. Eddy from “BigWinds” recommended a 112l board for my weight, current level and sailing locations. The 106l gives me around 1.55l of float per kg, which is equivalent to a 132l board for an 85kg sailer.
My previous big board (135 Rocket) didn’t work well anywhere but Locarno at less than 16knots. I’m afraid a 120l wide board will feel the same.

The JP website lists the recommended 106 Allride sail range as 4.7-7.2 (ideal 5.0-6.7). Because it’s not a FSW or a Freewave board, the mast track is positioned further forward so it can carry a larger sail and a larger fin and can be used with a 7.2 -7.5 sail.

Last season, I used 5.7 and 6.5 for about 90% of my sessions, 4.5 three times and 7.5 once. The 5.7,6.5 are right in the sweet spot for the 106 Allride.

Yes, I saw the Fanatic on Craigslist. I was advised not to use a large freewave board as a freeride board of the same volume, because the mast track is positioned further back. This means that with larger sails, I will need to move the mast base all the way forward, which will make the board slower and stickier.

Though decision...
Perhaps I’m overthinking it.
Pavel

by C36 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:07 pm

mjamero wrote:Pavel, I'm sure you've looked in to it already but, what about that 115 Fanatic that's on Craigslist at the moment? The price, size, and model seem to be in line with what you're looking for. Who's board is that by the way? Does it belong to a WTFBC member? It's been posted a while now. I'd assume there should be some wiggle room on the price for that board.

Pavel wrote:Thank you everyone for your replies.

When I enter my current weight (152lbs/69kg) into the “Riggeek” calculator, it recommends 102l for the lightwind board. Eddy from “BigWinds” recommended a 112l board for my weight, current level and sailing locations. The 106l gives me around 1.55l of float per kg, which is equivalent to a 132l board for an 85kg sailer.
My previous big board (135 Rocket) didn’t work well anywhere but Locarno at less than 16knots. I’m afraid a 120l wide board will feel the same.

The JP website lists the recommended 106 Allride sail range as 4.7-7.2 (ideal 5.0-6.7). Because it’s not a FSW or a Freewave board, the mast track is positioned further forward so it can carry a larger sail and a larger fin and can be used with a 7.2 -7.5 sail.

Last season, I used 5.7 and 6.5 for about 90% of my sessions, 4.5 three times and 7.5 once. The 5.7,6.5 are right in the sweet spot for the 106 Allride.

Yes, I saw the Fanatic on Craigslist. I was advised not to use a large freewave board as a freeride board of the same volume, because the mast track is positioned further back. This means that with larger sails, I will need to move the mast base all the way forward, which will make the board slower and stickier.

Though decision...
Perhaps I’m overthinking it.

I've found the best way to tell if a board if right for you or not is to sail it. Fanatic FW 115 is here locally and if you want to take it for a sail to try it we can arrange it. I have read all of the posts in both threads and don't see any reason why you would not enjoy the 115 (the 116 I'm using now, not so much). For your consideration.
C36

by Pavel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Thank you C36,

If I don’t buy anything before the start of the season, I might give it a try.

Cheers,

Pavel
Pavel

by LeopardSkin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Pavel wrote:Thank you C36,

If I don’t buy anything before the start of the season, I might give it a try.

Cheers,

Pavel

Yes, the 2018 windsurfing season ends December 31, 2018.

Looking forward to the start of the 2019 season on January 1, 2019!

P.S. tomorrow will be fun
LeopardSkin

Next

Return to Windsurfing