Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Thursday+Friday

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 pm

Crazy wind shut down, coast guard finally found Benito!
Michael

by Alton » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Michael wrote:Crazy wind shut down, coast guard finally found Benito!

Wow
Alton

by LeopardSkin » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:35 pm

Wowsers. We all went out around 2:00 when the wind kicked in. 25 knots. 2' Hawaiian. Lasted about 30 mins.
LeopardSkin

by bandito » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:54 pm

actually I made it barely back to shore downwind on 16th . over 2 hours in the water and started shivering after n hour, I thought that was it for me. saw the coast guards lights on me a couple times but they were not seeing me as they were too far. if the wind didn't pick up again , the tide down currents would have made it impossible to make it back to shore as I was way too far. Only the coast guards would had made a chance then that I survive.Thanks for calling them and for that kiter that was looking for me on is bicycle down to the airport. A resident called the search 2 boats party off, thanks Everyone for your concerns n great efforts !!!!!

Man , if I didn't had my 6/5mm wet suit wt hoody + extra fleece under +
mitts, I would have freeze out.

Friday from hell it was.
bandito

by babymama » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Bandito i don’t know you but was very worried about you like so many others who stayed on the shore. I had to leave but was calling to get update.
Myself and a couple others were also stuck in water and swam for what it seems eternity!!!, how ever we got in shortly before 5.
It was so heartwarming and reassuring to see David awaiting us on the shore while arranging coast guards and to see Michael paddling around to help people.
Thank you so much to you both. Much love. Also thanks to others who stayed until you were found.
Bandito, it is a very Good Friday. You maybe terrified but so so determined and lucky to be alive. Very very happy for you and your family
babymama

by Ryan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:13 pm

I'm very happy you're (Bandito) OK. I was a little worried, the water was not warm. I saw your kite go down about 100m from where I was when the wind shut off. So in the picture you were at the o and drifted to the +, that's about 2.5 KM.

ACapture.JPG
ACapture.JPG (32.94 KiB) Viewed 10801 times
Ryan

by Michael » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:57 pm

bandito wrote:

actually I made it barely back to shore downwind on 16th .

Dude, glad you made it back!
Did you ditch your kite and swim with your board?
Michael

by Mike » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 am

I couldn't make it but am sure glad to hear everyone is ok and warms the heart to hear about folks looking out for each other.

Quote from Bandito Thursday (day before): "if you have a family make sure your life insurance is up to date Friday"

I found it odd to hear reports on the radio yesterday about the Ferries closing down and "thousands without power on the island." I guess the wind hit somewhere? Can't find the meteorologist explanations as to why the risks were the complete opposite of what was expected (wind failure vs too much).

Capture.PNG
Photo from Tuesday courtesy of C36
Capture.PNG (426.06 KiB) Viewed 10736 times
Mike

by gabrielb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:01 pm

For kitesurfers... When SE, we expect rain and clouds. If sun appears on a SE you know it's switching S, even though you are SE on water level, SSW is looming, , meaning wind will die soon. Can't have SE and SW on clouds.
If having fun on SE you see the sun then it' s bad news. Good news for PR , as glassy sunny session, best surf there for surfing.

NW is the opposite, sunny always, expect the odd rainy NW, higher clouds may give a hint of the switch.

Gotta read weather 30km away by looking at the horizon, clouds, etc. May sound stupid but it will save you time.

Sunday 730-10am tide is good, all looks good and rainy == wind will be there, no surprises.
gabrielb

by Slappy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:09 pm

The wind clocking south isn't that uncommon and isn't that big of a deal for kiters. When that happens there is still plenty of south wind to self rescue back to shore in less than 20 minutes.

The issue that causes coastguard calls is when the wind quickly switches from SE to W and then it's directly off shore.

wind.png
wind.png (17.1 KiB) Viewed 10605 times

When this happens kiters have these options:
1) Ditch your kite and swim to shore (hard to throw $1000 in to the ocean though)
2) Swim against the wind with your kite leading edge down, I did this in the summer at Jericho in this vlog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YP28xYlQ3E&t=130s and it was hard
3) Deflate your kite and swim in pulling a sea anchor (keep struts inflated for some floatation)

Always dress for the swim, not for the kite.

Glad to hear everybody made it in safe. Yesterday's forecast was pretty off the mark.
Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing