Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui Report

Windsurfing shop talk

by Faceplant » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:40 am

Pretty sweet reports. I thought it was generally more windy in during the summer months. I might have to consider a trip there next winter, as we try to go away around this time.
Faceplant

by Michael » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:01 am

Chuck wrote:Massive props to Michael for playing chauffeur/tour guide for the day and making such a great day possible.
My pleasure, super fun sharing a session and stoke. :D Another awesome day, big waves, big swims, big smiles! :D Had the best bottom turn of my life out there today, until Matt told me I was doing it all wrong but hey felt awesome at the time. :lol: Mast high, lots of speed, glass face, weightless sail, scary top turn as it started to close out, boom, sailed away. Great to share the day with Chuck, Johnny, Heather, Dan, Richard, who I saw on the water a few times, Patrick, the rest of the very happy locals and a big thanks to Matt for some coaching for Johnny and I! Got lots to practice for my last 2 days!
Attachments
Chuck.jpg
Chuck.jpg (617.73 KiB) Viewed 11920 times
Swimming.jpg
Swimming.jpg (655.91 KiB) Viewed 11920 times
Smack.jpg
Smack.jpg (734.65 KiB) Viewed 11920 times
BBTOML.jpg
BBTOML.jpg (663.32 KiB) Viewed 11920 times
TopTurn.jpg
TopTurn.jpg (759.72 KiB) Viewed 11920 times
Boom.jpg
Boom.jpg (585.15 KiB) Viewed 11920 times
Michael

by C36 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:46 pm

@M/J2:

That would be awesome if some of the KTV coverage I saw on Wednesday was your group. I saw a few single rider three hit rides on bombs with speed, power and flow that looked unreal, a few overcrowded party waves that were full consumed by a pack of pouncing 'wolves', one towering back loop (landed) 8-) - all the action was really making me wish I was there and just couldn't turn away ~ then I checked back in the late afternoon to see a group slogging out in light wind to all get mowed by a logo/mast-high wall of white water in the aftermath of a clearing set (that made it seem OK to not be there). :D ;)

Enjoy ever second of the rest of the trip!
C36

by Chuck » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Chuck wrote:
3E2E8B50-5D8C-4F46-8117-EB65A4E1EE0F.jpeg
Man, SO nice to be in warm water and decent waves!!!

Massive props to Michael for playing chauffeur/tour guide for the day and making such a great day possible.

Some really nice waves today, Michael, Johnny and Heather were all charging it, taking names and kicking ass. YVR crew party waves proved elusive but plenty of company on a crowded reef with everyone looking to smack that lip! :D

Great to hang with everyone incl Dan and Patrick, and super stoked to be back in Hawaii.

More to come....

Alton can you fix my kitties in the first pic? iPhone posted them sideways for some reason. Thx!!
Chuck

by Mike » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:00 am

Michael wrote:Mast high, lots of speed, glass face, weightless sail, scary top turn as it started to close out, boom, sailed away. Great to share the day with Chuck, Johnny, Heather, Dan, Richard,

NICE! I don't think it gets better than this.
Mike

by Michael » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:06 am

Day 5 started off slow, wind was super light, waves were head to logo, slogged out to the reef caught a nice one but with no wind, got one hit and came back in. Waited for things to pick up but should have waited a bit longer got back out to the reef only to get worked by a big set, took about 3 on the head then a nice swim after my gear. Back to the beach and waited again, things picked up quickly and was back out again fully powered. Things felt strange after a lesson with Matt, was like starting over, found some smaller waves to practice on and by the end of the day was feeling like I had figured a few things out. Wind dropped though and it was mostly a slog and ride day. Lots of good sailors out again today as Hookipa was closing out. Saw Bernd do a goiter right in front of me, it's amazing how relaxed those guys are in those conditions, next level! Was the end of the day and Johnny and Heather were packing up to go to the airport, I decided to go out and try again, I get out past the reef, turn around and there's Johnny again, he couldn't resist and had to catch one more wave! I tried to catch up to him to make his last wave a party wave but couldn't as the golden hour was light. I managed to catch one more with about 5 hits perfect way to end the day. Sad to see Johnny and Heather go, :( one more day for me. :D
Attachments
PunchingOut.jpg
PunchingOut.jpg (891.57 KiB) Viewed 11835 times
LogoHigh.jpg
LogoHigh.jpg (864.75 KiB) Viewed 11835 times
PunchingOut2.jpg
PunchingOut2.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 11835 times
BottomTurn1.jpg
BottomTurn1.jpg (721.55 KiB) Viewed 11835 times
BottomTurn2.jpg
BottomTurn2.jpg (780.81 KiB) Viewed 11835 times
Smack.jpg
Smack.jpg (903.12 KiB) Viewed 11835 times
Michael

by johnny2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:43 am

Friday Dec 7, 2018 - Another great day in paradise. 5.0/77L slog and surf. Medium sized swell and lighter wind at Kanaha. Still mast high sets coming through. At the start of day as I'm slogging out just past the reef Bernd Roediger blasts pass me full power on a 4.5 and throws his sail to backwind as he carves onto a mast high wave face. I could just see the tip of his mast zipping around from out back as he was tearing the wave to shreds. I saw him a few times drop into set waves backwinded. I would say that's next, next level stuff. I had a great day, caught several big ones. Heather had a great day too getting outside with no problems and catching some waves and practicing jibes in the big swell on her 69L. Next step is to hit the mash potatoes as Matt would say. We sailed till 5:15, and after I sneaked in a last wave with Michael, we packed quickly and Michael kindly helped us take our gear back to Matt's as we headed straight to the airport and jumped onto a plane at 7:30 to Oahu where we're going to watch the Billabong Pipe Masters today and do some surfing of our own. Great day and great way to end the Maui trip with a great session. Glad you came over Michael.
Attachments
michael JP.png
Michael photo by Jimmie Hepp. Looking good!
michael JP.png (604.62 KiB) Viewed 11830 times
johnny2

by C36 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Michael wrote:...Things felt strange after a lesson with Matt, was like starting over, found some smaller waves to practice on and by the end of the day was feeling like I had figured a few things out. Wind dropped though and it was mostly a slog and ride day. Lots of good sailors out again today as Hookipa was closing out. Saw Bernd do a goiter right in front of me, it's amazing how relaxed those guys are in those conditions, next level! Was the end of the day and Johnny and Heather were packing up to go to the airport, I decided to go out and try again, I get out past the reef, turn around and there's Johnny again, he couldn't resist and had to catch one more wave! I tried to catch up to him to make his last wave a party wave but couldn't as the golden hour was light. I managed to catch one more with about 5 hits perfect way to end the day. Sad to see Johnny and Heather go, :( one more day for me. :D

M: Things feeling strange is a good sign (leaving the old ways behind and putting MP's advice into action). The Day 5 pictures look like they have way more flow and the timing of the last smack looks awesome (even taking into account the different perspective from the mast mount). 8-)

johnny2 wrote:Friday Dec 7, 2018 - Another great day in paradise. 5.0/77L slog and surf. Medium sized swell and lighter wind at Kanaha. Still mast high sets coming through. At the start of day as I'm slogging out just past the reef Bernd Roediger blasts pass me full power on a 4.5 and throws his sail to backwind as he carves onto a mast high wave face. I could just see the tip of his mast zipping around from out back as he was tearing the wave to shreds. I saw him a few times drop into set waves backwinded. I would say that's next, next level stuff. I had a great day, caught several big ones. Heather had a great day too getting outside with no problems and catching some waves and practicing jibes in the big swell on her 69L. Next step is to hit the mash potatoes as Matt would say. We sailed till 5:15, and after I sneaked in a last wave with Michael, we packed quickly and Michael kindly helped us take our gear back to Matt's as we headed straight to the airport and jumped onto a plane at 7:30 to Oahu where we're going to watch the Billabong Pipe Masters today and do some surfing of our own. Great day and great way to end the Maui trip with a great session. Glad you came over Michael.

Well done H/J2!!! :D :D :D
Pretty sure M is glad he made the trip over too!
Thanks to all for taking the time to post. It was fun to get a sense of what you were all getting treated to! :D :D :D
C36

by Michael » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Last day, exhausted after 5 days of sailing day 6 had good moments and a few really bad! First wave of the day caught a beauty logo high wave, went in for a bottom turn and was thinking OK remember what Matt was saying, front foot pressure, don't rake the rig ba....BOOM, closed out right on top of me going down the line, massive rinse cycle, then 3 more monsters on the head, gear was long gone and it was a nice 10 minute swim down past the life guard station to finally catch up to it. Straight to shore to catch my breath and back out for more. Wave hit me so hard my camera had a malfunction warning on it and it didn't save the file. Had a few other swims and workings getting through the break as the wind would crank then shut down at the best moments of course. There were rain squalls coming through most of the day and that made the conditions really challenging. I caught some of my biggest waves of the trip today but also had some of the worst beatings. The last wave of the day I was following Patrick around figuring he would be in the best spot. He was I just wasn't ready for it. The waves were doubling up today as well and I got caught off guard a few times. I saw Patrick grab a beauty, I was waiting in line right behind him, then I saw my wave coming, a nice mast high monster, pumped like hell to get on it and I was like wait a minute this thing is only waist high and then it just disappeared, I was like hey were did my wave go and I turned around and it was right on top of me, no wind and no where to run. Took me down and I didn't think I was coming back up, it just kept holding me down, finally I got up and took the next one right on the head. Usually waves at Kanaha aren't that heavy but these 2 were nasty, again it held me down what like felt forever. Finally got up and had another long swim for my gear. Anyways that was it by the time I got back to the beach there was no wind and there was no way I was going back out there. Until next time Maui!
:D Best windsurfing trip I ever had, six days of wind and waves, thanks to everyone that was there for making it even more fun and those at home for reading the logs and putting up with my over excited ramblings. :D :D
Attachments
NoWindImpactZone.jpg
NoWindImpactZone.jpg (708.73 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
NoWindImpactZone2.jpg
NoWindImpactZone2.jpg (637.29 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
PunchingOut.jpg
PunchingOut.jpg (646.05 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
SeeNoSharks.jpg
SeeNoSharks.jpg (562.85 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
NoWindImpactZone3.jpg
NoWindImpactZone3.jpg (677.26 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
FollowingPB.jpg
FollowingPB.jpg (618.43 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
BottomTurn.jpg
BottomTurn.jpg (782.75 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
Punished.jpg
Punished.jpg (518.84 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
Michael

by Adrian L » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:30 pm

:shock: wow man! Right on.
Sounds crazy. Love the underwater photo caption. I'm sure with a 10 min swim the mind would wonder what's beneath....
Glad you scored.
Sealions were thick today at CB
Adrian L

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing