Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Want to buy a 115l board

Windsurfing shop talk

by mjamero » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:52 am

Kode FSW are pretty versatile boards. They can be tuned for waves or freeride. If someone is only going to have one or maybe two boards they need to cover as much Territory as possible.

Pavel sails mostly three locations. I'm guessing: Squamish 50%, English Bay 40%. Boundary Bay 10%. Those three locations cover a LOT of conditions. Everything from 3.5 wave sailing up to 7.5+ slalom.

Ultimately one or even two boards are not going to cover all the conditions for all the locations. In the meantime, Pavel needs to cover as much territory with as few boards as possible. Fins and tuning can widen the range.

Regarding English Bay. It is an "everything" site. There have been many times I've expected to sail my Futura 114/7.5 and it's been totally the wrong gear. Mind you I'm a small guy so it takes less wind for me. When the wind gets over 15 knots (not uncommon in the summer) usually the swell also picks up. It can get messy quickly on bigger boards out in the Bay. This summer I had 3 or 4 spectacular sessions on my 94l Kode FSW and 6.0. Yup, 94l FSW in the middle of the summer at EB.
mjamero

by Pavel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks for the info guys,

So if the fsw and freeride shapes are so similar, and you are looking for a 115l board, how do you choose between a large Kode and a mid range Carve (in Starboard case). Wouldn’t it be the same exact board?
Pavel

by grantmac » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:37 pm

There will be subtle differences to shift performance one way or another. The FSW will have a centerline strap position and an outer strap position. The Carve (depending on year) will likely have a beginner position but maybe not an inboard. Freeride boards will be wider throughout and especially in the tail.
Newer Carves are nearly as wide as a Futura and have a wide tail, older ones are narrower but still perhaps a bit wider than a FSW.

At your weight you likely won't need the super early planing of a freerace board, but you might appreciate the control and versatility of a FSW. Especially since NP is releasing a foil designed around FSW/freestyle boards specifically for ultra light wind and beginner foilers. Which could make for a legitimate two board quiver in English Bay.
grantmac

by Pavel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Awesome!
Pavel

by mjamero » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 pm

grantmac wrote:Newer Carves are nearly as wide as a Futura and have a wide tail, older ones are narrower but still perhaps a bit wider than a FSW.

+1
There is a definite trend in boards becoming shorter and wider over the last 5 years. The recent atomIQ are even wider than Carves. I bought a 114l AtomIQ for my wife to learn foostraps and blastin on. It's a 30" wide 114 freeride. An AtomIQ could be an option also BTW.
mjamero

by AdrienGrelon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 pm

Pavel, what is your budget for the board?
AdrienGrelon

by Pavel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Depends entirely on the board. If it’s newer and in great condition, I could spend a bit more. I am also ok with a slightly older less expensive board, as long as it’s in good shape. Roughly around $800
Pavel

by grantmac » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 pm

That Fanatic C36 is selling would be hard to beat. I know he was on that thing every time I saw him.
grantmac

by ShonanDB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 pm

I'm about 72kg and find my 101L JP FSW pretty versatile for what we get locally. Enough volume to uphaul even with a 6.6m sail and 6/5 wetsuit on. It's early to plane, is quite turny, and is stable in all but the worst chop. I sail it regularly (when there is wind of course) and find it handles well even with smaller sails and have used my 3.7m with it a number of times but switch to my 73L when it's 20 + knots and steady. Because of the width I find that it is not as fast as other boards but turns nicely - think hero gybes. I don't think I would want anything with more volume unless DTL wave sailing at the coast and then C36's Fanatic would be the call. When I start to slog on my 73L I switch to the 101L and am fully powered again instead of rigging a bigger sail.
ShonanDB

Previous

Return to Windsurfing