Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Want to buy a 115l board

Windsurfing shop talk

by Pavel » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi,

I’m looking to buy a 115l freeride/freerace board. 2010 or newer with no damage or repairs. Send me a message if you have something.

Cheers,
Pavel
Pavel

by LeopardSkin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Yep, C36 has a nice 115 for sale. LeopardSkin has a nice 105 for sale.
LeopardSkin

by Pavel » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks Leopard Skin. I’m looking for something more like a Futura, to use on light wind days at Jericho and Squamish.

Pavel
Pavel

by grantmac » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:04 pm

I believe that 115L can be setup with outboard straps. Something to be said for a versatile board.
grantmac

by Pavel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:15 am

True. I weigh around 155lbs though, so a115l fsw board would be too large.
Pavel

by LeopardSkin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:20 am

That 105 can also be set up with outboard straps.
LeopardSkin

by grantmac » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:46 am

A "jumbo" FSW is a fun board to have as your big board. You can run straps out for flat water, inboard for light wind waves/old school freestyle.
The only place it won't really work is English Bay thermals and that's really foil/formula territory anyways.

I'm ~190 lbs and my big board is now a 122L FSW. Super versatile and an easy uphaul for those sketchy days. Going to foil it too once I trim the slingshot down to regular tuttle size.
grantmac

by Pavel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks Grantmac,

I sail at Jericho quiet often, and also plan to sail at Harrison Lake next Summer. I used my 135l Tabou Rocket for 10-17 knots range. It was a great board, but for my weight a 115 would work better. My other board is a 90l Syncro, so a flat water, light wind board would work best.
Pavel

by mjamero » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Pavel wrote:Thanks Leopard Skin. I’m looking for something more like a Futura, to use on light wind days at Jericho and Squamish.

Pavel

Pavel wrote:True. I weigh around 155lbs though, so a115l fsw board would be too large.

From first hand experience with Futuras I'm not sure I would recommend a Futura. They are EXTREMELY fragile. They are NOT forgiving at all in the durability department. The reason I'm looking for a second Futura (or iSonic) myself is simply because my current Futura was out of commission twice last season due to repairs caused by trivial damage. These repairs were due to very minor things which on other boards would never have been an issue. Knowing your current level I would recommend something more along the lines of a Starboard Carve, AtomIQ, or a larger Kode FSW. You WILL be catapulted frequently and the super lightweight boards like a Furtura, iSonic etc. WILL be damaged.

Regarding size, volume... Note that Futuras, typically are around 10 liters less volume than a similar freeride board (like a Carve). You can tell by looking at the board's sail range specs. For example. I am a 140 lbs sailor and found that a Carve 121 was my ideal size as my largest board. It was excellent on English Bay. You don't NEED formula or slalom gear for English Bay. Freeride is totally fine, sometimes it's better. Anyway...when I switched from the Carve to a Futura, 111-114 was my equivalent to a 121 for the same sail range.

Personally for your size knowing your current level, and knowing this will be your biggest board, I would not go less than a 121 in a Freeride. For you at your stage something like a Carve 121 would be the perfect board and size. Not too big, not too small. Put the straps inboard and forward, or back and outboard depending on your sailing goal.

For me at my level and size a Futura 114 is a perfect size. HOWEVER, there are times I regret going this small. I am trying to maximize my time on the water. That is why I bought that 8.6 NX the end of the season. In retrospect, I wish my Futura was a bit bigger like 117-122l to handle that sail size better. As it is now, when I get up in to the 8.6 I am at the edge of what the Futura 114 can comfortably handle (9.0 max). A Futura 122 or even iSonic 122+ for MY weight may have been a more appropriate size. It may be necessary that I look at a dedicated Formula board for the 8.6. Durability is a whole other issue. With that said, the 7.5 Retro on the Futura 114 when everything is dialed in and lit is magic. Also fins make a HUGE difference as well. Be prepared to set some money aside for an extra fin or two to go with whichever board you buy. I have a 38cm, 42cm, and 46cm for my Futura. All are Makani KAUILA Freerace. A weed fin should also be in your future. I Would also put on your list a replacement for that sail with the crazy batons. Something to chew on...

Starboard's "Boardfinder" was very useful for determining the ideal board and size. They don't seem to have it anymore.

The windsurfing calculator is a useful guide also:
http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/ ... nline.html
mjamero

by Pavel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks Mark,

Yes, durability is my main concern when looking at Futuras. I believe yours is the top construction, would an older or more basic Futura be more durable? Because I’m not buying a new board, my choices are pretty limited. Some people have suggested getting a slalom board. I don’t know if it’s a good idea for an intermediate level.
But I would want to get something a bit more advanced than my previous board.

PS, I was able to fix that Severne Sail. The previous owner didn’t set the battens properly. Luckily none were broken.
Pavel

Next

Return to Windsurfing