Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui Report

Windsurfing shop talk

by Mike » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Got back yesterday. Found out my Pontiac Vibe odometer only goes to 299,999. Nice wind scored on the first 4 days of 7 sunny Maui days (mostly 4.0 conditions). Nice wind swell on outside and some small waves at Lowers. Brought kite gear but didn't end up using it. Almost got a 5th day on the last day from unexpected wind. I was SUPPing at Kihei.
Wind dropped by the time I was out and was already NNE (not great). Red flag posted but hardly anyone else out after a long shlogg so I took this as a sign to call it. Apparently this was a nearby low that brought the waves and low quality NNE wind. Really nice to see 3 "locals" (from Vancouver).
Mike

by Michael » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:26 am

Mike wrote:Got back yesterday. Found out my Pontiac Vibe odometer only goes to 299,999. Nice wind scored on the first 4 days of 7 sunny Maui days (mostly 4.0 conditions). Nice wind swell on outside and some small waves at Lowers. Brought kite gear but didn't end up using it. Almost got a 5th day on the last day from unexpected wind. I was SUPPing at Kihei.
Wind dropped by the time I was out and was already NNE (not great). Red flag posted but hardly anyone else out after a long shlogg so I took this as a sign to call it. Apparently this was a nearby low that brought the waves and low quality NNE wind. Really nice to see 3 "locals" (from Vancouver).

Hey Mike glad to hear you scored some windy days! 4 out of 7, nice. :D Nothing like sailing on a nice blue open ocean, that swell outside at Lowers can be super fun. :D Can't wait to get back there.
Michael

by Simon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:36 am

Mike wrote:Nice wind scored on the first 4 days of 7 sunny Maui days (mostly 4.0 conditions). Nice wind swell on outside and some small waves at Lowers.

Hi Mike, good to see you at Kanaha, you timed your week well. We are still here, extended our stay based on the forecast :D. There haven't been many wind days since you left, been on the water for 3 of them. Monday had logo high ground swell, biggest I have ever been in, wind was light, so wave riding was challenging, but still a fun day. Keeping fingers crossed that the forecast will materialize for the next few days before we leave.
Simon

by Mike » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:55 am

Hardly feels like I was there for a week (too short I guess). Ask anyone that knows and they'll say wind this time of year if uncertain. GFS shows very good all round potential for the next few days so hopefully you end your trip on a high note.
Mike

by johnny2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:24 am

Mega Maui Monday was too big for mere mortals. 3.9m swell at 20 seconds. Complete closeouts from Hookipa to Kanaha. Kind of erie that no one was on the water on the north shore with all that swell except at Jaws where they were holding the 2018 Jaws Challenge competition. Quite a trek to get to the cliff (5 miles hike each way) in thick slippery mud but quite the experience when you get there with the thunderous roar of the crashing wave and standing there in the warm tropical rain watching these super humans surf 40'-50' faces and many of them taking a beating. I think we saw about 10 broken boards, snapped in half and 1 jet ski washed onto the rocks. Kai Lenny gave everyone a clinic on big wave tow in surfing. Man he makes it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrkDbrPTyY

The day after Mega Maui Monday was Pretty Darn Good Tuesday. 2.9m swell at 15 seconds translated to mostly logo high at Kanaha with the occasional over mast high sets. I was on 5.0/87L and had to steal Heather's 4.2/78L rig in the middle part of the day. The wind was forecast to be 15-18 knots on Windguru but it turned out to be 25 knots to 40 then back down to 18 or so late in the afternoon. Super fun with the good swell but 40 was a bit much for here.

Is it just me or is there a tendency for people to drop in on others here at Kanaha? It happened a few times where I had upwind position (but possibly less speed) dropping in but when I looked right to turn down the line, there was already someone there. What's the strategy here? Drop in earlier? I'm waiting for the last second before she throws. Any advice people?

There might be some scraps tomorrow so we'll see what it'll bring. Otherwise it'll be back to Plan A which is SUP surfing the south shore or Kanaha in the mornings. That's all for now.
Attachments
IMG_20181127_162922.jpg
IMG_20181127_162922.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 15565 times
IMG_20181127_162152.jpg
IMG_20181127_162152.jpg (978.98 KiB) Viewed 15565 times
IMG_20181126_135104.jpg
IMG_20181126_135104.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 15565 times
johnny2

by Ryan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks for the reports. Keep them coming, looking forward to some action shots on big waves.
Ryan

by AdrienGrelon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:17 am

Hey Johnny, glad to hear the conditions you're getting on Maui are marginally better than what we're getting here.

johnny2 wrote:Is it just me or is there a tendency for people to drop in on others here at Kanaha? It happened a few times where I had upwind position (but possibly less speed) dropping in but when I looked right to turn down the line, there was already someone there. What's the strategy here? Drop in earlier? I'm waiting for the last second before she throws. Any advice people?

Might be different on Maui, but at Centennial Beach Park, the logs that will inevitably destroy your slotboxes have right of way. If Alton Ing is going toeside, you pay your respects and get the f*#! out of his way. Other than that, the barrels are yours to cash in on. Just pull a Kelly and burn the guy next time (0:56):

Seriously though, sail/paddle till your hands bleed, cause there's not much to come back to:

AdrienGrelon

by Michael » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:43 am

johnny2 wrote:The day after Mega Maui Monday was Pretty Darn Good Tuesday. 2.9m swell at 15 seconds translated to mostly logo high at Kanaha with the occasional over mast high sets.
Awesome! So glad you guys scored, that place can be so much fun when it goes off. Thanks for the pictures too, I love it when you can see those walls of white water out at the reef.

johnny2 wrote:Is it just me or is there a tendency for people to drop in on others here at Kanaha?
:lol: :lol: No it's not just you, I thought the same thing! Once when I had a lesson out there I asked my instructor what the rules were and he laughed and said "There are no rules at Kanaha". I think the locals see it as a place where everyone comes to learn wave sailing and expect the rules to go out the window. He did say that anywhere else though the rules definitely apply. There is a guideline, it's basic but that keeps it simple. http://www.actionsportsmaui.com/sailsafe-windsurfing-guidelines/

johnny2 wrote:What's the strategy here? Drop in earlier? I'm waiting for the last second before she throws. Any advice people?
Go earlier, I used to wait as well, but as soon as you have enough power from the wave take off down the line, get a couple of turns before it throws then smack that lip Johnny like there's no tomorrow!! Or run away and snack the mashed potatoes as Wyatt Miller would say, :lol: I know easier said than done but that's the theory anyways. :D Have fun!! Hope there's some gopro action coming?
Michael

by johnny2 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am

Solid day 4.5/78L with head high waves at Lowers. Again windguru under reported the wind. 13-15 was actually 25-30 knots. Swell forecast was correct at 2.1m.

Michael's advice was spot on. Treat kanaha as the free-for-all that it is and just go for it and go early. It worked for me today. Tried to hit the lip but timed it late and hit whitewater and paid the price. Went down on the reef and took a few more on the head before I could get up and sail away.

Another decent wave I was focusing so hard on spotting my turns down the wave that I didn't look ahead. At the last second I spotted two guys in coming at me to charge the fat part of the wave that I was on to head out. I managed to break my rhythm to quickly sail between them to avoid collision but it was a close one.

No photos today because we were both having too much fun, nobody took a turn on the camera. Here's a pro pic from mast high Tuesday to better give an idea of what conditions were like.
Attachments
47126128_1832596476849230_2222049374089773056_o.jpg
47126128_1832596476849230_2222049374089773056_o.jpg (287.65 KiB) Viewed 15465 times
johnny2

by Faceplant » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:12 am

Big waves! Seems odd, in a place where consequences can be huge that the rules are not followed. I'm guessing you had priority on the wave and the guys heading out should have given you the wave?
The power of the ocean in Hawaii is intense! I can't imagine going down in the wave with gear. Have fun!
Faceplant

Next

Return to Windsurfing