Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Black Friday Foils

For sale, wanted and promotions

by tweegster » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Looking for my first foil. Want something easy to learn on and inexpensive.

Black Friday markdowns have begun, been doing lots of reading but without any real world experience, looking for thoughts.

Naish hover $399 USD
https://www.realwatersports.com/products/2017-naish-hover-foil-package
Tough to go wrong other than the long mast, basically a rebadged LF foil fish wings. It can use LF or Naish Short masts, but I have not been able to locate one.

Real also have the newer Naish thrust for 750USD, short mast already on it, plus their 90cm masts are relatively inexpensive to add later.

Slingshot nf2- Real $599USD and silent sports 750CDN, another well respected option. Also one on Craigslist for 780... would rather the H4 front wing, but easy to find cheap short masts for this option.

Cab double agent - silent sports - 699CDN.
tweegster

by tweegster » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:53 pm

One more option

North speedster, 321kiteboarding https://321kiteboarding.com/products/2018-north-kiteboarding-speedster-foil-combo?variant=47939384341

I hear the mk1 potato peeler was terrible, but this has mostly positive reviews, and a lighter option.
tweegster

by adam2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:55 pm

I can comment on the Naish Hover (same as the LF) and Slingshot.

I learned on the LF version of the Naish Hover, it was perfectly fine for learning. It required a ton of front foot pressure on the Rocket Fish board, but that had to do with LF's poor footstrap insert placement in relation to the wing IMO. If you went with one of these foil setups you could keep the mast and go with a newer LF fuselage and wing offerings down the road which look really nice. I threw a Stringy foil on my old orange mast and it was fantastic, I wish I still had it.

The Slingshot stuff is super heavy, I recently tried kiting my H2 wing used for windfoiling and found it was difficult just getting the board on its side, compared to the Naish/LF and that's with the shorter kite fuselage. I feel they build it so strong to withstand windfoiling. Some claim the weight helps with pumping, but I can't comment on that The nice thing about the Slingshot stuff is all the wing options for different riding styles and types of foiling (surf, kite, SUP, windsurf). While I haven't tried the NF2/H5 wing yet, given the choice based on our local conditions I'd take the H5 over the H4 offering, and would do the same if I was just starting out. Note, I still pretty much suck at foiling, so take this all for what it's worth.
adam2

by Slappy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 pm

I'm strictly a LW foiler, if it's 14 knots or higher I'd rather be on my surfboard. So not your typical foiler.

Mackite just reduced their NF2 setup to $499 USD, which is probably your best bet if you want to stay with Slingshot and just upgrade wings as you progress. I've only tried the H4 very briefly on a 40cm mast so I can't really say much about their foils.

Your best bet would have been buying my setup I just sold to Dan for $600. Unless you already have a board to put your foil on.

I just pulled the trigger on the NP Glide Surf L from Silent Sports for $1024 CAD all in (Silent Sports shipping prices suck!). Now the L is pretty huge and probably not suited for most people (I'm only 165 lbs) but I really prefer to go slow and carve waves when I foil. I'm also going to add on the M or S (or both!) wings in time. Another reason I wanted the L was for wakefoiling and dock pumping shenanigans. (I'm also planning on adding a 70 or 80cm mast too, not sure which yet though)

I'm a pretty big NP fanboy and I love versatile gear and this foil is both of those things. It's also one of the lightest ALU foils on the market. And it's a pretty good price IMO.

Silent Sports only has L and S left though, probably go with S unless you think you'd ever want the big wing.
Slappy

by tweegster » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks both for your well thought inputs. I am also more interested in a surfy foil to learn and progress on. Unfortunately the ignition switch and tumbler went on my TDI which put an unexpected $800 dent in the foil fund... grr. So long carbon fibre...

If anyone is looking to upgrade, PM me as I am also open to used.
tweegster

by spinmaster3000 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:14 am

Has anyone had any experience with the F-One IC-6 Foil vs. the Slingshot Hoverglide NF2 kite foils? I have store credit in HR and am considering one of the two. From previous comments, it seems like the NF2 is quite heavy. The F-One is currently $100 USD cheaper, but lacks the graduated mast system of Slingshot's Foil Academy (which is an extra cost, regardless). I'm sure either will do the job. I have never foiled, but just wonder if buying all the different mast lengths will be like buying a trainer kite...use it once and done.
spinmaster3000

by adam2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:02 pm

spinmaster3000 wrote:Has anyone had any experience with the F-One IC-6 Foil vs. the Slingshot Hoverglide NF2 kite foils? I have store credit in HR and am considering one of the two. From previous comments, it seems like the NF2 is quite heavy. The F-One is currently $100 USD cheaper, but lacks the graduated mast system of Slingshot's Foil Academy (which is an extra cost, regardless). I'm sure either will do the job. I have never foiled, but just wonder if buying all the different mast lengths will be like buying a trainer kite...use it once and done.

I didn't learn with short masts and I don't feel like I missed them. Given all the shallow riding locally though I have found it nice to have a 60cm mast to get going in waist deep water as opposed to chest deep with a full length mast. On a mid-tide it can make the difference of a couple hundred yards or more of additonal bodydragging to get to deep enough water at 3rd.
adam2

by spinmaster3000 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Thanks for your feedback, Adam. Sounds like it might make sense for me to start with a 65 cm mast then add a 90 cm later.

Can anyone provide any thoughts on F-One vs. Slingshot’s entry foils? I’m sure either one will do the job just fine.
spinmaster3000

by tweegster » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:33 pm

https://forcekiteandwake.com/collection ... -combo-900

North speedster is $620 now, that is a much nicer (looking) and lighter foil option.

Short masts are like 400 bucks though...

Anyone ride one?
tweegster

by spinmaster3000 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:50 pm

I know that Jay from Sea to Sky Kiteboarding had one...perhaps reach out to him?
spinmaster3000

Return to Buy and Sell