Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE thursday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by gabrielb » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:17 am

true.
I follow Saturna wind for surf (graph shown); 22-30 mph is marginal for surf, not enough.
Expect waist high surf for BB 1-3pm, less size before and after. If that coincides with the best bb wind ... I can't say.
gabrielb

by adam2 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Based on my years of riding Boundary Bay here's how to tell when to go at Third Ave:

1. The night before, check bigwavedave.ca -Forecasts -> Wind Prediction #1, see if it is forecasted to be windy.
2. If it calls for morning wind, get up early the next morning go to "LIVE WIND" on ikitesurf.com and check for SE wind on the Saturna Island (very useful) and Sand Heads sensors (less useful, but gives you a sense of the overall trend). Click the arrows to bring up the graphs. If the graphs look good go. You don't need an ikitesurf membership to do this. If the sun is up already check conditions on the camera at boundarybayweather.com. You want Easterly (onshore) to Southeasterly (side-on) winds for Third ave.
3. If it is windy, go. Don't screw around getting coffee, waiting for your favorite tide or for traffic. This is Boundary Bay, not La Ventana, winds rarely last long and if they do, they often clock offshore throughout the day they you're stuck driving to White Rock or the ferry terminal (meh) for a southwesterly session. Wind here is frontal, you have to get it as it passes through.

And lastly, for fall kiting take all your kites and boards, the kite you leave at home is most likely the kite you'll wish you had.
adam2

by Slappy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:42 pm

You left out the two most important tools IMO:

1) Check TAF
2) Check bbay airport sensor (slappywind)
Slappy

by mparkes » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:50 pm

adam2 wrote:And lastly, for fall kiting take all your kites and boards, the kite you leave at home is most likely the kite you'll wish you had.

Yup, so true, haha

drummermom wrote:I've never been anywhere but the spit. :-(
The big question I have is whether it is expecting to be crazy gusty or not.

It's storm kiting, it's always gusty. That's what makes it so good! You just need to time your boosts with the gusts!

Rock on! Stoked for these next few days, lets get some! been itching to get out there.
mparkes

by drummermom » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks for the info Michael, much appreciated.
I'm still at a bit of a loss as to exactly where I should go.
(avoid the obvious temptation ! :-)
Last time, someone told me to go fly a kite but I took them literally. :-)
Got an address for most convenient parking? I'm coming from the North Shore.
drummermom

by Slappy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Park politely near the corner of Centennial Parkway & 3rd Ave. Walk through the beach access at 3rd Ave.

If it's windy you'll see kites in the air as you drive up.
Slappy

by Michael » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:30 pm

drummermom wrote:Thanks for the info Michael, much appreciated.
I'm still at a bit of a loss as to exactly where I should go.
(avoid the obvious temptation ! :-)
Last time, someone told me to go fly a kite but I took them literally. :-)
Got an address for most convenient parking? I'm coming from the North Shore.

No problem. In addition to Slappy's directions there is a bunch of detailed info here on the sailing site info page, http://wtfbc.ca/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=896#p9800 , there are more sites listed just look to the right and scroll down. Like Slappy said, 3rd Ave is where all the kiters will be. Have fun!
Michael

by tweegster » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:35 pm

12 hours out and Page 2!

Don’t forget that locust is a viable (and often more reliable) option.

Especially if wind at 3rd is a bit too east or out in the straight.

I have warned work about the forecast and my possible absence.
tweegster

by Brian C » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Hey Michael, I am keeping my eye on tomorrow too. If you head to Centennial can you throw in the 5.2, in case I make it out too?
Thanks,
Brian
Brian C

by Michael » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Brian C wrote:Hey Michael, I am keeping my eye on tomorrow too. If you head to Centennial can you throw in the 5.2, in case I make it out too?
Thanks,
Brian

Done, lets hope we get some wind!
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR