Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Fixing De-laminated Valve

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Alton » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:26 pm

juandesooka wrote:Probably a dumb question, but just to be sure ... you are using the adhesive to glue valve bottom to the top of the tear aid ... then applying to bladder just by taking off tear aid backing and sticking on. Correct? (not putting more adhesive in between valve bottom and bladder too)

Correct. The polyurethane bladder has a coating of lubricant that makes adhesives challenging to stick. Rough up the bladder with fine sand paper before cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol. Tear Aid type A will stick to the bladder so use it as a interface layer between the bladder and the valve.

juandesooka wrote:Any idea if kitefix and 3M 5200 Fast Cure are indeed the same? I have kitefix already...don't have a westmarine handy, appears they have closed all Van Isle stores. Maybe a local boat shop will have it

Kitefix is not the same as 3M 5200 Fast Cure. I picked it up at a local mom & pop marine shop in North Vancouver instead of WestMarine so I'm certain you can find it locally on the island.
Alton

by juandesooka » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 am

most excellent

thanks alton
juandesooka

by juandesooka » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:07 pm

got any tips on removing the old valve? The one I have seems to have some parts that have come off already, but the rest of it is stuck quite aggressively. Last thing I want to do is make a huge tear in it trying to repair a small leak. :oops:

If it makes any difference, this is a strut and the valve has a solid plastic back, not the soft clear round one like in the video on page 1.

Suggestion?
juandesooka

by Patrick » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:51 pm

If you place it in warm water (not boiling) and gently tug. I saw this from a post on nwkiter when searching for some info on finding leaks. Good luck!
Patrick

by juandesooka » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks, will give it a try. I kind of wondered about a hair dryer....just enough heat to loosen it up maybe? Versus the paint remover heat gun...LOL.

There's probably a chemical that takes it right off, but always worry about solvents and plastics....one works fine, one melts it, who knows.
juandesooka

by Alton » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:54 am

juandesooka wrote:Thanks, will give it a try. I kind of wondered about a hair dryer....just enough heat to loosen it up maybe? Versus the paint remover heat gun...LOL.

There's probably a chemical that takes it right off, but always worry about solvents and plastics....one works fine, one melts it, who knows.

Hi John - any luck pulling off the valve?

Yesterday, my 7m valve started leaking again. I discovered more de-lamination but not completely. As I was cleaning the deliminated areas with isopropyl alcolhol the rest of the glue dissolved and the valve came off completely.

I finished the repair by gluing the back of Tear Aid (type A) to the valve flange using 3M 5200. After it cured overnight, I stuck the Tear Aid onto to the bladder.

delam_valve.jpg
delam_valve.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 14708 times

delam_valve_2.jpg
delam_valve_2.jpg (92.12 KiB) Viewed 14708 times
Alton

by Alton » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:49 am

Hi Michelle - this is how I repaired my leaky value
Alton

by nursee78 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Hey thanks, Alton! Much appreciated! I'll let you know how I make out :D :D
nursee78

Previous