Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Hydro Foil

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by jtorva » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:35 am

As some of you may know i am a machinist and work for a family business and have access to a CNC Mill and Lathe when ever i want. I recently taught myself a program called Fusion 360. This is a 3d modeling program that also allows me to program my CNC machines from the 3d models i create. I have been toying with the idea of machining my own hydrofoil for both surfing and windsurfing out of aluminum. I have started to figure out how to draw these complex shapes in Fusion 360. As i move forward with this idea i need a baseline for the design of a hydrofoil. For Example. Size, width, aspect ratio, surface area, and wing profile. I'd love to take a look at some existing foils to get a basic understanding of how they are designed and assembled. I'm also interested in input for design.

Jordan
Jordan
jtorva

by grantmac » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Aluminum would be a poor choice for wings and an acceptable but sub-optimum for the rest.

You could machine plywood cores for both mast and wings then finish with carbon for a cored rather than monolithic construction.

Slingshot has lots of info on their website now. NACA profile 632615 is a great bet for the wing. NACA 0008 for the mast.
grantmac

by Ryan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Sounds fun. Locarno sailing club at Jericho has a full Aluminium Starboard foil, the mast, fuselage and foils are aluminium, the foil works well, as well as I can sail it after one session. I read somewhere that Aluminium is meant to be better for light wind. Feel free to come to Jericho and take measurements or 3D scans, let me know, I'm often there.
Ryan

by telus022420 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:28 am

telus022420

by ezzylover » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Jordan

I sent you a linkedin message about that , 1,5 years ago....
ezzylover

by juandesooka » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:28 pm

My kite foil is a stringy (jim stringfellow) -- he makes them out of G10 with a CNC. They fly great, medium aspect, nice and carvey. I have made a couple wing sets myself with a belt sander. G10 is very hard and dense, requires a carbide cutter. Bonus is no fibreglassing and as bomb proof as it can be. Negative is the wings are dead flat, so not much room to play around with anhedral, dyhedral, etc. Call me cynical, but I believe a lot of the complex curvature in these wings is more about "wow" factor than it is about performance (unless you're a racer). Lots of examples online of people DIY'ing pretty simple wings with good performance.

http://www.jimstringfellow.com/Site/stringyfoil.html

Kiteforum hydrofoil: http://kiteforum.com/viewforum.php?f=196

SUP foil forums:
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Sta ... le/Foiling
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index ... ,88.0.html

Also search hydrofoil on facebook, bunch of groups
juandesooka

by jtorva » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks for all of the info guys. Done a lot of reading on different designs and approaches. This will probably be a little project for me in my spare time (which is very limited). I have been learning Fusion 360 and pushing my skills as a machinist and designer. I think a foil would be a fun project to challenge myself even more.

@ezzylover I haven't been able to do a foil because i didn't have the software to do it but now do.

Jordan
Jordan
jtorva

by dan.e » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am

If you go to seabreeze.com.au there is a post of a few guys that made they're own, one did it in CNC and looked pretty flash.

Good on you, good luck! Stay curious !
dan.e

Return to General