Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay - Centennial Time?

Windsurfing shop talk

by mjamero » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:33 am

There is a lot of south in the wind lately. I usually windsurf at Locarno but the forecast for English Bay has not been cooperating the last week. Are the conditions good to try Boundary Bay for the first time seeing as there is a lot of South right now? I've never sailed there but I keep meaning to give it a go. I live in Richmond so it's close. I'm looking to "ease" in to Boundary Bay for a couple sessions at first.
mjamero

by Michael » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 am

The wind looks light today but if you have big gear it might work. I always check the webcam and tide table before heading down. The tide is good today until around 11 AM. It's worth checking out if you have the time.
Michael

by Slappy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 am

I would use a weed fin.
Slappy

by mjamero » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 am

For Centennial, what tide height would you say is the MINIMUM before you risk hitting your fin and/or the walk becomes too far?

I've been through the Boundary Bay guide; useful. The only thing that has prevented me from going to Centennial already is I'm not sure about the minimum tide heights for windsurfing.

I have small and big gear. 3.6 up to 7.5. 94 Kode and 114 Futura. I usually sail the 7.5 and 114l. I have a weed fin for the Kode and I think I have one for the Futura. Would weed fins be needed this early? Are the weeds that bad? I've never sailed where weeds can be an issue so don't know what to expect with the weeds.

It would be good to get a couple early Centennial sessions under my belt so that when the fall sailing comes I'm comfortable (more or less) with the venue.

Thanks for the tips.
mjamero

by Slappy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:42 am

I haven't been to bbay since the start of the summer this year so I can't say for certain what the weeds are like right now.

They way they traditionally work though is they build all summer and at low tide they are a major issue. They are still attached to the bottom so once the tide comes in they aren't a huge deal yet.

Then the fall storms hit and knock them all free and they form floating islands on the surface.
Slappy

by Michael » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:26 pm

mjamero wrote:For Centennial, what tide height would you say is the MINIMUM before you risk hitting your fin and/or the walk becomes too far?
3 M which is what it was at 11 am today, the tides charts are estimates though so it's not always the same.
Dave has detailed tide info on his sailing site info page it's just far down the page. Fins range in size so take your board down there and check it out. It's worth the drive even if you don't sail. If you have a SUP take that and paddle around if there is no wind.
Michael

by mjamero » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:11 pm

3.0 to maybe 2.5m minimum to windsurf at Centennial comfortably. Perfect. Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the tides and wind. When they line up together then it's time.

What is the best spot for monitoring the BB tide forecast?

White Rock?
https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations ... des/latest

or Tsawwassen?
https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations ... des/latest

or other...?
mjamero

by Michael » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:41 pm

mjamero wrote:or other...?
Look on the right hand side of this website under Weather Tools about half way down...Tide Tables.. Boundary Bay.

http://www.tides.gc.ca/eng/station?sid=7590
Michael

by Slappy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:55 pm

Personally I use WR tides, I think the bathymetry is much more relevant since it's also on the inside of the point.
Slappy

by Slappy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:51 am

Got out for a sunset foil session at bbay tonight. A bunch of weeds floating near shore but weed free out past that.

One guy on 15.5m and SB barely holding ground. Another guy way down wind at Centennial.

I took 17m and foil but I wish I’d taken the 12m. iKite was reading 8 knots but it was more like 12-13 knots on the water.

Slappy

Next

Return to Windsurfing