Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

NW Friday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Roxstock » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:34 am

Could it be a repeat of last week? I hope so....
Attachments
928A61CF-A091-4F5E-BA4B-A87B9D2FB077.png
928A61CF-A091-4F5E-BA4B-A87B9D2FB077.png (248.09 KiB) Viewed 12333 times
Roxstock

by fuji » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:24 am

Jericho is already starting to look pretty good! Let's hope it keeps building!
Attachments
js20180713.png
js20180713.png (83.49 KiB) Viewed 12313 times
fuji

by Roxstock » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:53 am

It's been holding pretty solid at the airport for a few hours now. Right now its 18g23.
Roxstock

by ShonanDB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:54 am

Dawn patrol at Garry Point Park in Steveston. Checked Sandheads sensor at 4:30 AM and it was gusting over 30 knots. Arrived before 6am and rigged 4.7 and took out the 73L. A little too light for the first 100m for comfort so switched to the 101L FSW. Well powered for the first hour to becoming a handful in the gusts at times. Water state went from knee high waves and rollers at high tide to thigh to waist high as the tide dropped and the wind increased. A little more North in the wind today which created a little bit of a wind shadow for the first 100m or so and you could point almost West on the way across at times. Switched back to the 73L as the 101L was bouncing around too much. Great for jumping and hitting lips on starboard and fun backside riding on port. When the waves increased you could cut back up and hit lips on Port side as well. A few nice smoothies with double spacing in the centre at the end to link a few turns on but you had to look for them. A couple large boats/ships came through early but then I had the river to myself after that. Came off the water just after 8am as I had to get back and do some work but wished I could have stayed until 9 as the waves were getting nice as the tide dropped. Looks like NW for the next few days but today was forecast to be the strongest. May head back tomorrow and Sun depending on how the forecast pans out. Wore my 4/3 but could have just used my shorty.
Great way to start the morning and it was light and sailable by 5am. Gotta love summer when it's windy enough to sail in the City!
ShonanDB

by gabrielb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Darrell, gopro your sessions, maybe Slappy could join you, as it takes experience in that river (steep tide too) and pretty sure no new windsurfers are joining you.

We tried WB as usual, 5 of us. Still 0.9mHB at 11am, but ballenas/sisters are now tanking, so it will not last. Aside is a no go because the bridge is closed :shock:

gabrielb

by Chuck » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:06 pm

[quote="ShonanDB"]Dawn patrol at Garry Point Park in Steveston. /quote]
Nice score! Have always meant to check it out, that spot is right in my backyard. Did you rig in the park parking lot or at the dirt lot closer to the concession? Also curious which point you launched from, whether you hula’d out from behind the Fisherman memorial or launched further west!

:D :D :D

Had three hours up at Acadia, started out 9m/surfboard but wound up 14m/TT as the wind dropped around 1pm. Super low tide for quite the hike out, even from the Point. Great day on the water, third this week! Love the local sessions
Chuck

by ShonanDB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm

[quote="Chuck"][quote="ShonanDB"]Dawn patrol at Garry Point Park in Steveston. /quote]
Nice score! Have always meant to check it out, that spot is right in my backyard. Did you rig in the park parking lot or at the dirt lot closer to the concession? Also curious which point you launched from, whether you hula’d out from behind the Fisherman memorial or launched further west!

Good to hear you got out Chuck. I was wondering how Acadia was today as the Jericho sensor looked decent.
At Garry Point Park I rig on the grass in the main parking lot and walk my gear about 100m West to the 2nd half moon bay and launch there. It's right next to (East of) the new dock they built last year for the visiting Japanese Tall Ship. Usually the wind touches down right from shore but today seemed a little more North so some hula was necessary first thing but it was better the second hour. It's mini Gorge like conditions with the wind blowing up river producing rolling swell and steep faces. Best conditions are on an ebbing tide as the river current really picks up and the waves jack up but it can be a little unnerving passing through the transition zone, kind of like entering the jet stream in a hot air balloon. Sailed there one 30 knot day but it was mid tide so the river was flowing but not raging. Saw a few head high faces that day and have heard from a few guys who used to sail there years ago that it can get bigger on a steep dropping tide and 30 knots of wind. There is boat and ship traffic and like the Gorge, you can smell them coming from up wind but you have to watch downwind and keep an eye out for small boats coming out of the Marina there. C36 has sailed there with me a number of times and can give you more info. I find that it tends to be a few knots windier than anywhere else on a NW and lasts longer. It's the same 100m walk regardless of the tide level, grass to rig on, and heated bathrooms and a concession stand if you time it right. They don't lock the gate so easy access for dawn patrol sessions but hard to find parking in the summer between 10am and 4pm on weekends. Sailed there a few times last year and the year before with a Kiter who comes to visit family in the summers from the Middle East. There is a lot going on there compared to other local launches so you want to have your shit together as things can go south real fast and you'll end up out in the strait or pinned up against a piling somewhere.
ShonanDB

by Chuck » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Great intel, Daryl! Thanks!

We should have an old-school windsurf expression session there next time it blows! Body drags, head dips, Duck gybes and general kooking out! Bonus points for oldest gear sailed!

Get Tony and Alton to have a wrasslin’ match to settle their old beefs, have a board toss and get some Ultronz pumping for tunes!

I’m liking these ideas.....
Chuck

by LeopardSkin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Chuck wrote:Get Tony and Alton to have a wrasslin’ match to settle their old beefs, have a board toss and get some Ultronz pumping for tunes!

I sailed at Garry Point Park about 2 years ago. I found it very choppy with a very short period! I wonder if this is typical?

PS How can anyone have a beef with a guy who dresses like this?

LeopardSkin

by Slappy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:07 am

Great day up at Acadia, especially early.

Slappy

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR