Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Hood river this weekend

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Roxstock » Wed May 30, 2018 6:18 pm

I’m considering a trip to hood river this weekend but have never been before. Any experts on here who know how to read the forecasts/thermals for there and any tips on good camp sites for tents and vans?

Cheers
Roxstock

by 8mdude » Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Roxstock wrote:I’m considering a trip to hood river this weekend but have never been before. Any experts on here who know how to read the forecasts/thermals for there and any tips on good camp sites for tents and vans?

Cheers

Really good wind forecaster: https://thegorgeismygym.com/forecast/
8mdude

by Slappy » Wed May 30, 2018 10:12 pm

The nice thing about the Gorge is that as you go East at some point the weather will warm up. So it might not be windy at the Event Site if it's cloudy there but if you drive to Lyle, Rowena, Rufus, or Roosevelt you can almost always find wind.
Slappy

by LeopardSkin » Wed May 30, 2018 10:22 pm

The Gorge Song:

LeopardSkin

by ezzylover » Thu May 31, 2018 8:07 am

Are you kiter or windsurfer ?
that could make a big difference because of the water level conditions.
when water is at normal level, there is a big sandbar for kiters which makes it very easy and friendly. As off now the sand bar is submerged and kiters have been relocated near or at the event site.
the current lately is also real bad and around 8 knots.
if you are a windsurfer it is kind of manageable but you have to be quick on your waterstarts.
Since it would be your first time, I suggest you delay your trip a little you might be disappointed. wait until the water conditions are better , maybe July ?
Tucker park is a good place to stay at if camping , 15 mn drive from HR quiet no trains.
there are also so affordable airbnb solutions around there, if just for a weekend.
good luck
ezzylover

by Roxstock » Thu May 31, 2018 8:29 am

ezzylover wrote:Are you kiter or windsurfer ?
that could make a big difference because of the water level conditions.
when water is at normal level, there is a big sandbar for kiters which makes it very easy and friendly. As off now the sand bar is submerged and kiters have been relocated near or at the event site.
the current lately is also real bad and around 8 knots.
if you are a windsurfer it is kind of manageable but you have to be quick on your waterstarts.
Since it would be your first time, I suggest you delay your trip a little you might be disappointed. wait until the water conditions are better , maybe July ?
Tucker park is a good place to stay at if camping , 15 mn drive from HR quiet no trains.
there are also so affordable airbnb solutions around there, if just for a weekend.
good luck

Unfortunately this is the only weekend I can go with a baby on the way this is my last chance before I'm restricted to the lower mainland by my wife. I was hoping to go to Nitinat but the forecast looks bad so Hood river was the next option. I will be sleeping in my van with friends who will be tenting, Tucker park sounds good, that has also been recommended to me before. Hopefully the water level isn't too much of an issue.
Roxstock

by LeopardSkin » Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 am

Sewage leak has been reported. I think The Dalles. Since you are a newish dad, you are probably accustomed to messy poo.
LeopardSkin

by adam2 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 am

Don't worry about the water level. I was kiting there a couple weeks ago and even with no sandbar, the Event Site launch is fine. It may get a bit crowded on a weekend, but it's mainly very experienced kiters launching from it. A couple reaches and you'll be in wide open river. You'll have no problem. I recommend you get out there and do a big upwinder to the other side of Wells Island and Swell City, it's so worth it! The current is your friend, it helps you get up to the fun spots on the river.
adam2

by AlexK » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Super dirty water. Full of pollution from all the stuff being dumped into it. Shit, heavy metals, radioactive crap. Stopped going there due to this...
Super unfortunate for such a beautiful site.
Vancouver island coast still pristine so go there if you are a dad with kid(s).
Good luck.
AlexK

by telus022420 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:20 am

Current Wind info. You may select and bookmark individual site along the Gorge Corridor.
Waterfront
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?D=KORHOODR8

Sailing Cost:
HR Bridge toll $2 one way.
Event site and Sail Park West
Daily Pass – Regular Length Vehicle – $8.00
Daily Pass – Over-Length Vehicle – $20
Regular Length Annual Pass – Preseason Discount – $75
Regular Length Annual Pass – $100
Over-Length Annual Pass – Preseason Discount – $140
Over-Length Annual Pass – $200

Washington State Park Fees:Annual Pass $30 Day Fee $10