Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Expert advice needed

Windsurfing shop talk

by Pavel » Tue May 29, 2018 7:51 pm

I just purchased a 5.7 Severne Blade (2009). Luff is 438cm.
Which mast should I use?
1. 430 Chinook epoxy fibreglass (Recommend size, but heavy) came with the sail.
2. 400 Powerex 40% carbon (lightest, but the extention will be set near maximum, 38/45) it’s about 15 years old, more likely to snap?
3. Powerex 460 75% Carbon. ( light, but will require the head strap to be extended, which some people say is not recommended)

Thanks,

Pavel
Pavel

by arg » Tue May 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Congrats on finding a sail. Hope you like it.

You can extend the luft sleeve at the top of the sail and be okay, sail won't respond as well as designed, but it'll work.

Use the recommended mast length. Check out the sails online at Sailworks (or any other manufacturer for that matter), and the ideal mast is defined, and alternates are also listed. If you are not racing, who cares.

Regarding the mast base maximum extension, unless the extension has been chopped with a hacksaw, most will have approximately 18 cm still inserted into the mast base at full extension. Don't mess with a shorter piece of the extension inserted into the mast base, you will get premature failure of either the mast or the extension, or both.

As for safety, depends. If for example, you were at a Lake and wearing a wet suit that would allow you to remain comfortable during an hour or so slog swim into shore after something breaks, then use whatever. (It takes a long time to swim across Nitnat Lake even without dragging broken gear back, add hours if you are dragging gear back.)

If you are anywhere where there is current, the consequences of an equipment failure due to max'ing out the range of the gear is 'Darwin Award Territory' ! Don't.

Oh, and rescue services are only good if they can see you. (Ahem, humble pie for me, I have first hand experience in that one.)

And carbon extensions, especially the skinny ones, can and do break in surf. Lots of reports of that happening on the South Oregon Coast. They're fine everywhere that is not surf.
arg

by Pavel » Tue May 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks Arg,

So given the choices above, which is the best option? I have the three mast already, just not sure which to choose.
Pavel

by grantmac » Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Start with the 400
grantmac

by Mike » Wed May 30, 2018 6:43 am

Hi Pavel,

I don't sail Severne but did find this below:

http://pdf.nauticexpo.com/pdf/severne-s ... 14883.html

I realize your question is which of your masts do you use. I'll be brutal by saying I suspect all are very poor choices.

However, one may get you going, so if you're sticking with them, try so see what you like best.

I suggest if you're in it for the long term, do some research and keep an eye out for a proper mast. If you only sail a few times a year, then perhaps stick with what you have. If you plan for more, you may wonder down the road why you didn't improve your mast sooner.

My $100 3.7 was used only a few times a year so I used my 100% carbon 400. It worked but I started to strongly prefer my 4.5 (with the ideal 400 mast) even when well overpowered. Finally I got a 60% carbon powerex (cheap even new, probably near unbreakable). Total transformation for the 3.7. Significantly improved range and feel.

In my view, here is your priority:

1. Get the correct length and bend curve. The Severne brochure says 430. It does not state 400 or 460 as an alternative. It doesn't seem to specific RDM or SDM so you'd best look this up. You don't necessarily need to have a Severne mast. However, if you go another brand you need to confirm the bend curve. For example, I would think powerex or chinook may have an option, but I'd say confirm with them first

2. Carbon content. This matters little unless you get #1 correct. More the better but you can be very happy with less than 100% if you have #1 right. Mind you I've never heard of anyone today using an epoxy mast so I really can't say on this.

TMI? Either way, good luck!
Mike

by Pavel » Wed May 30, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks Mike.
This is very helpful.

Pavel
Pavel

by LeopardSkin » Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 am

Mike wrote:Finally I got a 60% carbon powerex (cheap even new, probably near unbreakable). Total transformation for the 3.7. Significantly improved range and feel.

Mike: the mast for the 3.7 is a 370, the recommended length?
LeopardSkin

by Mike » Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 am

LeopardSkin wrote:
Mike wrote:Finally I got a 60% carbon powerex (cheap even new, probably near unbreakable). Total transformation for the 3.7. Significantly improved range and feel.

Mike: the mast for the 3.7 is a 370, the recommended length?

Good point to clarify Tony. I got the powerex 370 60% mast for my 3.7. The rec mast was actually an odd 380 (North). So yes, I contradict myself a bit but try to find a 380 North. North now goes 370 like everyone else I(no more 380). The 370 powerex 60% mast works MILES better than the 100% north 400 on my 3.7.
Mike

by grantmac » Wed May 30, 2018 10:43 am

Severne pre-2014 are stiff top sails. Powerex are CC, Chinook are CC to slightly flex. Neither a great choice.

I'd boost the 400 up there and see if the battens will rotate at all.

I resisted the concept for a while but it's worth picking a mast curve and getting RDMS. Uses is fine unless it's getting shipped from Maui, but from a Gorge swap no problem.
grantmac

by Brian C » Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 am

I agree with Mike’s comments. I use sails that need the same masts as your “new” Severne.

Until the last couple of years, Severe, Naish , Maui Sails, and Gaastra all used stiffer-tip masts than the “standard” constant curve masts that are now prevalent. If you look for a used mast, I find their masts are pretty much nterchangeable.
The worst match with these sails are the softer-than-standard masts such as Sailworks and Ezzy. I switched from an Sailworks 370 to a Naish for my 4.0 Maui Legend sail and it worked MUCH better.
Until you find the right mast, I suggest you try the 430 and the 460 but not the too-short 400. The short mast will exaggerate the soft-tip problem.
Brian C

Next

Return to Windsurfing