Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by Slappy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Google maps lists http://www.americansunsetrv.com/ right in Westport, still a 5 min drive to the Jetty though.

It’s all here at American Sunset RV and Tent Resort, situated near the South Beach, at Westport, Washington. American Sunset offers “Simply The Best” in year ’round facilities, recreation, and relaxation. Our convenient Westport location places you at the Coast’s doorstep while offering resort amenities to our guests.
Slappy

by mtb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:05 am

thanks guys. yeah reading that the main thing is to be mindful of rips. likely camping at twin harbour state park.

hoping sunday morn holds out, if so, should be worth it!

wpf.jpg
wpf.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 11591 times
mtb

by C36 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:36 pm

SUP – Long Beach (2018 April 21)

Random, gentle giants at LB. Bigger than it looked from the beach. Fairly easy to get out up at Tinnies, but tougher south of Incinerator Rock. Wind and roll too. You had to muster up courage and hook-up with the bombs to get something steep enough to ride. Clean and gentle on the outside, lots of whitewater on the inside. Only a handful of rides for me. Others caught more. BWD/DavidM/pink panther/myself mixed reviews, but Udder was all smiles! Tsawwassen would have enjoyed this session. Two pro short board surfers showed up and had the place to themselves for the evening glass off. Dinner at the Float House.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Sildeshow

SUP – Long Beach (2018 April 22 - morning)

Wildlife. Returned to Long Beach after surf checks at Flo and Wick. Slightly smaller, easier to catch and more fun (but missed the slightly-frightening-sized bombs from yesterday). Caught sight of ‘something big passing below, that looked like a shark’ (tail shaped like a “V”) – turned out to be a seal, later in the day there was a sea lion and flock of birds migrating north. There was breeze again, but it was flatter (less roll). Caught one long open right that had me wondering if it was going to be my ‘Green Point moment’. The inside sandbar made getting out nasty at times.

Sildeshow

SUP – Long Beach (2018 April 22 - afternoon)

Glass off? The breeze hung around almost until dark – no glass off today. It looked like there was a lot of white water but it seemed to settle and clean up just after we took to the water. Third session with similar, but slightly smaller waves. Ryan and Lise both said they had frustrating SUP sessions, but others had fun (BWD, Udder and myself). The inside sandbar was mean spirited again. BWD rode a wave with a second life all the way into the sand and Udder came close to loosing his paddle in a foot of water. Udder pressed his new portable hot shower into action and it seemed like that was the best part of his day. Dinner at Growlers. Company in the ‘long spur’ (had to park off to the side). I accidently set off the van’s alarm – not too neighbourly.

Sildeshow

SUP – Cox Bay (2018 April 24)

Laundry day. Cooked French Toast for the crew at the morning look-see at Wick (glassy, but not much on offer in the cove or middle and those with size further down looked hard to catch). Then stopped for a look-see at Long Beach (small) on the way to Cox Bay. First day in my summer suit (5/4 sans hood). First paddle out was easy then the inside sand bar turned mean here too on the dropping tide (2 m to 1.3 m). Mixed bag of swell size, some hard to catch fat waves, some overhead, some fun times, and some energy sucking battles to paddle back out (if you kicked out too late or timed it wrong). Nice to mix it up a little and get a session in at Cox. Got to try out Jake’s advice (looker’s left of the Maltby path for surfer’s lefts) – it seemed to work today.

Sildeshow
Last edited by C36 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
C36

by ShonanDB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 pm

Looks like another great trip Dave!
ShonanDB

by shadymorels » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:27 pm

I've gotten more travel time in the barrel at Half Moon Bay than any other spot I've surfed! But then again, maybe I just lucked out on the day! Definitely a board breaking wave, but a quick, but intense, paddle out!

The long jetty spot is called The Corner. It can also get very good.

Groins get super punchy, as the tide comes up it can get pretty gnarly and very dangerous to get out.

Last but not least, is the Knotty Pine. I won't say more, you just need to experience it for yourself :D :D :D

I was actually planning on going to Wesport last weekend, but missed it due to truck troubles. Hope you scored!
shadymorels

by gabrielb » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:50 am

C36, great photos from Tofino. Your wave count is close to George's. SUPers there are excellent, grabbing everything with ease.

Tom, nothing locally, last time we got 1mHB NW was a few months ago. PR had 5 good days so far. Westport/Seaside are the only choices ($200 ferry ride does not compute for 2 surf days)... WhatsApp Keelan will get you in as he is in town now (pm him, Keeldude, as he needs emails to add, as phone #'s, he said, could not add). Forecast is so mild, not worth the hassle, just look at forecast, it's simpler.

Today 0.5mHB, tomorrow 0.7mHB at Wb@6am, but tide at 13ft = no break.

Local surf is always changing year after year ... in 2011 Aside had sand (lots) and every 4 weeks you had days like these... none in 2017
asideff.JPG
asideff.JPG (47.3 KiB) Viewed 11363 times

It's getting harder. Hawaii weather has shifted as well. we'll adapt (local wave count for the last 10 years is high, I can't complain).
gabrielb

by C36 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Some GoPro shots from SUP session at Long Beach on May 12 with Tsawwassen (thanks for loaning the camera). Some fun shots I think (even though the waves look way smaller with the ‘GoPro goggles’ on).

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Adrian L » Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Nice shots Dave! Good looking fog bank on the outside; nitinat must of been firing ...
Adrian L

by gabrielb » Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am

Long beach looking nice... we tried some small surf at WB with Keelan, last weekend. He asked: "why is the water is so brown?" , beggars can't be choosers.
gabrielb

by Slappy » Thu May 17, 2018 10:22 am

It's because the Fraser is flowing at 11,000 cubic m/s, flooding homes in Langley.

That brown water is making it all the way around in to Jericho and all the way over across Galiano Island.
Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing