different downhaul

Windsurfing shop talk

by LeopardSkin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:54 am

LeopardSkin

by grantmac » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:19 am

That's bloody neat, but damn 300 Euros
grantmac

by mjamero » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:44 am

Interesting. Usually you set your extension first and adjust sail tension by adjusting the downhaul. With this you set our downhaul first and adjust sail tension by adjusting the extension.

Seems it would be only useful for racers who like to keep the gap between sail and board as small as possible at all times. Looks like its heavy though. Perhaps too heavy for race windsurfers.

I can't see wave or freestylers needing this.

A cool idea but a product aimed for very specific niche.

300 Euro for a windsurf extension is steep. However, if you look at it from a sailing angle its not surprising. Sailing gear like blocks, pulleys, capstans, etc are $$$$$ even for the simplest thing.
mjamero

by grantmac » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:55 am

Everyone except racers and casual sailors are using RDM now. I don't see this mechanism working in that diameter.

On the other hand RDM seems well suited to 3, 4 and 5 piece masts so hopefully the gear will be getting more compact in the near future.
grantmac

by LeopardSkin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:34 pm

The manufacturer says SDM will be initially offered. Skinny later.

It looks easier and faster than the current systems.
LeopardSkin

by Adrian L » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:03 pm

That is kinda cool. But why spend $300 ( euro's)? on just a fancy extension when you could probably find a complete retro rig on craigslist for around $350 canadian...
sorry... :roll:
Adrian L

by grantmac » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Not everyone is tie-on boom cool...

Back on topic: any tuning with this will change the boom height and kind of opposite to what you'd want (more dh=higher). But it will be rather subtle of course.
grantmac

by C36 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:58 am

Interesting concept but a couple of thoughts:
  • Great if you trim by eye (by the look of the sail), but not so great if you trim by length. The four batten wave sails I use have a wide trim range from 'light' to 'medium' downhaul, but they only take a very small amount of additional downhaul from 'medium' to 'heavy' so I go by measure not by sight with these sails.
  • Would be even better if you could adjust it while sailing. We used run adjustable downhauls when course racing open funboards back in the day. We rigged a second inhaul line on a cup just below the boom that carried a second set of pulleys that gave you a 5:1 adjustable purchase on the end of your downhaul (so you could adjust with one hand while sailing). This allowed you to adjust the sail in combination with the adjustable outhaul system while sailing - flatten the sail upwind and bag the sail out downwind. It gave you a lot of range on a 7.5 m sail!
C36

Return to Windsurfing