Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

windsurfing vacation - spring break or July/Aug

Windsurfing shop talk

by shmish » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Looking ahead for the next year or three I hope to finally have a windsurfing vacation, something that I've wanted to do for a very long time. I'd like to maximize TOWW (time on warm water) and have enough flat water so that I can perfect my jibes. I used to go to Hood River when I was younger and usually ended up at the Hatchery. Another trip I did was Adicora in Venezuela. The closest I've had to high wind and flat water has been Squamish...

Bonaire in spring looks good but I think the flight would be a pain. Maui? It would be good for my wife, but I really want to be able to nail my jibes 90% of the time before hitting waves. Maybe Kihei is the answer to all of this, but I'd like to hear people's opinions.
shmish

by Slappy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:10 pm

El Medano, Tenerife. It's probably not the perfect spot for you but it might work. It's the most windsurfing oriented place I've ever been in my life, loads of options for renting gear. There is a specific area for WS only that is pretty calm and the waves aren't a big deal (it's not flat water though). Multiple wave options.

This is the best wave area:

And this will give you an idea of the conditions on the calmer beginner WS area and the other wave option:

Food is fantastic and prices are reasonable.

Direct flights aren't an option but if you spend 1-3 days in London (or take an 18 hour layover) you can get there for about $1200. I booked it as 3 separate flights for the best deal.

If you choose July/Aug you could consider Nitinat. Again not really flat water but not real waves (no actual wave options at all though). But the WS scene is very strong there.
Slappy

by mjamero » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Check out Tobago. Radical Sports at Pigeon Point are awesome. Flights are cheaper and easier than Bonaire. Clinicians like Jem Hall and Peter Hart regularly go there. Shallow and generally flat water. Excellent for learning gybes and waterstarts. If you time it right you can go to Trinidad for the Carnaval AND Tobago to windsurf. That's what my wife and I did.

http://www.radicalsportstobago.com/

Tobago was my first windsurfing trip and it was a blast. I just got back from La Ventana Mexico and honestly I much prefer Tobago. A least for my level anyway. I too am working on gybes and La Ventana as far as gybes go was a write-off. Tobago is much better suited for this. If you are considering Bonaire but can't do it logistially then Tobago or Aruba are the logical runners up.

Here's me sailing in Tobago. My one and so far only windsurfing video so I've got to milk it as much as I can :D. Better speed near the end of the videol

This is Peter Hart's clinic that was happening the same time we were there.

I think Jem Hall filmed the beginning of his Beginner To Winner DVD here is well.
mjamero

by morrison » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:49 am

Resized_key_west_jibe_7618.jpeg
Resized_key_west_jibe_7618.jpeg (176.63 KiB) Viewed 9585 times
shmish wrote:Looking ahead for the next year or three I hope to finally have a windsurfing vacation, something that I've wanted to do for a very long time. I'd like to maximize TOWW (time on warm water) and have enough flat water so that I can perfect my jibes. Maui? It would be good for my wife, but I really want to be able to nail my jibes 90% of the time before hitting waves. Maybe Kihei is the answer to all of this, but I'd like to hear people's opinions.

If you go in the summer the wind is best and waves are smaller as opposed to winter on Maui.
Spring break for University the Florida keys are good for steady wind and good flat water for jybe work. Hav'nt been in 26 years though.
Picture is from Boyds campground Key West. The water averaged waist to chest deep depending on tide and was warm.
morrison

by Pavel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 am

Check out this website:
https://www.planetwindsurfholidays.com/

They give you detailed info about windsurf holiday centres all over the world; conditions, when and where to sail, skill level required, best time of the year to go, etc.

It’s a UK website, but you don’t have to book through them, just contact the centre directly.

Cheers,
Pavel
Pavel

by Jennifer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:31 pm

I would recommend Bonaire! It is totally worth the flight. It is a perfect spot to work on gybes. The water is warm, flat and shallow - so super easy to crash again and again until you can gybe. Also probably the best place if your wife wanted to try windsurfing, in terms of learning its the perfect set up for all levels. A friendly windsurfing crowd there too!
Jennifer

Return to Windsurfing