Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by C36 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:03 am

LV6: SUP – La Ventana (Mar 27)

One. Just enough roll to the water to draw me out for a solo dawn paddle. Caught a few pretend waves at Kenny`s and then one real one at the north end of the Campground (shallow water and rock bottom was a little dicey).

gallery (better for mobile devices)
slideshow
C36

by C36 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:30 am

LV9: SUP – Mushrooms (Mar 28)

Wedge-like. Awoke to wind swell larger than yesterday due to night breeze. Almost looked workable at Kenny`s. Arrived at Windsports Ventana to find the `garage` door closed, but luckily Kenny showed up with a big smile and opened – opened sesame! Kenny thought Mushrooms would be a better options (sets up about 30 times a year but Kenny`s needs more size so only sets up about three times a year according to Kenny – make me feel luck to score it last year). Caught one ride at Kenny’s (shown in the picture), then paddled down in the offshore wind to Mushrooms (not shown) to find the swell getting concentrated over the reef into a peaked wedge-like round forgiving wave that could be ridden in either direction, although left were favoured. A little tricky, but really fun for what it was! Started solo, then joined by one other SUP who arrived by ATV, the a family (SUP, surf, boggie board and more). The thermal in the distance was my signal to start paddling back into the building headwind.

LV11: surf – Old Man`s (Mar 28)

Arrived at the Cabo Surf Hotel (a bit of a splurge) to find hints of the melting south swell. Scrambled to check-in and grab their ‘secret’ wave SUP, but it proved a little too small for me in the breeze and slight roll. Plan B – mid-size long board. Suprized myself and actually caught a mid-sized clean right and got a few gentle turns (after I self-corrected for the narrow width) and rode all the way to the beach. That was fun, so tried for more but all the rest to too small and round for my skill set. Cali-girl was moping up and making it look easy.

C36

by C36 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:16 pm

LV12: surf – Old Man`s (Mar 29)

Party wave (old school long board style). Day started with another sunrise and the prospect that the south swell might have melted away during the night. But we got lucky and the background swell built. Patience was required, but there were rides to be had! Ethan and I scored a party wave (both on old school long boards). Then things got even better - a guy from SoCal had a 9’6” x 30” SUP that he found was too small for him and said I could use it! WooHoo! That was fun! Best part of the day was watching how Ethan progressed in a couple of sessions here - from shying away from the peak to being first on it and dropping in for clean rights, paddling out the channel, and repeating! Proud parent moment and a great way to end the trip!

slideshow

Twelve sessions in eight days made for a great trip! Very thankful for the south swell in Cabo upon arrival and departure and the five days of wind in La Ventana in the middle. Special thanks to JoBlo for the loan of the golf bag; our hosts Phil and Emily (and their family) at Casa Verde; Phil`s parents for finding Ethan`s kiteboard; and the good folks at Elevation, Marisol Boutique Hotel, Cabo Surf Hotel, and all the places we ate! Muchas gracias!
C36

by gabrielb » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:05 pm

sat.JPG
sat.JPG (42.38 KiB) Viewed 15792 times

Got into the water at Jetty, PR at 515pm. Started waist high, then chest high sets. Two longboarders joined at 6pm. By 6:20 they were head high at the first marker. Got 5+ head high slabs, used the jetty at 645 as the wind was reaching 25+knots easily. Left by 715pm as too windy, and let's face it, I am out of shape ... painfully getting there.

Longboarders may want to join WhatsApp (van surf addicts?), more session in the near future Tues, Wed, Sat ... ;)
gabrielb

by ola_v » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Hey Gabriel -

Was great to meet you and thanks for pointing me towards the jetty. After you left I headed over there and got a couple of fun ones. Walking up there with the big board in the wind wasn't fun but walking back was easy :) Would love to join the whatsapp group. Thanks!
ola_v

by gabrielb » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:31 am

Yes it is .... VanCity Surf Addicts . Thats whatsapp. We go back and forth, for quick osrs.
We may need more surfers....
Yesterday,D’s photo
FA6C351C-8DB2-46F5-8863-52162D722D3C.jpeg
FA6C351C-8DB2-46F5-8863-52162D722D3C.jpeg (97 KiB) Viewed 15743 times
gabrielb

by ola_v » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:56 am

seemed like no dawn patrol yesterday. will it turn on early enough for a pre-work session tomorrow?
ola_v

by gabrielb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 pm

yes . there was surf yesterday. almost coastal/tofino surf 1:45-3:30. Very much fun, 1 longboarder.

tomorrow, by forecast I would hit the water 10-1pm. enjoy!
gabrielb

by shadymorels » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Hey Gab,

I've tried finding this WhatsApp group with no luck, am I missing anything?
shadymorels

by gabrielb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Tom, send me your phone number (to add to whatsapp) by pm.

I'll add Nate and Reid.

Keelan (in australia) is the one doing the admin, I'll send an email to him.

I am posting less, but there is surf. 2WB,2PR in the last 2 weeks ... can't complain.

WhatsApp may not do much for surf forecast. Just follow the basic formula:

. PR, 25+Saturna, 18knotsSandy (minimum), tide under 11ft ...higher tide with more wind works.
. WB, HB over 0.6m and ballenas&sisters over 18 with some local wind, tide under 10 ... higher tide with more wind works.
.Olympic trail, SW 6-9ft tide still applies, but rare.

I don't osr, but others may.
gabrielb

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing