Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Byron Bay

When there's absolutely no wind

by Michael » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:37 am

The first day waves were nice but the break was crowed, far more than the kids and I were used to so it was a challenge. The next few days were small, by local standards, but that was nice for us and added to that the weekend crowds were gone so that meant some fun rides were had by all. Shared a few nice party waves with my son which was awesome and watched my daughter catch wave after wave. Waves are going to more than double in the next few days! Looks like no windsurfing this trip but this town is all about surfing so I'm just going to go with it and enjoy the vibe and the waves! :D What a place.
Pictures are of this evenings sunset session at Wategos Beach, far less crowded than The Pass where we've been surfing.
Attachments
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG (142.26 KiB) Viewed 19625 times
IMG_3213.JPG
IMG_3213.JPG (120.29 KiB) Viewed 19625 times
IMG_3212.JPG
IMG_3212.JPG (128.59 KiB) Viewed 19625 times
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 2.31.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 2.31.25 AM.png (926.11 KiB) Viewed 19625 times
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:06 am

Nice, Michael! I need to relocate...
AdrienGrelon

by Chuck » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Didn’t know you were here down undah!

Just arrived in Brisbane this morning myself! Too bad about the rain :roll: Was also here last week too, glad you are getting some rides, B(yron) Bay is a fun spot!

If you say ‘Rise up lights’ you sound like an Aussie saying ‘Razor Blades’
Chuck

by Michael » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:28 am

Chuck wrote:Didn’t know you were here down undah!

Hey Chuck, yes got the AC flight direct to Brisbane. Byron is a very fun spot for sure! We are returning April 7th. Today was challenging, big waves and lots of aggro surfers, only caught one wave in 2 hours but it was the best surf I've had for sure. About 4 turns then a nose ride to catch the re-form them another 4 turns, fun! :D First time using a long board and it's a blast in these waves.

AdrienGrelon wrote:Nice, Michael! I need to relocate...

This would be a fun place to live for sure!
Michael

by Michael » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Was out of my league today. Some massive swell hit the east coast, over head high and Heavy! Went to Wategos for an evening session and got worked, looked great from the beach but trying to get out I started to feel uneasy. Finally got outside and then felt the fear. Spent an hour out there trying to catch something and eventually waited for a wave small enough to get in.
Attachments
BigWategos.jpg
BigWategos.jpg (785.6 KiB) Viewed 19384 times
WorkedAtWategos.jpg
WorkedAtWategos.jpg (570.7 KiB) Viewed 19384 times
WorkedAtWategos2.jpg
WorkedAtWategos2.jpg (532.27 KiB) Viewed 19384 times
Michael

by C36 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 am

Michael wrote:Looks like fun Dave! It's nice being out with the kids for sure. The swell just keeps pumping here. Today I managed to rent a SUP. 2017 Fanatic Prowave 9.2. Same board I have but the new one has a lot less volume. Had to drive and hour and a half each way to get it. On the way home we stopped and surfed at Kingscliff and I saw my son disappear in front of an over head high wave only to emerge a few seconds later in front of a explosion of white water and ride it all the way to the beach. One of the local surfers paddled over to me and said "That was a nice one, and he managed to ride it all the way in!" I only managed to catch a few smaller ones as the SUP was getting blown all over the place. I finally got the SUP but had wished I'd taken out the long board instead. More big surf to come! Enjoy your holiday!

8-)

Michael wrote:The first day waves were nice but the break was crowed, far more than the kids and I were used to so it was a challenge. The next few days were small, by local standards, but that was nice for us and added to that the weekend crowds were gone so that meant some fun rides were had by all. Shared a few nice party waves with my son which was awesome and watched my daughter catch wave after wave...

Had a similar experince with a couple of our sessions at Old Man's being crowded and everyone hovering around the concentrated and predictable peak. Saw one guy drop in on one a bomb on a monster cruiser SUP and thread the niddle through the crowd. :shock: Spoke to him after and he decided to call his session at that point as not to endanger others. I figured out a way I could safely drop in first to the left of the peak and drive hard right to safety to avoid the shallow rocks on the inside, but had the exit door slammed shut by others dropping in late and had to dodge the rocks a few times. The good and the bad of a party wave spot (higher wave count, but less freedom/control on the wave). All good, just different and makes you appreciate the solo rides all that much more! :D

Michael wrote:...Waves are going to more than double in the next few days! Looks like no windsurfing this trip but this town is all about surfing so I'm just going to go with it and enjoy the vibe and the waves! :D What a place.
Pictures are of this evenings sunset session at Wategos Beach, far less crowded than The Pass where we've been surfing.

8-) Sounds like a good plan! Enjoy! :D :D :D

Michael wrote:...Byron is a very fun spot for sure! We are returning April 7th. Today was challenging, big waves and lots of aggro surfers, only caught one wave in 2 hours but it was the best surf I've had for sure. About 4 turns then a nose ride to catch the re-form them another 4 turns, fun! :D First time using a long board and it's a blast in these waves.

8-)

Michael wrote:Was out of my league today. Some massive swell hit the east coast, over head high and Heavy! Went to Wategos for an evening session and got worked, looked great from the beach but trying to get out I started to feel uneasy. Finally got outside and then felt the fear. Spent an hour out there trying to catch something and eventually waited for a wave small enough to get in.

:shock: This post made my day! Have to admit to LOL when I saw the pictures of the 'SUP-rocket-launch'. :lol: (been there, done that - many times). :D ;)
Thanks for sharing! Safe travels!
C36

by Michael » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:49 am

C36 wrote:Michael wrote: this town is all about surfing so I'm just going to go with it and enjoy the vibe and the waves!

Sounds like a good plan! Enjoy!

I've discovered that I don't really like the surfing vibe of this place. :( Maybe 20 years ago this would have been a magic town but now not so much. There is just way too much aggro, from the line up to the parking lot, and way too many people. I miss windsurfing!
Michael

by morrison » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:14 am

"There is just way too much aggro, from the line up to the parking lot, and way too many people."

Well said. Seems to apply to humanity in general. From the Sq. spit to the local Costco and the roads in betwee?
morrison

by C36 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:43 am

Michael wrote:I've discovered that I don't really like the surfing vibe of this place. :( Maybe 20 years ago this would have been a magic town but now not so much. There is just way too much aggro, from the line up to the parking lot, and way too many people. I miss windsurfing!

morrison wrote:Well said. Seems to apply to humanity in general. From the Sq. spit to the local Costco and the roads in betwee[n]

Sorry to hear that M. Makes you appreciate the freindly vibe at our local sites/breaks (with a few exceptions). :D ;)

Hope you are treated to a few low key 'quiet' moments as reminders of times past and enjoy the rest of the trip (on and off the water)!
C36

by Michael » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:10 am

C36 wrote:Hope you are treated to a few low key 'quiet' moments as reminders of times past and enjoy the rest of the trip (on and off the water)!

We moved up to North Stradbroke Island for the last 4 days of the trip and I scored some of the best waves I've ever SUPed. Just me and one surfer, over head high, long and not too steep, made for long but fast rides. First few I thought were to big to catch but committed anyways, rewarded! Caught five nice ones then got caught on the inside by a massive set and took 5 on the head. Ended up about a mile down the beach exhausted as the sun was going down. Great first day, photos are taken from the balcony of the house we are renting.
Attachments
Stradbroke2.jpg
#photo Stradbroke2.jpg
Stradbroke2.jpg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 19147 times
Stradbroke1.jpg
#photo Stradbroke1.jpg
Stradbroke1.jpg (3.81 MiB) Viewed 19147 times
Michael

Next

Return to SUP and Surfing