Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cape Town Diaries

Windsurfing shop talk

by letsflykites » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:35 am

ShonanDB wrote:Oh great, AG in Australia and Ryan & Jen in SA. Now I'll never get any work done! Anyone in Maui to add to the pain....?

We are all living vicariously through your logs and pics so please keep them coming.

Darrell

I guess you don't want to hear about those of us housesitting in Mexico for the winter then either eh?

Ryan, is Witsands *the* place to be or are there other local launches too?
Attachments
20180102-20180102-DSC00787.jpg
wheeeee!
20180102-20180102-DSC00787.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 16182 times
“Excitement is the more practical synonym for happiness, and it is precisely what you should strive to chase. It is the cure-all.”
― Timothy Ferriss, The 4-Hour Workweek
letsflykites

by Ryan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Witsands is one of many good sailing spots. Sometimes the North cape (Blouberg/ Big Bay/ Sunset/ Melkbos/ Haakgat etc) has no wind and the South which includes Witsands and Cape Point/Platboom/ Scarborough has wind. Sometimes it's too windy in the South Cape. Sometimes it's only windy in the North Cape. Sometimes it's not windy at any of the above spots but then there is a lake inland (Brandvlei) that gets a thermal on a NW wind. To mention some of the main spots, there are many others.

Witsands is a great jumping spot as Ricardo Campello has shown, as well as having good rideable waves. It's also great on the opposite wind direction (NW) which happens when winter storms come in.
Ryan

by Ryan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Big bay was full pros today. 35 knots plus, tons of stalled forwards, backloops. Ricardo Campello, Amado Vieswyk, Sarah Quita were out to name a few. Even Ricardo said it was very windy.

I took a board bash to the sternum more than a week ago and have been recovering until today. I'm still not back to normal but at least got back on the water. Jen sailed too, turned on a wave without looking properly and took a chunk out of her board when she hit someone heading out.

Jen.JPG
#photo
Jen.JPG (4.45 MiB) Viewed 16152 times

The past week has been very windy but a little flat at Big Bay where we are staying. Jen is working at the childrens hospital and has already got quite a few afterwork sessions in. The beach is steps away from our apartment.

JMonica.JPG
#photo
JMonica.JPG (4.04 MiB) Viewed 16152 times

Monica and Linda from Vancouver / UBC sailing had their first wave experience in a very windy Big Bay on Thursday.

Ric Wave.JPG
#photo
Ric Wave.JPG (3.81 MiB) Viewed 16152 times

Ricardo Campello on a typical wave today.

Ric.JPG
#photo
Ric.JPG (4.5 MiB) Viewed 16152 times

Ricardo getting some air.
Ryan

by C36 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Looks super fun R/J! And sounds like there are lots of options. 8-)

Ryan wrote:..I took a board bash to the sternum more than a week ago and have been recovering until today. I'm still not back to normal but at least got back on the water...

Sorry to hear you took a hit, but nice you are back out again! Nice choice on first day back out (35 knots). :D ;)

Ryan wrote:...took a chunk out of her board when she hit someone heading out...

That must have been one tough sailor she hit. :D ;)

Ryan wrote:...The past week has been very windy but a little flat at Big Bay where we are staying. Jen is working at the childrens hospital and has already got quite a few afterwork sessions in. The beach is steps away from our apartment...

...Monica and Linda from Vancouver / UBC sailing had their first wave experience in a very windy Big Bay on Thursday.

:shock: Job, apartment, international tours - did I miss something? That sounds like more than a vacation - did you repatriate/Jen immigrate? If so, maybe you should change the title of the thread to "Cape Town Staycation". :D ;)

What an awesome spot for an extended stay! :D :D :D
C36

by LeopardSkin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:31 pm

LeopardSkin

by Michael » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Ryan wrote:I took a board bash to the sternum more than a week ago and have been recovering until today. I'm still not back to normal but at least got back on the water. Jen sailed too, turned on a wave without looking properly and took a chunk out of her board when she hit someone heading out.
Glad to hear you are getting better and Jen avoided injury. Looks like an amazing place, enjoy it as much as you can. Hope you guys come home before day zero!

Another nice video of Witsands.

Michael

by Ryan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 pm

Hey Dave, we're here until June 30, Jen is doing a rotation at the children's hospital. I'm working remotely.
Ryan

by C36 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Ryan wrote:Hey Dave, we're here until June 30, Jen is doing a rotation at the children's hospital. I'm working remotely.

NICE! Very nice! :D :D :D
C36

by Michael » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:27 pm

Looks like there is a lot going on over there and everyone is in town!
Hope things are going well for you guys!

Michael

by C36 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Ryan wrote:Hey Dave, we're here until June 30, Jen is doing a rotation at the children's hospital. I'm working remotely.

C36 wrote:NICE! Very nice! :D :D :D

:idea: Afterthought:
With six months of 'training' in Cape Town you two should be tour ready by then. :D :D

Too bad there isn't a IWT event in Cape Town and the Pistol River event is in early June. :?
You two considering doing Morocco in Mar/Apr?
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing