Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by C36 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:17 am

photo credit: Roy Mathews

Delayed forecast delayed my arrival until just after 11 am (HB at 0.4 m and a forecast tide of 2.1 m). Small round waves didn't look like it was worth it, but the sun and warm weather drew me down to the water for a paddle anyways. Roy was already out and catching some gentle gliding rides. The breeze started to draw in with the sea breeze thermal, as GB has predicted. Both breeze and wind swell built in earnest. Gradually the rolls started to feel more like waves as faces and white water started to appear. By the end (around 2 pm with HB at 0.7 m and a forecast tide of 3.6 m) there was the odd waist-high set. Nice and warm and fun for what it was.

mini gallery
C36

by C36 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 pm

TG1 – SUP – Long Beach (2017 Oct 6)

Silver lining. There aren’t too many days when I wonder why I came out here, but this one had me wondering at first. Lots of look-sees upon arrival – Flo (unsettled), Wick (blow out), Long Beach (trying but onshore wind), Cox Bay (mixed bag and looked like a lot of work), North Chesterman (small but interesting mid-beach), South Chesterman (small but the wind was teasing). Finally decided on Long Beach SUP when the wind tanked at South Chesterman. Arrived to find glassy waves, but by the time I got out there the first rain squall was rolling through – felt like the ocean really didn’t want me out there. Latter stint was way more fun! Tsawasssan joyed in after his nap. Enjoyed taking Jessie’s paddle for a test drive. Ended up switching back and forth between windsurfing gear. Both were fun!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

TG21 – windsurf – Long Beach (2017 Oct 6)

Rain squalls. Small crew – Redbaron, BamfieldDave, SquamishVW and me. Rain squalls. Uber light at times. Slog and ride. Full on during the rain squalls. Glad my board had footstraps.

Slideshow

\edit SquamishVW (not Tsawwassen)
Last edited by C36 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
C36

by Alton » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 pm

C36 wrote:Small crew – Redbaron, BamfieldDave, Tsawassen and me

So that's why you and Michael were AWOL from Friday's White Rock session. Well done
Alton

by C36 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:35 pm

TG3 – SUP – Long Beach (2017 Oct 7)

Birthday boy. Looked like a whale had washed up on the beach, but turned out just to be a Car-cass. Tsawwassen and I shadowed BWD on SUP`s and caught a few rides. Tsawwassen mentioned he now understood how easy the waves were catch last night (they were a lot rounder this morning). Still fun and nice way to start Tsawwassen’s birthday celebrations!

Slideshow

TG4 – windsurf – Long Beach (2017 Oct 7)

Consequences. A bystander `helped` a kayaker launch – waves got him and then Incinerator Rock just missed finishing his boat off. Bigger crew today – Redbaron, Stokeometer, SquamishVW, BFD, BWD, Tsawwassen, and I. Light, shifty wind with consequences. Red Baron led the charge and later got the best of it. SquamishVW caught some rides further up the beach SUP sailing. Stokeometer was out early working the Pocket Rocket SUP. I saw BWD get a few inspiring DTL rides. I caught a couple fun ones when the wind powered up. Then the wind lulled, I blew a tack and ended up uphauling, squeaked out. Then dropped in on a rather mean jacking face that sent me straight down to the bottom of the sea when I pearled the nose of the board at the bottom of what felt like a vertical wall. Took another three on the head, but managed to keep my rig safe for the most part until the last one broke my mast extension (happy it was that and not another mast, sail, and/or board). Stokeometer mentioned he blew the box out of the deck of the Pocket Rocket while he was helping me carry my board in (thanks for the hand). By the time I walked up and grabbed another mast extension it was done. Lots of post-session comments on how clean the waves were. Odd mix of fun, fickle and punishment (for me).

Slideshow

TG5 – SUP – Long Beach (2017 Oct 7)

Light show. Evening glass off (with wind rebounding late). BWD, Tsawwassen and I got treated to nice waves and a spectacular twilight sky filled with colour. Super fun session with power, size and open faces (thanks to the side-off wind). Romour had it the Peter Devries was putting on a aerial show with his surfboard down by Lovekin.

Slideshow

TG6 – SUP – Long Beach (2017 Oct 8)

Morning glory. Chill in the air. Stirred up sea. Three surfers out at dawn – only saw one ride and one blooded nose. Breakfast on the beach then a spash and dash. Tsawwassen, BWD, two other SUP’s and I had tinies all to ourselves. Bigger than last night at times. Some bombs caught and some missed. An interesting mix of frightening moments and memorable rides. Glad I went out!

Slideshow
C36

by gabrielb » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:31 pm

3rd photo would be a great ride, nice and easy, nobody on it... It's still flat over here (never been over 0.9mHB in 2017). :?
gabrielb

by C36 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:51 am

Cody Young helps team Hawaii take silver team medal at the 2017 Vissla ISA World Junior Surfing Championship in Hyuga, Japan by taking third place in U-18 Boys.

Cody at 2:35.

MS article here.
C36

by george » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Gabriel's beach. Big waves, warm, nice rip to float back out to the lineup...which consisted of myself and Andy.

Saw Andy catch some nice drops on some slabs. Nice work.

Nimby azzhaoles closed the lane to parking. Should be a law...

Sat looks like some potential.
george

by C36 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 am

george wrote:Gabriel's beach. Big waves, warm, nice rip to float back out to the lineup...which consisted of myself and Andy.

Saw Andy catch some nice drops on some slabs. Nice work.

Nimby azzhaoles closed the lane to parking. Should be a law...

Sat looks like some potential.

Awesome local score George! Check out how busy this break is in the UK. :shock:
C36

by george » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:46 am

Dave, that wave looks so nice, and so many kelp heads in the water to dodge... Thanks for posting that!
george

by gabrielb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:10 am

jetstream doing a loop, mixing with warmer air...
http://squall.sfsu.edu/scripts/namjetst ... _fcst.html
17111012_jetstream_h48.gif
17111012_jetstream_h48.gif (50.83 KiB) Viewed 17753 times

long term forecast places an X on NE and full SE reinforced by jetstream (expect 30 knots)....
eh.JPG
eh.JPG (86.56 KiB) Viewed 17753 times

11-7 degrees even with clear skies for the next while., It means we are going for a ride :shock: for the next 6 days (15 minute drive for surf I like).
gabrielb

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing