Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:51 am

If Sunday NW manages to get HB over 0.8 by 12 noon, WB will have a break. East side of spit, over rocks. 50/50.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:18 pm

12 ft tide was just perfect with 1.2mHB.

Darrell caught very nice rides to add to his complete day. George is always happy if over 4ft faces.
David was caught on the inside with SUP and wind did not help... we all looked like we knew what we were doing, most of the time. I made errors, lost opportunities while riding, good long rides, nice sets, fun for Vancouver 1130am to 2PM.
Thx to C36+Darrell for joining, very nice surprise. :D
gabrielb

by george » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Great day. Warm, nice waves, but a bit chaotic, the peaks were shifting back and forth, left and right...storm surfing, what are you gonna do. But there were sure some nice ones.
Got some love from the locals too, though mostly I just heard it as I didn't want to stare...didn't appear to be much shrinkage despite cool temps...haha.
Good to see the crew out there. Saw Vero after too.These sessions are always a mixed bag, so I don't think anyone needs to be discouraged. Getting out past the break is a grind and an accomplishment in itself...shore pound at 5 sec is brutal. If one even catches an ugly pile of whitewater, you get to celebrate! Actually if you even try to go out, you rock!
See everyone next time.
george

by ShonanDB » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:42 pm

Glad I took the time to check out WB today. Had to keep paddling most of the time with the wind but caught a few decent waves. Pretty tired after the Acadia roller coaster session and the stairs back up out of WB reminded me of the uphill climbs that I missed at Burnaby Mountain this morning where I would have been on the Mtn Bike if the wind hadn't shown. :roll:

C36, GB, and George thanks for showing me around and where the rocks are. Nice scenery walking back up the stairs :D
ShonanDB

by gabrielb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 am

wb.JPG
wb.JPG (44.62 KiB) Viewed 14650 times

Next time, try those 2 spots in the map, when normal WB loses its break. It's deeper water you'll get better, bigger waves every 5 minutes. Safe over 11ft tide, finish over your board, best for longboards.

I didn't realize it was full house yesterday, I am out to lunch while surfing, doing my own thing:

-George,David,Darrell, Angus, myself (before 1pm), Vero, Adam (after 1pm).

Couldn't recognize a surfer waving me, facing the sun... 15 minutes later I remembered the board (Vero).

expanding the first break above...no rocks, sand:
Norocks.JPG
Norocks.JPG (97.88 KiB) Viewed 14645 times
gabrielb

by george » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:57 pm

So Howe Sound is forecasting a 40-50kt outflow Wed afternoon...any potential for a WB wave?
george

by C36 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:28 pm

george wrote:So Howe Sound is forecasting a 40-50kt outflow Wed afternoon...any potential for a WB wave?

Good question. I've often wondered the same thing.

gabrielb wrote:12 ft tide was just perfect with 1.2mHB.

Darrell caught very nice rides to add to his complete day. George is always happy if over 4ft faces.
David was caught on the inside with SUP and wind did not help... we all looked like we knew what we were doing, most of the time. I made errors, lost opportunities while riding, good long rides, nice sets, fun for Vancouver 1130am to 2PM.
Thx to C36+Darrell for joining, very nice surprise. :D

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement GB. Happy to join the party when time and conditions permit. :D

george wrote:Great day. Warm, nice waves, but a bit chaotic, the peaks were shifting back and forth, left and right...storm surfing, what are you gonna do. But there were sure some nice ones.
Got some love from the locals too, though mostly I just heard it as I didn't want to stare...didn't appear to be much shrinkage despite cool temps...haha.
Good to see the crew out there. Saw Vero after too. These sessions are always a mixed bag, so I don't think anyone needs to be discouraged. Getting out past the break is a grind and an accomplishment in itself...shore pound at 5 sec is brutal. If one even catches an ugly pile of whitewater, you get to celebrate! Actually if you even try to go out, you rock!
See everyone next time.

I never thought I would say this, but I was really hoping the wind was going to back off. :o :oops: :lol: Glad you got some glassy rides before the wind rebounded. :D

ShonanDB wrote:Glad I took the time to check out WB today. Had to keep paddling most of the time with the wind but caught a few decent waves. Pretty tired after the Acadia roller coaster session and the stairs back up out of WB reminded me of the uphill climbs that I missed at Burnaby Mountain this morning where I would have been on the Mtn Bike if the wind hadn't shown. :roll:

C36, GB, and George thanks for showing me around and where the rocks are. Nice scenery walking back up the stairs :D

You're most welcome! I've never seen it that 'angry' before, honest. :oops: :D ;)

Session log cross-posted below for convenience.

With the water glassing off it was time to head for Wreck Beach. Arrived to find glassy looking waves from the bluff (according to plan) and then arrived at the beach to find more wind then when we were sailing at Acadia, shore break and the odd dumping wave (not according to plan) - this was not the SUP session I was hoping for ~ decided to wait for the tide to ebb and hoped for the wind to back. Enjoying seeing George, GB and DB all catch 3-4 second rides (some on clean faces)! Well done! Then decided it was now or never so choose my moment and paddled out on my knees (to reduce my sail area), rolled around, popped up, short ride and repeated. Then was really getting pushed around by the wind and the odd dumping wave so decided to call it a day. Pretty mean SUP session. Had to convince DB that was not typical set-up at Wreck Beach.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by gabrielb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:38 pm

George, a co-worker takes the ferry every morning/afternoon to work from Sunshine Coast.. He said there are huge waves on beaches, so I asked him next time it happens to take photos with his phone (probably it's at Bowen island). Can it reach WB?, probably not.
wb.JPG
wb.JPG (22.63 KiB) Viewed 14631 times

Sometimes I see cross waves, can't say.

Next session, probably Friday late afternoon (PR, SE).
gabrielb

by ShonanDB » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:07 pm

From the 30-40knot outflow days I saw last year there were whitecaps up until the end of Bowen Island and nothing out into the Strait so I can't imagine that WB would see anything bigger than knee high as the wave energy would dissipate quickly.
ShonanDB

by Slappy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:58 pm

If it did somehow manage to make it to Wreck the wave angle would give a wicked peeling break.

I'll try North of the spit next time I'm out. I've only surfted just to the South of it before. There are always lots of logs caught up on the North side so I've stayed away.

Thanks for the tips.
Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing