Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Friday SE?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by 8mdude » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Alton wrote:Overpowered on 9m. Pumping 7m. Only 8 slackers out

Unfortunately, I'm enjoying work so can't slack :-)
8mdude

by Alton » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Epic conditions at 3rd Ave and Centennial. Haven't seen waves this clean since October. Head high outside with 30' to 40' spacing. SSE 30 gusting 35. Lit on 7m.

Taking a lunch break now.
Alton

by Faceplant » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:25 pm

I am fulfilled. Guy at work had the nerve to go ahead and chip a tooth which required emergency treatment so I was needed for most of the day. Managed to sneak out and get 55 minutes on the water. Managed a few lofty jumps on the 7 meter, but wanted to see what the outside looked like. It was pretty sweet!! As Alton described, head high clean waves. Nice slashes and huge sprays on the smaller waist/shoulder high inside waves. I was pretty bagged after 55minutes. Not sure if I'm out of shape, or it's just the intensity of these type of conditions. :D
Attachments
Dec2-3.PNG
Dec2-3.PNG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 10609 times
Dec2-2.PNG
Dec2-2.PNG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 10609 times
Dec2-1.PNG
Dec2-1.PNG (673.58 KiB) Viewed 10609 times
Faceplant

by Alton » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Done. Waves starting to get disorganized and wind backed off to SSE 25.
Alton

by gabrielb » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:57 pm

white rock should be good for an hour...
wr.JPG
wr.JPG (35.18 KiB) Viewed 10604 times
gabrielb

by ShonanDB » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Oh what fun it is to ride........ what a nice way to start December! Arrived at CNL around 9:40 am and the bay was full of white caps and nice waves rolling in off the beach. Brian and Adrian were just heading out on 5.0 and 4.7 respectively so I rigged my 4.7 and took out the JP 101L. Was fully lit from the beach and overpowered on the outside so came back in after a few runs and switched to the 73L and tweaked my sail to handle the wind. Beautiful waves today about waist to shoulder high and 30 ft spacing between so riding was the call the entire session. I found ramps on both starboard and port runs which is rare and just had a blast riding backside and some frontside with multiple turns as the sets rolled through.

GB & George: PR must have been jacking up nicely from the size and shape of what I saw off CNL!

As the other day, it was easy to stay upwind or get back even after going deep on a number of extended turns. After an hour or so the wind kept ramping up so went in and re-rigged my 4.2. Headed back out and got another hour on that setup eventually coming in around 12:30 pm as I had to leave at 1:00. Heard it was still ramping up when I was leaving so for those who arrived around 1:00 ish, it must have been even more fun on the 3.7's again. Great day and the best waves in a long time. Didn't need gloves today and it felt fairly warm overall but that looks to be changing soon with a cold air-mass on its way Sat evening.
Last edited by ShonanDB on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShonanDB

by Alton » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Pow day at 3rd Ave and Centennial - in my top 5 sessions for 2016 :D

Started at 10am on 9m then quickly switched to 7m - much better. SSE 25 ramped up to SSE 30 gusting 35 at noon. 7m was perfect.

In the morning waves were nicely formed everywhere so spent a lot of time upwind of the boat launch where breaking waves were head high with 30' to 40' clean spacing between. 2 hours of fantastic wave riding with Lucas, Faceplant, Jerry and Rob D.

After lunch waves at 3rd Ave were slightly disorganized so joined the windsurfers down at Centennial where waist high waves were super clean. So much fun sharing the waves with Michael, Dave/C36, David, Brian C, Adrien, Darrell, Jay Browner, Ryan ... After windsurfers packed up, I got lonely and returned to 3rd Ave where waves were getting increasingly disorganized by 3pm.

After 4 hrs TOW, I called it quits. Still not tired because the riding smooooth and long sections down nicely formed waves was effortless.

Surprised to find more windsurfing slackers than kitesurfing slackers today.

Tsawwassen_Fri_Dec_1.jpeg
Tsawwassen_Fri_Dec_1.jpeg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 10537 times
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:36 pm

Alton, get it right: It was "Adrian" and not "Adrien" who was out there today!! :lol: :(

I had to do a language test for immigration today so there was no way I could sneak out even for a bit... oh well, it seems like we're back in Oh-six, so I'm expecting more shortly.

Hope everyone made the most of it. ALWAYS windy on Friday. As sure as the sun rises...
AdrienGrelon

by bandito » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 pm

glad you boys n girls had some great clean wave riding, I got the same wt fresh tracks in deep mid heavy snow, , everyone happy! . was very wet n foggy , most of you wouldn't like it up there, but im fine wt it, wet on water or wet on snow , all samelol ohhh but the fresh tracks wt no one, priceless!
bandito

by C36 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:01 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:Alton, get it right: It was "Adrian" and not "Adrien" who was out there today!! :lol: :(

I had to do a language test for immigration today so there was no way I could sneak out even for a bit... oh well, it seems like we're back in Oh-six, so I'm expecting more shortly.

Hope everyone made the most of it. ALWAYS windy on Friday. As sure as the sun rises...

From what I have heard you should be able to pass with flying colours in both official languages! :D ;)

Frustrating drive down (accident on Alex Fraser and very timid side-by-side drivers across 17).  Arrived to find the morning shift (DB, middle Adrian, big Dave) leaving the water. Word was wind was steady. Rigged 4.0/74 and joined JB, M, AHD-Dave, FOLO. Heavy mist in the air, solid wind and rampy waist high waves. Something about the board felt 'off' - felt sluggish, kept breaking free, and just wouldn't drive upwind, then I realized I had stock wave fin in and was picking up weeds ~ back to beach for the Mano 20. Ah! That's better! Just as I was headed back out I could see M go for a back loop way out over the second bank and you could tell he got good height, nice apex and drop back downwind! Well done!

Saw Alton out just below 3rd and M and shared a few waves over the second bank.

Then it was just Lubo and I. The Wind continued to spin to the S and the swell increased and came back. It started to hint at sideoff, and served a few nice clean rides. The wind faltered and got spooky and started to clear so I came in.  Lubo milked it to the end in the last rebound. Warmer than expected (no gloves). Colorful clearing sky at sunset.

That marks 12MY3 for me - 12 months this year with sessions and the 3rd year in a row for all 12 months with a total streak of 40 consecutive months. Funny the things you notice when you start keeping records ~

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR