Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Saturday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Chris Klohn » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:03 pm

Forecast just out.........

Wind gusts to Storm Force 65 knots from Saturna to Point Roberts
Wind gusts to Hurricane Force 75 knots around Whidbey

That would make the wind today seem pretty mellow. Completely impossible to sail and kite in but fun to watch!
Chris Klohn

by Alton » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Chris Klohn wrote:Forecast just out.........

That would make the wind today seem pretty mellow. Completely impossible to sail and kite in but fun to watch!

Unless it's SE Saturday morning, I plan to take a day of rest and simply avoid Saturday afternoon/evening's carnage.
Alton

by gabrielb » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:28 pm

I'll try 2 to 4pm.
4 pm , 12 ft tide.
I imagine it will keep ramping up , always fun .
Wind hits back while riding, easier to get into wave. A few 7 ft sets/walls today. Solo session. Crazy windy, perfect windsurf break right/front(30 meters out) of jetty to try some jumps, at 7 ft tide.
gabrielb

by Chris Klohn » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:43 pm

Alton wrote:
Chris Klohn wrote:Forecast just out.........

Unless it's SE Saturday morning, I plan to take a day of rest and simply avoid Saturday afternoon/evening's carnage.

Sounds smart Alton........

When the wind truly starts gusting 50+ knots things happen pretty fast. I've had windsurfing gear blow end over end several hundred meters after a simple wipe out in a turn. Pretty tough swimming after it in complete liquid smoke when it has a head start on you and you can't see it. I've never kited in winds over 35-40 knots but would imagine 50+ knots would be pretty dangerous if you screwed up.

I read a post a few days ago about someone kiting in 56 knots with a 7 meter at 3rd last year?! Crazy considering all the guys with 5 meters were blown off the water today in 45 knots :shock:

There should be some good headlines in the news Sunday morning after this thing rolls through. The track still looks like a tightrope walk for everything to go off huge locally despite the forecast showing huge wind now.

We'll see........
Chris Klohn

by bandito » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:15 pm

True story, i forgot my 5m like new Liquidforce Envy kite at the Squamish Spit a lonnng while back, reward for return! i need it tomorrow morning.!!! yes i was bakelol

man ,i imagine an horrible kitemare scenario as a gust so powerful it throw the kiter next to the kite during an insane jump. not sure if that person is alive :shock:

if someone can post prediction for all day at boundary bay by 6am ,much oblige.
7.5m was way to big for me this mid Friday morning...biggest waves i ever kited at boundary, AWESOME :D :mrgreen: BTW i chicken shit and didn't jump, where is Cash when i need him for inspiration....
bandito

by ShonanDB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:10 pm

gabrielb wrote:I'll try 2 to 4pm.
4 pm , 12 ft tide.
I imagine it will keep ramping up , always fun .
Wind hits back while riding, easier to get into wave. A few 7 ft sets/walls today. Solo session. Crazy windy, perfect windsurf break right/front(30 meters out) of jetty to try some jumps, at 7 ft tide.

GB
Halibut Bank got up to 2.1m at 6 seconds today. There must have been some some nice wrap ins to be had today.
ShonanDB

by Faceplant » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Heading to Double Bluff in the morning. Anyone want to carpool send me a PM. Leaving abbotsford by 6:30 am.
Faceplant

by Chris Klohn » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:11 pm

Atta Boy Faceplant!!!!

Can't wait to hear about your day tomorrow at Double Bluff. The webcam looked sick today down there with 35-45 most of the day. Tomorrow will be crazy good for sure. By heading south you are completely taking the risk of the path of the low out of the equation........smart move.

Be safe, Have fun!

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:30 am

Sweet you scored too Bandito. As for Centennial today I don't think it'll happen until late. The low looks to just be passing a few miles too far south. My guess is E to NE 25-35mph with higher gusts. It'll turn SE and crank late tonight.

Follow Faceplant if you want the same kind of Centennial conditions as today to Useless Bay on Whidbey. It's got a longer fetch, better forecast and the same sandbar / shelf setup. It should be way overhead in the middle today!!

Cheers,

Chris
Last edited by Chris Klohn on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Klohn

by Faceplant » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:48 am

Leaving a little later. PM me before 7 if you want a ride.
Leaving abby around 8. Looks like wind will gradually build throughout the day.
Faceplant

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR