Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

The Spit Diary

Windsurfing shop talk

by max.spock » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi all,

as the Squamish season is finally upon us, I've decided to work on a mini-series to log our progresses and (hopefully) increase the public awareness of The Spit as a windsurfing top notch spot.

I've noticed a positive trend in the last couple of years with more and more windsurfers getting into freestyle and I believe this deserves to be recorded and shared.

The episodes won't be all about perfectly closed tricks but mostly about the journey (long) to get to that point, so you can expect lots of crashes (some hilarious) and some brief extracts of a typical day spent at The Spit.

If you want to be filmed during a nice windy day just come close to the camera and smile (look for a white pole) and/or if you want to contribute with your footage PM/talk to me.

This is the very first (experimental) episode filmed last weekend, mostly on Sunday, as Saturday's data got lost thanks to the amazing gopro import app (shame on you gopro developer :evil: !!)

Feel free to leave your feedback and/or to share it if you like it!

See you on the water,
Cheers

Massimo

max.spock

by Slappy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Nice video, that must have been a lot of work to edit.

I saw your camera on the stick swaying in the wind and was worried the shots wouldn't turn out but it looked very good.
Slappy

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:07 pm

AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:13 pm

8-)
Nice work Massimo!
:D :D :D
C36

by Mike » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Very nice job and finishing!
Mike

by max.spock » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks!
It wasn't actually too much work to edit..but it really comes down to the level of refinement you're looking for!
The first custom pole experiment worked OK but there's room for improvement. The best shots are those taken while I was standing in the water holding the pole higher up..it's much closer to the rider and the point of view is higher..
I'm hoping to get more material and more tricks soon!
max.spock

by Michael » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:27 am

Nice video Massimo, keep it up! It does take time going through all the video but it's worth it.
Michael

by mparkes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:21 am

Awesome video showing off our amazing flat water and beautiful scenery. Those tricks are pretty sweet too! Are you interested in any kiting footage or mainly focusing on pole dancing? :p ;)
mparkes

by max.spock » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for the appreciative comments!
Considering the issues we had last week (see AG post) I would refrain from drawing more kites into the river at this point..
It could be dangerous having people jumping and dangling in such a constrained spot.. From my experience having a camera set up and filming usually tends to make people trying stupid and "spectacular" things..
So, unless we can film in the middle of the sound, away from obstacles and other sailors I'd prefer focusing on windsurfing only..
Cheers
max.spock

by Ryan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks for the video! I hope I have more tricks by the end of the year. Maybe something resembling a Shaka, at least a flat water shove it, and maybe some sort of duck initiated move. Funnel/ Bob maybe.
Ryan

Next

Return to Windsurfing