Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Wetsuits

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Roxstock » Thu May 07, 2015 6:41 pm

I'm in the market for a new wesuit. I tried on a oneill mutant and superfreak and also a ripcurl flashbomb. I didn't like the fit of the ripcurl, the mutant was very expensive and the superfreak has a permanent hood which I don't really want. I did manage to find a 2014 mutant online for a lot cheaper, has anybody used this suit? Would you recommend it?
Roxstock

by Alton » Thu May 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Roxstock wrote:I'm in the market for a new wesuit. I tried on a oneill mutant and superfreak and also a ripcurl flashbomb. I didn't like the fit of the ripcurl, the mutant was very expensive and the superfreak has a permanent hood which I don't really want. I did manage to find a 2014 mutant online for a lot cheaper, has anybody used this suit? Would you recommend it?

I tore my neck and shoulder on my O'Neill Mutant but it was covered under warranty. In fact, O'Neill offered me an upgrade to the 5.5/4 PyroTech for only the difference in price. O'Neill has the best warranty program in the business.

I would hesitate buying the 2014 O'Neill Mutant unless it's covered under warranty. Top entry wetsuits are super warm but prone to damage especially if you're not a skinny dude.
Alton

by C36 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:09 pm

Winter suit: 6/5/4 Neil Pryde Zealot (integrated hood and bamboo lining) - love this suit but would be too hot and uncomfortable (folded down hood) to wear in summer.

Summer suit: Neil Pryde Edge 5/4 - love this suit too (way more durable then the 3000 series suit I bought by accident that started cracking across the shoulders after 18 months).

Rip Curl flash bomb boots: thought the liner was a gimmick until I used them - UBER cozy! Too bad the Rip Curl doesn't fit you ~ as much as I love my Zealot, I would be tempted by Rip Curl flash bomb next time.
C36

by Roxstock » Thu May 07, 2015 9:02 pm

What are you saying about my weight Alton? Do you have a 5:4 or a 4:3?
Roxstock

by Alton » Thu May 07, 2015 9:08 pm

Roxstock wrote:What are you saying about my weight Alton? Do you have a 5:4 or a 4:3?

Guys like us exude so much manly-hood, top entry wetsuits sometimes can't contain it.

My O'Neill PyroTech is 5.5/4 which is great for the coldest winter days. Maybe a tad too warm for Squamish but I just take a dip into the ice-freezing water when I overheat.
Alton

by Slappy » Thu May 07, 2015 10:00 pm

I like to err on the side of too warm in Squamish otherwise I ride conservative because I dont want to fall in the ice water.

I like my NP suits a lot and you get great deals on them from silent sports.
Slappy

by ShonanDB » Thu May 07, 2015 10:16 pm

Have you tried any of the Xcel surf suits? I picked up a 6/5/4 Infinity Synergy hooded suit 2 years ago and have never had a warmer more comfortable suit. Great flexibility especially when surfing. I just picked up a hoodless 4/3 a few weeks ago for a Spring suit and found it comfy last week at PR when it was 10 degrees and 25 knots out of the NW. Hands were cold but the suit was just right. I've seen a few new suits with tags (still on) on Craigslist for $200 - $250 here locally. I've also heard that Cove Water Sports has a sale on but not sure what other brands they are carrying in addition to Xcel. I've used NP suits in the past but it has been a few years.
ShonanDB

by spinmaster3000 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:34 pm

I've been using the same O'Neill Mutant 5/4 since 2010 and have been very happy with it. It has hood or neck gasket attachment for flexibility. I've used it for surfing in the winter and at Squamish all summer-round for windsurfing or kiting. (Sometimes warm)

Lately, water has been pooling at my ankles and it is probably time for a new one, but it has been a good suit.

Heard great things about the flashbomb...was suit of the year a few years back. Also, Patagonia suits lined with wool are supposedly insanely warm, but more for winter surfing and are insanely expensive.
spinmaster3000

by gabor » Fri May 08, 2015 7:17 am

Normally there is a sale at Rip Curl in N.Van. twice a year, but I have not seen one posted for this spring, could be a place to pick up a wetsuit.
gabor

by babymama » Fri May 08, 2015 7:30 am

Promotion in hood river. Love them
babymama

Next

Return to Kiteboarding