Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:51 pm

Ulu, sorry for the misunderstanding. Johnstone strait (aka Sisters, aka Northern Georgia strait) has to be 15 knots+ and lined up with the strait. It never got to 15knot+ NW today.

ax.JPG
ax.JPG (46 KiB) Viewed 13154 times

All surf sessions that I had locally, that strait area had 15knot+ on it, and increasing. Tide and local wind may help to increase wave height, but without it it's a flop 90% of times.

But you seem a true surfer, so next time, even at knee high surf I'll join you (I should have gone this morning, just lazy), and we'll shred every little wave to demand bigger waves!

Next Saturday morning hoping for some (forecast shifted). Even at 0.6hb I'll be there.

0.9m at 1 am today, 1.1m at 1 am 2 days ago ...that's NW bs !.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Sisters moved up. Surf not dead yet.

dumbass.JPG
dumbass.JPG (62.88 KiB) Viewed 13140 times

Ulu I'll meet you at WB, 5:30pm-8pm.
gabrielb

by Uluwatu69 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Haha, sounds good. I ll bring the 7'6 and the 11'2" for AC just in case.
I ll be there.

;-)

For this coming weekend, I'll be on reserve Saturday in the morning from 9am then I am gone to comox overnight.
I might be able to drop my boards off at my niece's place in kerrisdale to optimize the water time and strait to airport. Next time off would be Sunday evening til Wednesday.
Wednesday is a reserve day. Then evening sessions the next 4 days and after 4 days off straight where I might try to drive to Westport if not busy with home life.
.. Or if something happens round here.
There was a couple in the water this morning at AC , Acadia. Too vac it got quite windy because size went up a bit but the onshore wind kinda killed it.
Uluwatu69

by Uluwatu69 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:51 pm

By respect for them, I won't mention any names but you can size the waves there... And it wasn't the biggest set (or should I say was the smaller than the other sets)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (348.12 KiB) Viewed 13139 times
Uluwatu69

by Uluwatu69 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Doesn't look like it's gonna happen this evening. Wind is weakening all over the area ...
I might be around downtown though with the gear...
Gabriel, let me know if you drive by WB or AC. Cheers.
Uluwatu69

by gabrielb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:13 am

Ulu, NP. Most SUP surfers around Vancouver are starting in the sport. They are accomplished windsurfers and kiters facing surf and wind in extreme conditions. They are like race car drivers learning to ride a bicycle (sup). They are in training wheels right now, so if you see them around in Vancouver give them some pointers to help develop their skills, If waves seem small, that's alright, so they'll be able to handle bigger waves later on. If you give them a sail/kite they'd be able to handle 6ft+ surf with no issues. We need more SUP to join in, as surfing alone in Vancouver in any conditions is not the way to go.
gabrielb

by Uluwatu69 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:14 am

I hear you. I always do try to help. Been doing so stupid things when I was younger and you learn from them.
But they were doing a great job considering the conditions. I was about to join them when the wind started picking up and spoil the waves.
It looks like there is a sandbank about 100 meters north of AC that might create something rideable with my 12'6 starboard allstar (good for downwind swell riding and short races).
...and I agree, the reasons why I bought a SUP all around and a racing one too were that I needed to reconnect with water as many times as possible since the surf in vancouver is very scattered...and it becomes quite challenging to go yo a proper surfing spot.
... That d be great to meet you guys that I have read posts from the wtfbc whenever there s a chance...and others too ;-)
Uluwatu69

by gabrielb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:10 am

fyi : hopefully some surf late afternoon tomorrow, 7-8pm , WB (as for the tide is not good for ambleside). If wind is not enough at Acadia just check HB if it's more than 0.6m go to WB for SUP.
gabrielb

by Michael » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:20 am

gabrielb wrote:fyi : hopefully some surf late afternoon tomorrow, 7-8pm , WB (as for the tide is not good for ambleside). If wind is not enough at Acadia just check HB if it's more than 0.6m go to WB for SUP.

If it blows all night will there be some waves on Saturday morning? I might go to WB in the morning before the Swap.
Michael

by C36 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:12 pm

gabrielb wrote:fyi : hopefully some surf late afternoon tomorrow, 7-8pm , WB (as for the tide is not good for ambleside). If wind is not enough at Acadia just check HB if it's more than 0.6m go to WB for SUP.

Tide at WB is predicted to be 4.0 m to 3.6 m (outgoing), if I am reading the tables correctly.

Michael wrote:If it blows all night will there be some waves on Saturday morning? I might go to WB in the morning before the Swap.

M: GB mentioned that if Halibut Bank is showing wave height > 0.5 WB is workable for SUP if the tide is from 2.4 m to 3.6 m (incoming of outgoing). Tide is predicted to be between 3.6 m and 2.4 (outgoing) between 8 am to about 9:30 am on Saturday morning, if I am reading the tables correctly. Just wanted to make sure you had seen the info on HB and tide.
C36

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing