https://vimeo.com/adamsims/surfari15

Ha! Here's the vid.

LeopardSkin

by max.spock » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:11 am

Thanks Tony!
max.spock

by Brian C » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:21 pm

Hey Michael and anyone else with a GoPro,
My daughter is saving up for a GoPro. Photography is her hobby and she does lots of sports so she wants to compliment her DSLR with one. What model and purchasing advice do you have? Do you know anyone who has tried the cheap copies like Optex that claim to be 1080 resolution and if so what they thought of the image quality?
thanks,
Brian
Brian C

by Michael » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Brian C wrote:Hey Michael and anyone else with a GoPro,
My daughter is saving up for a GoPro. Photography is her hobby and she does lots of sports so she wants to compliment her DSLR with one. What model and purchasing advice do you have? Do you know anyone who has tried the cheap copies like Optex that claim to be 1080 resolution and if so what they thought of the image quality?
thanks,
Brian

Hey Brian, I haven't tried any of the other models but Daryl mentioned the other day that his camera footage was very shaky. I'm not sure what kind he has. Most cams shot 1080p but the new gopros do 1080p 60fps which is good for slow motion but my hero 2 shoots 1080p 30fps and I still can get decent slow motion. The Hero Black shots 4k but that's over kill.
Check out the new lineup and look at the video settings. The screen is a nice feature which I don't have on mine.
http://shop.gopro.com/compare?category=cameras The Hero + looks like a good entry level cam, I think you can control it and use the screen on a smart phone or iPad.
If you have any other questions let me know, there is so much info on these things that I'm not sure what to upgrade to. I think the Hero 3+ is a good buy as well if you can still get them.
Michael

by ShonanDB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:19 am

"Hey Brian, I haven't tried any of the other models but Daryl mentioned the other day that his camera footage was very shaky. I'm not sure what kind he has. Most cams shot 1080p but the new gopros do 1080p 60fps which is good for slow motion but my hero 2 shoots 1080p 30fps and I still can get decent slow motion. The Hero Black shots 4k but that's over kill.
Check out the new lineup and look at the video settings. The screen is a nice feature which I don't have on mine.
http://shop.gopro.com/compare?category=cameras The Hero + looks like a good entry level cam, I think you can control it and use the screen on a smart phone or iPad.
If you have any other questions let me know, there is so much info on these things that I'm not sure what to upgrade to. I think the Hero 3+ is a good buy as well if you can still get them."

Yes, I have a Sportscam (Cheap GoPro knock off = $100) and it records 1080 at 30 fps and 720p at 60 fps. It is fine for putting on a drone or as a dash cam, etc but I find the recording too shaky for windsurfing (no image stabilization feature) but the quality of footage is decent. Great stills from video footage. No screen and limited adjustment using an ipad or Android app to control. I would recommend the GoPro 3 and I see them for the mid to high $200 range these days where the 4 is $550+.
Darrell
Last edited by ShonanDB on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShonanDB

by AdrienGrelon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:47 am

A quick note on the new GoPro's Brian (from what I've heard): Although the specs of the Hero 4 Session look not too different to the Hero 4 Silver, apparently the image quality is noticeably less crisp (cheaper sensor used).

Massimo picked up a very slightly used Hero 3 Silver (if memory serves), and the quality of that one is leagues ahead from the 2s. If you can find a good deal on a Black or Silver edition Hero 3, that could probably be good bang for buck!

Agreed with Michael - 4K is useless for most people at this stage.

I think I'll be getting the 4 Black with an armageddon of accessories in a few months in prep for the OR coast 8-)
AdrienGrelon

by Faceplant » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:34 am

Pretty good deals on Gopros this weekend. Direct from gopro site.
Best buy too, but not as many extras thrown in at best buy.
Faceplant

by Brian C » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Great info everyone. Thanks!!
Brian C

by Faceplant » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:33 pm

I just bought Hero4 silver. Extra mounts, vented helmet strap, extra battery, free chest mount, free 32GB card, free head strap, delivery and taxes 628 bucks from Go pro.
Thanks Santa!
Faceplant

PreviousNext

Return to General