Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tower Beach vs Acadia

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Alton » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:38 am

Lately I've been hearing many references to Tower Beach but I'm confused where it is.

I don't believe I ever been there because I assumed it's the west facing side after you turn the corner after Acadia ... before reaching Wreck Beach. Is that correct?

Yesterday, I almost made it to a yellow contraption upwind of Acadia (heading towards Wreck Beach). What do you call that yellow contraption?
Alton

by Jeff » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:18 am

It’s the original Vancouver Wave Energy Test station. Not sure it’s still in active use even though the structure appears to be there to stay.
Jeff

by LeopardSkin » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:07 am

The Information Superhighway's intertubes system shows Tower Beach

https://maps.app.goo.gl/WzASNNp6EGkKJQu69
LeopardSkin

by JonathanP » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:26 am

Yes, in reference to the artillery tower that stands there. Nice wave rides around there!
JonathanP

by Slappy » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:10 pm

Tower Beach proper is a smooth pebble beach between the two ww2 pillboxes. I refer to the Tower Beach break as the section of sandbar just right of the big stone reef off of Tower Beach, the section where I drew the waves:

towerbeach.jpg
towerbeach.jpg (101.65 KiB) Viewed 4114 times

I consider the difference between Tower and Acadia breaks something like this:
towervsacadia.jpg
towervsacadia.jpg (108.93 KiB) Viewed 4114 times

The reason I differentiate between the two is I find they break very differently.

The Acadia break is a long flat slope that just gets shallower very slowly.

The Tower Break is a sandbar that gets shallower as you go further out and then drops off. This makes it so that at the right tide (about 0.9m, but it varies with wave height) you get the waves breaking on the sandbar and then passing over it still as a wave which extends the wave.

I find that the waves at the Tower Break feel much more coastal like, with a curling peak that has power you have to respect.
Slappy

by Alton » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:12 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I've really got to make it over to Tower Beach to ride the "coastal waves".

Yesterday, I almost reached the Vancouver Wave Energy Test station (which looks more like erectile dysfunction) ... but it got too light for my 8m ... maybe next time
Alton

Return to General