Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cycling for Boardheads

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by mjamero » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:11 pm

I've been thinking about cycling as a cross training and shoulder season sport for my windsurfing. Where/how should I begin? What type of bike should I be considering and how much should I be realistically looking to spend? I don't want a cheap bike, however I'm not prepared to spend thousands on a bike. Windsurfing is expensive enough as it is and takes priority for my sporting budget. I live in Richmond where it's nice and flat. Most of my riding would be street with perhaps occasional light trail riding (like the dirt path along the Locarno/Jericho beach for example). Nothing beyond that type of terrain. Should I be looking at a dedicated street bike? Drop or straight bars? Can I get a decent bike at a box store like Sportchek or do I need to look elsewhere or a dedicated bike shop? How little can I spend and still get a good quality, light, well performing bike? How do I check what size bike I need? Any other tips, suggestions, or considerations on cycling in general would be welcomed.
mjamero

by john m » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:18 pm

Check out Rise e bikes in richmond
Attachments
8DC6549A-F134-4402-8EB9-05B0227B2A63.jpeg
8DC6549A-F134-4402-8EB9-05B0227B2A63.jpeg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 7996 times
john m

by mjamero » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:24 pm

john m wrote:Check out Rise e bikes in richmond
Oooh! Fancy! Thanks for the suggestion John.

Edit: Looks like Rise e bikes only does electric though? I'm looking for pure old fashioned pedal power cycling.
mjamero

by SE2 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:18 pm

I would recommend a "hybrid" model, midway between a mountain and a road bike. Light enough to be fast on the road yet sturdy enough to take some trail rides. A major feature that aides in this combination is the 27 inch (700 mm) wheel that is armed with a thinner tire than what you would find on a mountain bike. I live in White Rock so the 27 speeds I have gets me up and down any grade in town, though this would not be as necessary in Richmond. I bought this bike (Specialized Crosstrail) 10 years ago for under $1000.00 and the bike has not given me any grief over this time. Don't rule out CAPS Cycles in New West for information and purchase. Hope this helps.
SE2

by shmish » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:51 pm

I'll give you some examples from Giant bikes. Every decent manufacturer will have an equivalent bike that I'm showing (Brodie, Devinci, Specialized, etc). So the actual manufacturer doesn't matter a ton. Giant does have a good price point though, sometimes better than others.

Rule #1 get disc brakes
Rule #2 don't go too cheap
Rule #3: I wouldn't get anything cheaper than Shimano Sora. I strongly recommend Shimano 105 as the sweet spot for reliability, cost and effectiveness. Of course the more you ride, the easier it is to justify. I'm not sure what the SRAM equivalents are.

Fitness. Comfortable and a bit sporty: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-fastroad-sl

Endurance. Faster, more comfortable than a race bike, the Defy Advanced 3: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-defy-advanced

Gravel. More all-rounder, the Revolt gravel bike. Still pretty fast, a bit cheaper than a Defy, comfortable, better for wet weather because fenders will fit on it better, can use off-road: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-revolt-2021

I have several types of bikes, I've been using a bike similar to the Fastroad (but with an internal gear rear hub) for commuting for the past 8 years. If I were to get a new bike, I would get a gravel bike for winter riding, commuting, and some off-road rides.
shmish

by telus022420 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:54 pm

1) Buy TWO expensive bike locks. Use one for the front wheel. Look for YouTube reviews.

2) Get a used top of the line bike that's 5-10 years old. Bike with shocks are heavier and a magnet for thieves Or buy something cheap 50-100 and expect it to get stolen!

3) I've had two 2 bikes stolen both with cheap/ old locks. Modern thieves use all sorts of tools to defeat a lock. Search for videos in Youtube and you'll be surprised by how easy a lock can be broken; regardless of the manufacturer claims..

4) I've seen two bikes with front wheels stolen; the frame is locked to the rack.

5) Be sure to adjust brake handle angle, stem height, seat height, seat forward/back/angle. You could damage yourself if it doesn't fit correct.

6) Research other exercise methods. Riding a bike is quad dominant but does nothing for your upper body or glutes.
telus022420

by Pavel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:55 pm

Hey Mark,

I would highly recommend a stationary bike. I got mine two weeks ago and have been using a “spin” app for different workouts. This makes it much more efficient than a road bike, because resistance and speed can be adjusted anytime. Total cost $600
Pavel

by mjamero » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Pavel wrote:Hey Mark,

I would highly recommend a stationary bike. I got mine two weeks ago and have been using a “spin” app for different workouts. This makes it much more efficient than a road bike, because resistance and speed can be adjusted anytime. Total cost $600

Thanks Pavel. I own a stationary and a simple rower which I use in the winter when it's too cold or rainy to go out. I play Windsurfing videos while I work out to keep me motivated. However, it can still get boring after a while (by March and the first WS sessions are just around the corner). Ideally, if it's not raining and not slipper with snow/ice I'd prefer to be out getting fresh air and a change of scenery. I agree a stationary does have it's perks though in regards to resistance and convenience.
Last edited by mjamero on Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjamero

by mjamero » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:21 pm

SE2 wrote:I would recommend a "hybrid" model, midway between a mountain and a road bike. Light enough to be fast on the road yet sturdy enough to take some trail rides. A major feature that aides in this combination is the 27 inch (700 mm) wheel that is armed with a thinner tire than what you would find on a mountain bike. I live in White Rock so the 27 speeds I have gets me up and down any grade in town, though this would not be as necessary in Richmond. I bought this bike (Specialized Crosstrail) 10 years ago for under $1000.00 and the bike has not given me any grief over this time. Don't rule out CAPS Cycles in New West for information and purchase. Hope this helps.

Some great suggestions SE2. Thanks!
mjamero

by mjamero » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:27 pm

shmish wrote:I'll give you some examples from Giant bikes. Every decent manufacturer will have an equivalent bike that I'm showing (Brodie, Devinci, Specialized, etc). So the actual manufacturer doesn't matter a ton. Giant does have a good price point though, sometimes better than others.

Rule #1 get disc brakes
Rule #2 don't go too cheap
Rule #3: I wouldn't get anything cheaper than Shimano Sora. I strongly recommend Shimano 105 as the sweet spot for reliability, cost and effectiveness. Of course the more you ride, the easier it is to justify. I'm not sure what the SRAM equivalents are.

Fitness. Comfortable and a bit sporty: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-fastroad-sl

Endurance. Faster, more comfortable than a race bike, the Defy Advanced 3: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-defy-advanced

Gravel. More all-rounder, the Revolt gravel bike. Still pretty fast, a bit cheaper than a Defy, comfortable, better for wet weather because fenders will fit on it better, can use off-road: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-revolt-2021

I have several types of bikes, I've been using a bike similar to the Fastroad (but with an internal gear rear hub) for commuting for the past 8 years. If I were to get a new bike, I would get a gravel bike for winter riding, commuting, and some off-road rides.

Very detailed. Thanks!

As a "small" guy my height is 5.6 with a 30.5-31 inseam (just measure with the book in the croch trick :D ). That means I should be looking at a 16" frame? Road bikes are measured in sizes so at my size would I be a SM or XS?
mjamero

Next

Return to General