Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cycling for Boardheads

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by mjamero » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:32 pm

Does this look about right? At this stage I don't know what I don't know. Is the pricing inline for something like this? The size appears" to be inline with my size. No pedals? Is that a common personal thing to be omitted when buying a bike?

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch/bi ... 89991.html

If I can find one I think I'd prefer to get a good secondhand bike than a new one (unless it's a blowout clearance or something). I'll get more for the money secondhand I'm sure. Are there any bike shops that sell good used bikes? More than buying privately but cheaper than new.
mjamero

by telus022420 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:44 pm

telus022420

by LeopardSkin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:06 pm

shmish wrote:...and a bit sporty: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-fastroad-sl

:lol: One of my bikes is also a Giant Fastroad SL 1.
LeopardSkin

by lucas » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Ive worked in the cycling industry on and off for the past 20 years and can honestly say the most important aspect of buying a bike is sizing. Go into a reputable bike shop and get sized so you know what to look for, they should also be able to tell what style of bike to get based on where you are riding. Lots of deals to be found on used bikes but if its not the right size you wont get optimal performance and potentially cause unnecessary wear on your body.
lucas

by shmish » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:05 pm

mjamero wrote:Very detailed. Thanks!

As a "small" guy my height is 5.6 with a 30.5-31 inseam (just measure with the book in the croch trick :D ). That means I should be looking at a 16" frame? Road bikes are measured in sizes so at my size would I be a SM or XS?

I’m the same height and inseam. Years ago with mountain bikes I would say 16”. Road bike probably 50cm. But most bikes now are xs, s etc (I think). Probably small, that’s what my commuter is. Kind of depends on the bike. You’ll have to check them out in person anyways and definitely ride it. Even though stems and seat posts are adjustable, I think you’ll find that some bikes feel a lot better than others. The top tube length and head tube height really define the fit.
shmish

by shmish » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:18 pm

That Tarmac looks to be a good deal but I’m 99% sure it’s too big. If it’s convenient you could check it out but you still might think it’s ok without knowing that it’s too big. Maybe they’re communicating the bike size incorrectly though.

Not only might the step over height be too big but that’s a race bike so it will have a long reach even if it’s sized correctly. You’d have a very stretched out and aggressive position.
shmish

by shmish » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm

Fun fact: I swapped windsurfing for road racing in 1996 because I got tired of chasing wind by myself while working full time with 3 weeks holiday a year.
shmish

by telus022420 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:52 am

One company two shops.

http://www.rideon.com/used-bikes-vancouver/

What is it you want the bike for? A good workout - in which case you will get a heavy zero speed bike with rain/ice tires (20 minutes and your done) or a good ride with 24 speeds and low rolling resistance (ride for miles without breaking a sweat).

Safety. How fast can you go in a multi-user trail? Is it safe to ride in rain/ice or where there are lot of leaves? Width of tire - mtn widest, road bike narrow.

Bike adjustments - if you buy from a bike shop they will tune it for your body style. YOU have to FINE tune it. LEARN how to adjust for your body size.

Hopefully a good wind day today!
telus022420

by jtorva » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:43 am

I took up cycling this year to increase the amount of exercise I get since I hate running and I can't get out on water as often as I like.

I went the gravel bike route as it is the most versatile option for the riding we have available here. I go on many rides that will have a good mix of gravel, dirt, and tarmac. I personally went all out and got a Rondo Ruut (a brand out of poland). It has a steel chromoly frame, hydraulic disk brakes, and 1x11 drive train. https://rondo.cc/ruut-st,18,pl It's a 2019 so I was able to get a bit of deal on it.

There are so many options in the Gravel category now that it's almost hard to pick one. Main thing is to find something that fits well, fits your budget, and suits the riding you want to do.

Jordan
Jordan
jtorva

Previous

Return to General