Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay VS Tsawwassen

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by mjamero » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:08 am

General discussion on Boundary Bay versus Tsawwassen .

I've windsurfed BB occasionally but never Tsawwassen. The challenge with Boundary is even when wind forecast looks promising the tides often rule out a session due to the walk and fin clearance. The stars must align for session at BB. Also the weeds at Boundary are a PITA. Is Tsawwassen more accessible in regards to tides and weeds? At Tsawwassen can you launch from either side of the causeway? If so, one would think there should be more opportunities to sail Tsawwassen than Boundary. I prefer slalom windsurfing so do not need it to be cranking.
mjamero

by Brian C » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 am

Definitely more opportunities for slalom sailing at the ferry terminal than Centennial. I’ve sailed both sides and had fun on freeride gear there. Bryan Lewis sails slalom there often.
It is still subject to low tide issues and weeds, but not as much as Centennial. Have a look at the Tswassen sailing site info on this site for good detail on both launches.
Ps - never try to cross the highway with your gear! Use the correct parking area for the wind direction of the day.
Brian C

by Michael » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Brian C wrote:Definitely more opportunities for slalom sailing at the ferry terminal than Centennial.
Brian's correct. I used too sail there a lot, the weeds can be even worse over at the Terminal though. Get a weed fin, no PITA!!! I've seen a few slalom ones on Craigslist. The other issue is when it's SSE, which is the most common winter wind direction, it's on shore, which is not great. You can sail there though on a really low tide and if you park down near the boat launch, near the end of the causeway, there is little walk.
Michael

by Michael » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm

mjamero wrote:tides often rule out a session due to the walk and fin clearance

How big is you fin and what fin box do you have?
Michael

by Brian C » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:28 pm

Michael is right (of course) about SE winds being much better at Centennial. Tswassen works best on SW or NW, which don’t work well for centennial. Most of the sailing at Tswassen is from the boat ramp on a SW.
Brian C

by john m » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Tsawwassen has great flat water for learning to jibe and the wind direction doesn't really matter. Crescent beach is nice too.
john m

by john m » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:58 pm

Here is an old pic from the ferry terminal. Slalom conditions.
Attachments
windsurfing tsawwassen.JPG 2.jpg
Tsawwassen
windsurfing tsawwassen.JPG 2.jpg (534.58 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
john m

by Michael » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:31 pm

john m wrote:Here is an old pic from the ferry terminal. Slalom conditions.

Nice picture John, looks windy!
Michael

by Bryanl » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:19 pm

I love the Ferry Slip - just feel safe sailing there.
Wind is often as good as Centennial at the West End - same wind as Centennial often.
Waves can be just as good but there is more water so the waves come a little later.
To sail the s side you need 3' min - you can sail all the way down to 0' but you pretty much have to stay in the old Yacht Club channel.
The N Side is silting in more ea year - you need about 10' (same as BB) to sail there.
The Ferry Slip & Coal Port have dredged channels to keep silt away from them but it's led to more silting in the bay.
Added bonuses - short carry for gear & no sand.
Weed Fin req'd year round except at High Tide Winter & Spring
I often cross the Causeway to sail but never carry rigged gear.
Bryanl

by Slappy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:30 pm

I'm curious if it's only possible to ride fins first on certain types of freestyle wsurf boards? Personally for getting out through the shallows when kiting I just ride the board fins first until deep water.
Slappy

Next

Return to General