Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay VS Tsawwassen

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Ryan » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:26 am

Slappy wrote:I'm curious if it's only possible to ride fins first on certain types of freestyle wsurf boards? Personally for getting out through the shallows when kiting I just ride the board fins first until deep water.

It's possible but pretty much only pros can do it reliably.

Ryan

by Michael » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:42 am

Ryan wrote:
Slappy wrote:I'm curious if it's only possible to ride fins first on certain types of freestyle wsurf boards? Personally for getting out through the shallows when kiting I just ride the board fins first until deep water.

It's possible but pretty much only pros can do it reliably.

Nice! I was picturing what the crashes would look like when reading Slappy's post and that's pretty much what I had in mind. :lol: Would be interesting on slalom gear! To your point Slappy you can really ride the rail and that helps a bit when causing out through the tide pools in Boundary Bay.
Michael

by mjamero » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:33 pm

john m wrote:Here is an old pic from the ferry terminal. Slalom conditions.

Epic pic John. Do you recall what time of the year that was? Were you on a regular or weed fin? Looks like you were pretty lit up. I'd like to catch a few sessions like that at Tsawwassen.
mjamero

by mjamero » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Michael wrote:
mjamero wrote:tides often rule out a session due to the walk and fin clearance

How big is you fin and what fin box do you have?

Tuttle. Slalom fins in the 45-50cm kind of range.

I did a light wind slalom session at Centennial a couple weeks ago on a medium high tide with a regular fin. Weeds were already annoying. I'm hoping it's easier to get by with a regular fin on the Tswwassen side of the point.
mjamero

by john m » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:47 pm

12” finworks weed fin, it would have been in the fall. I use only weed fins in Tsawwassen, much safer when you hit the sandbar.
john m

by Michael » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:39 pm

mjamero wrote:Tuttle. Slalom fins in the 45-50cm kind of range.

mjamero wrote:I'm hoping it's easier to get by with a regular fin on the Tswwassen side of the point.

45-50cm, if I may quote Dave here, "that's like sailing with a rake" :D Why the resistance to buy a weed fin, it's worth the money, especially as in fall, winter and spring you can get great sailing at Crescent Breach , White Rock and Tsawwassen. You could test out my 28cm Makani Mano if you want.
Michael

by john m » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:31 pm

I have some bigger tuttle weed fins you could test out. A weed fin will never feel as locked in as a slalom fin. I just bought an american box fin from Makaini and had to cut a bit off the back to get the fin to fit. Turns out you can order the fin to your personal size.
john m

by mjamero » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:01 am

Thanks for the offer to test out fins Michael and John. I do own a couple tuttle weed fins which I bought for use on another board. I sold the board a while ago (actually to YOU I think John :D ) and never used the fins. I have them posted on Craigslist at the moment because I thought they would be too small for effective slalom sailing and the likely bigger sail sizes. Perhaps I'm wrong. The biggest is a 11.5" (29cm) fin works. Up to what sail size should I be able to use with this? What fin/sail combos are you using for slalom style sailing at Tsawwassen/BB?
mjamero

by mjamero » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:21 am

Regarding Tsawwassen.

What are the wind directions and tides that can typically be sailed for both the north and south sides of the causeway?
mjamero

by mjamero » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:29 am

What is the link to the Tsawwassen sailing site info? I can't seem to find it in the WTFBC side bar.

Could someone in the know kindly do up a detailed Google map image of Tsawwassen circling the north and south launch points with wind directions? Also, hazard notes on the map would be useful: sand bars, clearance, rocks, piles, piers, wind shadows, currents, water traffic, power lines for kites etc etc.

This time of year many of us are looking to expand our sailing location options.Tsawwassen is of particular interest to me this season.
mjamero

PreviousNext

Return to General