Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Looking for La Ventana Driving Partners

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by joeblo » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:01 am

I am leaving for Baja in the first week of January to go to La Ventana. I am driving a diesel class c custom motorhome that has lots of storage for sporting gear. I am intending to come back in late February and am looking for a travelling companion or two to share expenses and experience of the drive.
Although I want to zip down to the Mexico/USA border in about 2 days, I would be willing to adopt a more leisurely schedule once we are in the sunshine and warmth of Mexico. I am planning to take the Mexicali border crossing as some of the La Ventana locals have told me it is faster and has less traffic. I have also driven the Pacific route several times. I would be willing to stop at Scorpion Bay ( San Juanico) and Punta Abreojos to check out the water sports there. Punta San Carlos may be in the works on the return trip.
I live in Coquitlam, a suburb of Vancouver and will be leaving from there.
Please get in touch if you would like to talk about it in more detail.
Thanks
joeblo

by Ryan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:34 am

I hope you come back with some floaty shakas.
Ryan

by joeblo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:40 am

Yeah me too! If not, you can teach me. Sounds like you are having fun! Do you have a blog like Adrien does for his trip? I enjoy following along and living vicariously from rainy, dark, cold, Vancouver.
joeblo

by Ryan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:35 pm

We're back now, no blog just the wtfbc post.

I think pulling the front toes up aggressively hard on take off is the key to getting the rotation (assuming a good gentle carve while over the board to setup, try to lean towards the nose of the board while doing the initial carve), tightening my front straps helped to get more control of the board angle, I used to have them very loose.
To summarise: Gentle carve sheeted out, then split microsecond very aggressive carve where front toes are pulled up hard, and sail is sheeted in aggressively while pushing front hand at the same time.

Once in the air you just keep pushing really hard with the front hand, pulling with the backhand and bend hard at the waist, try to get hips as close to the sail as possible. Hold the position until the nose hits the water (don't let go any earlier), everything else just happens and you sail away.
Ryan

by joeblo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:52 pm

:D Bastard!!! Thanks for the tips
joeblo

Return to General