Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Duties on Windurfing Gear?

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by mjamero » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Do we pay duties on Windsurfing gear from the US? I am considering bringing in some sails directly from Sailworks. Obviously the 12% tax applies but what about duties? Sailworks are a US company however they are actually made in China. Are sails duty free?
User avatar
mjamero
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:06 pm

by Pavel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 pm

If you tell the seller that it's for import, then they won't charge you the local tax. So you won't get dinged twice. As for duty, it might be cheaper to stay over there for a night to increase your limit.
Pavel
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:22 pm

by grantmac » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Oregon has no sales tax. Staying a few days will increase your personal limit.
grantmac
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:53 pm

by mjamero » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:41 am

Pavel wrote:If you tell the seller that it's for import, then they won't charge you the local tax. So you won't get dinged twice. As for duty, it might be cheaper to stay over there for a night to increase your limit.


Very true Pavel.
User avatar
mjamero
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:06 pm

by mjamero » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 am

grantmac wrote:Oregon has no sales tax. Staying a few days will increase your personal limit.


Very good point Grant. No taxes in Oregon is pretty sweet.

I was just down to Hood River over the Labour Day weekend but maybe a trip down again is in store. After 48 hours we are good for an $800 CAD exemption. My wife and I would go together so $1600 exemption should cover what I need from Sailworks.

I am still curious though, if I ship it up if there are duties or not.
User avatar
mjamero
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:06 pm

by ezzylover » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:51 am

Yes you will for sure pay duties if you ship it, Canada post will make sure of that.
ship to point roberts and you might be able to sneak it in , but that s a risk.
ezzylover
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:31 am

by arg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:33 am

Yup, I just checked with a friend who has had sails shipped up. Sails were delivered to an address in Point Roberts (there are several commercial operations). All taxes were paid (PST & GST) upon crossing the border back into Canada, which is essentially the 'duty' on most items (alcohol, has a whole other level of duty if over the limits posted on the Government of Canada website). So, it comes down to a personal preference, is a fun side trip to Hood River worth the time and effort and $ this time of year (beer in Portland, wine in Wilamette Valley, mountain biking, etc.), or just ship it up to Point Roberts or any operation in Blaine or Sumas, depending on where you can get to.

Question; storm season is almost here, why the hurry to get big sails now?
arg
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 12:38 pm

by mjamero » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 pm

arg wrote:Yup, I just checked with a friend who has had sails shipped up. Sails were delivered to an address in Point Roberts (there are several commercial operations). All taxes were paid (PST & GST) upon crossing the border back into Canada, which is essentially the 'duty' on most items (alcohol, has a whole other level of duty if over the limits posted on the Government of Canada website). So, it comes down to a personal preference, is a fun side trip to Hood River worth the time and effort and $ this time of year (beer in Portland, wine in Wilamette Valley, mountain biking, etc.), or just ship it up to Point Roberts or any operation in Blaine or Sumas, depending on where you can get to.

Question; storm season is almost here, why the hurry to get big sails now?


I spoke to CBSA today for clarification. According to them, windsurfing sails are subject to 16% duty. Taxes are then calculated on top of that (Taxes on the duties as well). Pretty crazy. I wonder how your friend was able to bring the sails across and only pay the taxes? Do you know what company he used to ship to in Point Roberts?

Yeah, I won't really need the big sails until the spring time. However, Sailworks has sales on 2017's at the moment. If I wait to the spring I'll either be stuck with limited selection or, have to pay full pop for 2018's.
User avatar
mjamero
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:06 pm

by arg » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Mark,
Point Roberts, one organization is TSB.
Myself, I use Ship Happens based in Sumas. Inconvenient unless I spend a weekend at Mt baker.
(My guess is that the Customs Agent didn't dig deep enough to catch the fact that the Sailworks sails purchased from Oregon were in fact manufactured Overseas, and thus only paid 'NAFTA' duties. My friend's experience was likely a case of, drive up to the agent and claim everything, pay the tax, be on your way, and have a good day.)
arg
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 12:38 pm

by Bryanl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:15 pm

If the Customs Agent happens to find the "Made In China" Label.
Tariffs & Duties can go up 40 something percent.
Best is to go down - stay down - & use the $800 exemption
Bryanl
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:46 am

Next

Return to General