Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

New Years 2018

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Faceplant » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Looking to go away with the family over X-mas and new years this year. My favourite place so far is Baja. Been there 4 times. It is super chill, good surf, wind, fishing, food, cheap.

The wife and I have been trying to find a place where we can go with our 3 year old and enjoy life. No need for party scene, or nightlife. No need for all inclusive resorts.

So far looked at Cabarete (too night clubby, touristy), Maui (us dollar vs cad), Madagascar (possibly- but 3-4 days total travel time) Egypt (wife says no), Belize (no kiting but good reefs, not sure of how touristy it is) Cape Town, Sri Lanka.

Any ideas of quiet Beach destinations where you can explore? I liked the last trip to Baja, we rented a jeep and travelled all over the place.
Faceplant

by C36 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 pm

No direct experience with any of these (but know people that have gone to all), but all likely worth taking a look at or seeking advise from those that have gone:
  • Cuba (cheap, kite wind, safe, culture)
  • Costa Rica (surf and windy mountain lake, fairly close)
  • Argentina (cheap, surf, wavesailing, but far)
  • Brazil (wind and wind swell, remote beach towns like Jeri, but far)
  • New Zealand (surf and wavesailing, reverse seasons, but far)
C36

by keeldude » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49 am

It can be good to go with the sure thing, which sounds like Baja could well be. My friends spent a week in Belize on a tiny island, maybe touristy but a quieter pace. I would think the trade winds are pretty steady from the NE especially in winter, no? But its on the American dollar I think. But I really enjoy the Phillippines. Steady wind and waves most of year. Inexpensive once you are there but quite far. Look up Pagudpud in Northern Luzon, quieter but nice beaches, resorts, and steady wind and windswell (nearby wind farm). It's definitely on the remote side, though you can fly Manila to Laoag, then hire transport. Everyone speaks English very well too. Cebu may be a more family oriented place.. closer to modern health care ;) I split my lip open surfing on Siargao island (very remote) and was faced with either patching myself up or ferry 10hrs to a city with a modern ish hospital the next day...Philippines are, after all, still a developing nation. Beautiful place.
keeldude

by letsflykites » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:00 am

Someplace with wind, or just someplace rad to spend X number of days with the family?
“Excitement is the more practical synonym for happiness, and it is precisely what you should strive to chase. It is the cure-all.”
― Timothy Ferriss, The 4-Hour Workweek
letsflykites

by Faceplant » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks for the ideas dudes. Wind would be great, but not necessary. Warm water would be nice. Safe, good food. That's about it. Rustic hut would be fine. Fishing? Snorkelling?
Faceplant

by Slappy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 pm

If you are going for over two weeks it's worth it to give Thailand a shot.

Koh Phangan would be my recommendation, don't worry outside of the one party beach the island is very chill and great. Getting to the island is a bit of a hassle though, you can fly from Bankok to Koh Samui or take 20 hours of bus+boat.

Hua Hin is okay too, but nowhere near as good and a lot easier to get to from Bangkok.

If what you really want to do is explore then there are lots of remote places a few hours drive South of Hua Hin with good kiting.

If you are willing to fly with a Chinese carrier and have a stop in some random Chinese city you can get return flights for under $900.
Slappy

by letsflykites » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 pm

Consider tooting around Nicaragua. Lago Ometepe, Granada, San Juan del Sur(f), Masaya. You can easily pop into Costa Rica too.

Or the Galápagos Islands are a great two week trip. Definitely worth checking out.
“Excitement is the more practical synonym for happiness, and it is precisely what you should strive to chase. It is the cure-all.”
― Timothy Ferriss, The 4-Hour Workweek
letsflykites

Return to General