Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay Fundraiser for FREE Cam /Wind Meter at 3rd Av!

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by bandito » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:29 am

Michael wrote:
Slappy wrote:I would just focus on quality wind data, the weatherflow "sky" station looks great but I don't think it's shipping yet:

I agree we should focus on wind data as we do have a good camera up. I talked to the guys at iwindsurf about using the "sky station" but it will not be ready for a long time.

If we have found someone willing to host a station why not get the iwindsurf one installed there. I know you guys want a free access station but we need money up front and if anything goes wrong with it we have to fix it and that costs more money. The other good thing about the iwindsurf one is it uses a 20W solar panel so no power and we don't need a phone line, it has a GPRS modem which means no cost to the host or us. It's also on another level as far as equipment goes. This is the new one and it cost $5000..... they will also install it for us.

Please consider this??

I am not interested in iwindsurf contacts or affiliation of any sort for this project, same as "sponsors" that took over when "they " can have made this happen a longgggggggggggggg time ago. and I appreciate this to be a small project and not interested to use the house rooftop or walls for it or lend my contact for it. I fear this may become a power debate and im not interested in that. Do not try to Snake me on this or create difficulties and impediment to this project anybody. this s a fundraiser I started, IM me personally if your idea diff a lot from that. so far , SWS idea make possibly some sense as I am also a member(but I disagree wt some direction issues), offer for $ from people make sense and thank you. if camera is too much, then I will go for wind meter only. im also thinking other spots, that's why the cam be nice. as using rooftop or side of walls,theres a bunch of legality, cost, insurance, and ownership wt contracts that I am NOT interested in at this point but may be when I start Banditowinds lol ok boys n girls , more about this in a week or so. Ah, I bet the guies from iwindsurf don't like my idea and rushing to fix there end of your 100$ You paid. FREE winder and Free spirit, To ME! lets do it n bypass them all.
bandito

by Michael » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 am

It was just a suggestion. I just want to get a sensor up and running so please keep doing what your doing and I'm up for putting in some funds for a sensor.
Michael

by bandito » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:09 am

wow, the decent wind sensor that are wireless n solar power n seem durable n easy to connect to a system are actually not as cheap as I tought. so far the only one who seem ok is

http://rainwise.com/wunderground/

You guies let me know what you think. it sure is not cheap at 999$us plus shipping .
Last edited by bandito on Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandito

by bandito » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:33 am

Slappy wrote:Why setup another camera when we already have a good one?

I would just focus on quality wind data, the weatherflow "sky" station looks great but I don't think it's shipping yet:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weat ... stations#/

this one look cheap but it seem to work on a diff way to read the wind and would cost like 150$ us on production.... maybe that's the way to go. Lets get in touch wt those guies and discuss whats up and if we can get one to beta test at the bay! im concern about the durability , but by be simple, it may last over 5 years with only battery need replacing....
bandito

by Faceplant » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:47 am

I used weather underground for Nicola lake for a few years as did many others. I liked the app, and the data.
As mentioned, I'll be happy to contribute towards any system that is decided on.
Faceplant

by C36 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:49 am

It would likely be worth asking the good folks at BWD (Columbia Beach and Gordon's Beach) and/or NSKA (Locust and Dogfish) for their advise - SWS too, but they only operate one (what sensors are they using, , are they happy with them, any others they think should be considered). They have a great deal of experience with set-up, operation and maintence of private sensors and it would be good to benefit for their experience and ovoid pitfalls they know about.

I'd be willing to contribute as well (once the project has been scoped out).
C36

by bandito » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:31 pm

Im Snowboarding full time right now, maybe Faceplant will hold the torch.... I can assist wt physical installation once you got the thing ready. My mind and hart is at Cypress making fresh tracks in the woods. Team Yellow division Hardcore is Insane! Snow camp everyday till legs are rubber!!!!!!!!!!!! LUV IT!
bandito

by Mike » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:35 am

Hi Bandito - as an injured/trying to recover windsurfer/kiter I'm not sure I've crossed paths with you.

I've been suggesting and followed up with iwindsurf re using the centennial beach cafe. I understand from other Mike at the beach yesterday that they consider that too far from the water...

I saw and respect your response to iwindsurf using your possible location. You were taking the initiative and that was awesome! Now that you are"passing the torch" perhaps an idea is we could pass your contact to iwindsurf?? You could pass it to someone you has/had a membership or pm me the information and I will forward.
Mike

by Alton » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:35 pm

boundarybaybrian from kiteboardbc wrote:Saddens me to inform you that Ryan lost his life yesterday in a fatal car crash. Ryan was a father of a young family, firefighter and a new Kiteboarder. Ryan lived on the beach where we launch from, He lived in the yellow house on the beach where we had the the kite community camera . If Ryan had seen a kiter on the beach either self launching or landing he would come out and help.
RIP

Not sure how accurate this information is but Benito's contact may have passed away
Alton

by Faceplant » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:56 pm

Brutal. Bummer. Sad. It shows you how quick it can all be gone. We need to give'r each day cuz you never know when it's your time.
Faceplant

Previous

Return to General